One mum is furious after Kmart cookware puts households at risk

Being mindful of safety at home is paramount, especially when it comes to our kitchens.

Because a kitchen mishap can quickly turn a regular afternoon meal into a potentially hazardous situation—as one Australian mum discovered the hard way.

Imagine preparing a meal for your family, only to have your cookware explode, sending shards of glass flying across the room.

This is the terrifying experience that a mother recently shared on social media, where she warned others about the potential dangers of Kmart's glass cookware.

SDC Images (7).png
Mum shared her experience of a Kmart cookware exploding in her kitchen. Image source: Facebook.

The incident occurred when the mother was cooking dinner using a pot purchased from Kmart.

She had just removed the lid to check on the food when, without warning, the lid exploded in her hands.

Shards of glass flew across the room, embedding in her hands and contaminating the food.

'I had taken the lid off to check it, and as I went to put it back on, it just exploded in my face. Luckily, I turned away and just got the shards in my hands,' she recounted.

The explosion was so powerful that shards of glass reached as far as the living room carpet, where her seven-month-old daughter had been playing in her walker just moments before.

The mum was understandably furious and terrified, as the incident could have resulted in serious injury to her child.

She also shared that the dinner being cooked had to be thrown away as there were shards of glass all over the dish.

This is not an isolated incident. In recent weeks, there have been other reports of Kmart cookware shattering unexpectedly.

Another woman reported that the lid of her steamer, also purchased from Kmart, suddenly smashed while she was using it. She had been using the steamer for two months before it broke.

In response to these incidents, a Kmart spokesperson stated that their cooking sets meet safety standards and are regularly tested.

They also noted that glass cookware could explode when it is damaged. However, this explanation does little to assuage the fears of customers who have experienced these frightening incidents.

'While this product complies with safety standards and is regularly tested, we encourage this customer to reach out to us directly so that we can fully investigate,' the spokesperson said.

The Safety of Glass Cookware: What You Need to Know

Glass cookware is popular for its aesthetic appeal and its ability to withstand high cooking temperatures. However, it also has a reputation for being fragile and prone to shattering, especially when subjected to sudden temperature changes.

This phenomenon, known as thermal shock, occurs when glass is rapidly heated or cooled. It can cause the glass to expand or contract, leading to stress fractures that can result in the glass shattering.

To minimise the risk of thermal shock, it's important to avoid subjecting glass cookware to sudden temperature changes. For example, don't place a hot glass dish on a cold surface, or a cold glass dish in a hot oven.

It's also crucial to inspect your glass cookware regularly for any signs of damage. Even a small chip or crack can weaken the glass and increase the risk of it shattering.

If you notice any damage, stop using the cookware immediately.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum is furious after her Kmart cookware exploded, sending shards of glass throughout the house.
  • She shared a picture of the pot lid which she claimed exploded without warning causing an injury on her hands.
  • Her main concern was her seven-month-old daughter, who had been playing at her feet minutes before the pot lid exploded.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated that their cooking sets meet safety standards but advised the customer to reach out so they can fully investigate. It is the second time an incident of this nature has been reported in recent weeks.
In light of these incidents, it's clear that consumers need to be aware of the potential risks associated with glass cookware. While it can be a useful addition to your kitchen, it's important to handle it with care to ensure your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

Have you experienced any issues with the cookware you’ve purchased from Kmart? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Mikeyboy2012
Sponsored
Why are kmart making excuses !

They also noted that glass cookware could explode when it is damaged.

How well is the cookware tested ?

My goodness, this could have had serious consequences, I'm glad no one was seriously injured.

Everyone knows that glass cookware or glass lids cannot go straight from fridge to oven/ stove, but in this case it sounds like she was just checking it and replacing lid

Last edited:
Being mindful of safety at home is paramount, especially when it comes to our kitchens.

Because a kitchen mishap can quickly turn a regular afternoon meal into a potentially hazardous situation—as one Australian mum discovered the hard way.

Imagine preparing a meal for your family, only to have your cookware explode, sending shards of glass flying across the room.

This is the terrifying experience that a mother recently shared on social media, where she warned others about the potential dangers of Kmart's glass cookware.

View attachment 36322
Mum shared her experience of a Kmart cookware exploding in her kitchen. Image source: Facebook.

The incident occurred when the mother was cooking dinner using a pot purchased from Kmart.

She had just removed the lid to check on the food when, without warning, the lid exploded in her hands.

Shards of glass flew across the room, embedding in her hands and contaminating the food.

'I had taken the lid off to check it, and as I went to put it back on, it just exploded in my face. Luckily, I turned away and just got the shards in my hands,' she recounted.

The explosion was so powerful that shards of glass reached as far as the living room carpet, where her seven-month-old daughter had been playing in her walker just moments before.

The mum was understandably furious and terrified, as the incident could have resulted in serious injury to her child.

She also shared that the dinner being cooked had to be thrown away as there were shards of glass all over the dish.

This is not an isolated incident. In recent weeks, there have been other reports of Kmart cookware shattering unexpectedly.

Another woman reported that the lid of her steamer, also purchased from Kmart, suddenly smashed while she was using it. She had been using the steamer for two months before it broke.

In response to these incidents, a Kmart spokesperson stated that their cooking sets meet safety standards and are regularly tested.

They also noted that glass cookware could explode when it is damaged. However, this explanation does little to assuage the fears of customers who have experienced these frightening incidents.

'While this product complies with safety standards and is regularly tested, we encourage this customer to reach out to us directly so that we can fully investigate,' the spokesperson said.

The Safety of Glass Cookware: What You Need to Know

Glass cookware is popular for its aesthetic appeal and its ability to withstand high cooking temperatures. However, it also has a reputation for being fragile and prone to shattering, especially when subjected to sudden temperature changes.

This phenomenon, known as thermal shock, occurs when glass is rapidly heated or cooled. It can cause the glass to expand or contract, leading to stress fractures that can result in the glass shattering.

To minimise the risk of thermal shock, it's important to avoid subjecting glass cookware to sudden temperature changes. For example, don't place a hot glass dish on a cold surface, or a cold glass dish in a hot oven.

It's also crucial to inspect your glass cookware regularly for any signs of damage. Even a small chip or crack can weaken the glass and increase the risk of it shattering.

If you notice any damage, stop using the cookware immediately.
Key Takeaways

• A mum is furious after her Kmart cookware exploded, sending shards of glass throughout the house.
  • She shared a picture of the pot lid which she claimed exploded without warning causing an injury on her hands.
  • Her main concern was her seven-month-old daughter, who had been playing at her feet minutes before the pot lid exploded.
  • A Kmart spokesperson stated that their cooking sets meet safety standards but advised the customer to reach out so they can fully investigate. It is the second time an incident of this nature has been reported in recent weeks.
In light of these incidents, it's clear that consumers need to be aware of the potential risks associated with glass cookware. While it can be a useful addition to your kitchen, it's important to handle it with care to ensure your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

Have you experienced any issues with the cookware you’ve purchased from Kmart? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.
I've never had an issue with glass lids (this seems to be the main issue) I always fold a tea towel and put it on the bench and put the removed lid on it. Stops the "cold" bench from setting off a reaction. I know about glass fracture due to heat and cold. We had a glass table on the back patio and it shattered due to same issue. Especially relevant if the lid has a metal edge on it.

Why are kmart making excuses !

They also noted that glass cookware could explode when it is damaged.

How well is the cookware tested ?

My goodness, this could have had serious consequences, I'm glad no one was seriously injured.

Everyone knows that glass cookware or glass lids font go straight from fridge to oven/ stove, but in this case it sounds like she was just checking it and replacing lid
I've just looked at the lid again. It has a metal rim around the edge. This is where the problem lies. The metal contracts quickly and crushes the edges of the glass making it break. We had an outdoor glass table do the same thing. Metal surround, expands and contracts, not enough room for that so the glass is pushed until it breaks. Not much you can do about it if it happens. Just be aware

I've just looked at the lid again. It has a metal rim around the edge. This is where the problem lies. The metal contracts quickly and crushes the edges of the glass making it break. We had an outdoor glass table do the same thing. Metal surround, expands and contracts, not enough room for that so the glass is pushed until it breaks. Not much you can do about it if it happens. Just be aware
I have Wiltshire pots with similar lids ,after years of use have had no problems , pay the extra and get better quality,simple.

I have Wiltshire pots with similar lids ,after years of use have had no problems , pay the extra and get better quality,simple.
People buy these products at KMart because they're cheap and then complain. Unfortunately if you buy a cheap product then it pays to expect you will get poor quality .
But unfortunately so many people cannot afford the price of quality cookware.
Better to buy ones with metal lids.

People buy these products at KMart because they're cheap and then complain. Unfortunately if you buy a cheap product then it pays to expect you will get poor quality .
But unfortunately so many people cannot afford the price of quality cookware.
Better to buy ones with metal lids.
I have both ,ones with metal have copper base

I've learned quality can mean nothing if it is up against science. Most of the edge rims on these lids are aluminium. It is much more prone to expansion and contraction under heat and cold. For the most part it will be fine as the manufacturer will have taken this into account. Cheaper ones not so much but there is always the exception that proves the rule. I still will always put my glass lid on a tea towel to stop the quick cool down

Dare I say, you get what you pay for!!
Not really. as I said in another post these lids have an aluminium edge. This is very prone to expansion and contraction no matter what the price. Manufacturers if they are good ones will err on the side of caution and allow for this but you can still get a faulty one. Just got to be careful and not put them down on cold bench tops straight off the hot pot

I've learned quality can mean nothing if it is up against science. Most of the edge rims on these lids are aluminium. It is much more prone to expansion and contraction under heat and cold. For the most part it will be fine as the manufacturer will have taken this into account. Cheaper ones not so much but there is always the exception that proves the rule. I still will always put my glass lid on a tea towel to stop the quick cool down
Totally agree

About 8 years ago, I had a genuine rectangular Pyrex baking dish explode on me - a totally unexpected event. I placed it on a turned off induction cooktop element that was not glowing and unbeknown to me, it was used a few minutes prior. Thankfully it didn't have any food in it and it wasn't mine. :LOL: But sure made a mess of the kitchen bench and floor!

I had a whole glass oven door explode while using the grill. Didn't realize it was supposed to be ajar when cooking. Secondhand house at the time with no instruction manual left for the oven.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
About 8 years ago, I had a genuine rectangular Pyrex baking dish explode on me - a totally unexpected event. I placed it on a turned off induction cooktop element that was not glowing and unbeknown to me, it was used a few minutes prior. Thankfully it didn't have any food in it and it wasn't mine. :LOL: But sure made a mess of the kitchen bench and floor!
Just as well the exploding baking dish didn’t make a mess of you or anyone else who could’ve been in the kitchen! 🤕

Just as well the exploding baking dish didn’t make a mess of you or anyone else who could’ve been in the kitchen! 🤕
It didn't do me any damage but I standing about 30 cm from it. I was hit in the torso but well insulated by clothing. Maybe if I was standing a metre or so away, it might have been a different story, looking at trajectory the shards took!

• Wow
Reactions: magpie1 and DLHM
You know I had an outdoor glass table , a small one that did this.

Maybe companies need to look at this.

So maybe kmart is at fault or at least who they are buying it from.

You want to believe you are buying Australian approved items from kmart. And that's why I don't buy much from dollar shops

Reactions: magpie1
Common sense never put hot on cold ,that includes Pyrex dishes.