One pastry's hefty price tag leaves bitter taste in one mum's mouth

In an era where the cost of living is a hot topic, every dollar counts.

It's no wonder that the price of everyday items is under the microscope.

For many Australians, finding ways to stretch the budget is more critical than ever.

So, when a simple pleasure comes with a hefty price tag, it's bound to raise eyebrows and spark a conversation about the value of these treats.

Deborah Knight's experience, which she shared with a mix of disbelief and resignation, was a telling sign of the times.

While out with her daughter in Sydney's Inner West, Deb stumbled upon a local coffee shop selling biscuits at a price that seemed to defy logic.

The biscuits were admittedly larger than an average homemade treat and came in tempting flavours like chocolate chip, salted caramel, and Nutella.

compressed-pexels-cookies.jpeg
Chocolate chip biscuits are a cafe staple, and often paired with coffee for a balance of flavour. Image Credit: Pexels/Georgie Devlin

However, each biscuit came with a $8.50 price tag, which took Deborah aback.

'To be honest, I didn't take much notice of how much it cost while my daughter made her choice and the biscuit was handed to her,' she wrote.

'I'd assumed it would be a few dollars. But just as she was about to take a bite, and as I was paying, I was stunned at the price. Who pays $8.50 for a biscuit?'

This isn't just about a biscuit; it's about the broader implications of the rising costs of living and how it affects daily choices.

As Deborah pointed out, during tough economic times, we often see an increase in the sales of luxury items—indulgences that can boost morale without breaking the bank.

Yet, when it comes to food, the line between necessity and luxury can get blurred.

The phenomenon of 'Instagrammable' treats also played a particular role in inflating prices.

Social media has turned certain foods into must-have experiences, with people willing to queue and pay premium prices to take photos and share their latest food finds.

For those who remember the days of Layby—when you saved and paid for items over time, only taking them home once they were fully paid for—this new trend of instant gratification at high prices could be jarring.

This story might serve as a reminder to be vigilant about where our money goes, especially regarding small purchases.

It's time to revisit the joys of homemade treats.

Not only do they come with a sense of accomplishment, but they also offer the opportunity to control what goes into them, both in terms of ingredients and cost.

Baking can also evoke some nostalgia and be an opportunity to share a batch of freshly baked biscuits with your family and grandchildren—a simple pleasure that, thankfully, doesn't come with an $8.50 price tag.
Key Takeaways

• Writer and mum Deborah Knight was taken aback by the price of a $8.50 biscuit in a local coffee shop and considered it excessive in tough economic times.
  • The popularity and social media influence on certain food items could inflate their prices due to their Instagrammable nature.
  • Despite high prices, people still purchase them, and sales of luxury items could increase during economic downturns.
  • Knight reflected on this experience, and she considered making homemade biscuits as a cost-effective alternative.
Have you experienced sticker shock at the price of everyday items lately? What are your tips for enjoying life's little luxuries without letting them take over your budget? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
That price is so unrealistic in today’s cost of living crisis. They look like they are homemade, which is even more of a rip off, would be lucky to cost that much for the ingredients for a whole batch of them. Hopefully they do end up having stale biscuits and have to throw them out. Just desserts for trying to rip people off.

Look before you leap!! Always check out a menu on line, then again at the restaurant/coffee shop before buying and blaming the seller. If they can get away with a ridiculous price (& make you the idiot in the bargain) then you only have yourself to blame.

Look before you leap!! Always check out a menu on line, then again at the restaurant/coffee shop before buying and blaming the seller. If they can get away with a ridiculous price (& make you the idiot in the bargain) then you only have yourself to blame.
What a sad response. Yes it is best to check prices but we all make decisions on the spot which we regret later.

Reactions: Iggydi
Anyone who frequents a coffee shop needs their heads read.... $5.80 for a cup of code and $8.50 for a biscuit..... stark raving mad.
I see pies for $6.00..... the cost of 7 pies from Aldi. Give me a break.....

And one wonders why all these cafes and restaurants are closing their doors. I have no sympathy for such businesses who triple or quadruple the price of items. For example, what I wrote in the article regarding Cosi Restaurant being stooged by a counterfeit $100 note.

Looking at the Cosi menu, you would be lucky to get change from $350 for a two person meal. Who would pay $15 for corkage? And they charge $100 more for a bottle of Dom Perignon Brut than Dan Murphy. A crazy $16.90 for a 30 (?) mL nip of Maker's Mark Bourbon. This means that Cosi is getting a return of $390 on a bottle that costs $62!

And $8.50 for a dried up offering of dough which cost 20 cents for ingredients and to produce!

Anyone who frequents a coffee shop needs their heads read.... $5.80 for a cup of code and $8.50 for a biscuit..... stark raving mad.
So does Aldi do the washing up? Pay insurance, rent and staff when they cook a pie for you as well?

So does Aldi do the washing up? Pay insurance, rent and staff when they cook a pie for you as well?
I have previously addressed this when it comes to the cost of eating at such overpriced establishments. You can't tell me that for a $100 meal that costs less than 25% for the raw materials, such overheads come to more than $75? Are the staff on $100 per hour plus. Does electricity cost $5 per kWh? Is the insurance cost $50000 per year, rent $5000 per week?

Oh dear!!

Reactions: Iggydi
Never had a cup of code what is it a new type of coffee ☕

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Iggydi and marni
What a sad responsiie. Yles it is best to check prices but we all make decisions on the spot which we regret later.
Marni , yes we do not check prices, as we should . But sometimes we forget.
Life would be full if, we had to remember all the time to check the prices. Unfortunately for us we learn our lessons very slowly.
If those things are really that
Pricey, we would sooner or later
wake up. Where not going there
again. Light Dawn's eventually.