One grandma has a hilarious ranking system for her grandkids – but some say it’s ‘toxic’

We all know that family can be a bit of a minefield. No matter how close we are to our relatives, there's always going to be the odd disagreement here and there.

But usually, these little spats are nothing too serious and they blow over quickly. However, every now and then, something happens that really tests the strength of our family bonds.

For one grandmother, in particular, that moment came when her comedian grandson showed her his new tattoos...which resulted in him being bumped down several spots on her 'leaderboard'.

Yep - you read that right; this grandma has a leaderboard where she ranks her grandchildren from 1st to 10th place. And apparently, she takes it very seriously...

Comedian Dan LaMorte from New York recently went viral after sharing a video of his grandmother's unique family ranking system. In the footage, which has now been viewed more than 1.6 million times on the popular platform TikTok, he explained: ‘This is my grandma's ranking board. She has a wooden board where she ranks the 10 grandchildren from 1st to 10th - all of our faces on magnets.’

Screenshot_2.png
Dan’s best performance in his grandma’s ranking board. Credit: TikTok/@danlamorte

Dan explained that the best he’s ever ranked is fourth on the list and that he was quite worried about how his grandmother would take the news of his two new tattoos.

The clip then cuts to him asking his grandmother: ‘What do you think of my brand new tattoos, Granny?’

She then said: ‘Ugh, this is what I think of your new tattoos.’

LaMorte's grandma wasted no time in moving him down several spots on her rankings list; from fourth place down to tenth! Ouch...

Unsurprisingly, perhaps given how funny it is, Dan's video soon racked up almost 200,000 hearts (likes), over 10,000 shares, and more than 1000 comments as people rushed to share their thoughts about what they'd seen; with some branding LaMorte's gran 'brutal' for her actions.

‘And I thought my family was toxic…,’ said one user jokingly with a laughing emoji.

Another shared: ‘This is heartbreaking to think about.’

Screenshot_4.png
Dan’s grandma looks on in horror as he shows off his new ink. Credit: TikTok/@danlamorte

For the most part though, many found the video funny, with some even demanding more videos about grandma's ranking system. (Ahem, Netflix…)

‘This needs to be a series; I need to know every time someone moves up or down and why,’ said one hooked viewer.

‘What if you tattooed grandma’s picture?’, asked another.

Surprisingly as well, some had similar tales to tell!

One user shared: ‘My grandma had something similar, but it was the size of a dessert bowl. So after dinner each night it was like a big reveal.’

Key Takeaways

• US Comedian Dan Lamorte uploaded a viral TikTok where his grandma downgraded his rank in the family leaderboard over two new tattoos
  • Dan sled from fourth place --- his highest record yet --- to bottom 10th
  • While few users said the grandma was 'toxic' for ranking her grandkids, most appreciated the humor in the comedian's family-themed video
  • The post has received massive engagement online, having been viewed over a million times
‘My Nana did this but she had it printed on a pillow,’ another one said.

In all probability, the video was just a joke that a loving grandma went with for her dear grandson, so all should be well and good!

The alternative is, there really is a ranking board, and grandma does have her favourites.

Is anyone else wondering what grandma’s number one grandkid did to get that top spot? Poor Dan surely is.

Speaking of grandmothers, be sure to check out this story of a 91-year-old nan still up and about like she’s 40, or another fined $352 for simply honking her horn while driving.

Source: TikTok

What do you think of Dan’s grandma's ranking board? Is it something you’d like to do with the grandkids?

Share your reactions and comments below!

Sponsored
Personally, it seems to me to be a horrible thing to do. It also made me stop and think that my grandmother had eleven grandchildren and she made every one of us feel special and loved. We never questioned her love for us and it would never have occurred to us that there might be a favourite. I miss her so much.

I think she is a grumpy old woman 👵 who is playing her grandkids against each other

Imagine if her ranking is back the front number 10 is actually no 1.

I have 18 grandchildren and they are all precious to me except .

They will hug me and joke saying I'm yia yias favourite.

Personally, it seems to me to be a horrible thing to do. It also made me stop and think that my grandmother had eleven grandchildren and she made every one of us feel special and loved. We never questioned her love for us and it would never have occurred to us that there might be a favourite. I miss her so much.

Same, I miss my grandmother's so much. I would never consider ranking my grandchildren. I love them all equally and to bits 💖💖

Reactions: Ezzy
I think it's funny. I have 21 grandchildren and they all play the "Let's shock Nan" game. The more shocked I react the more they laugh. I tell the stories of "that wouldn't have happened in my day because..." and THEY pretend to be shocked. When they do something nice I tell them they are my favourite and they get a good-natured ribbing from the others. It's the same thing as the leaderboard but not in a visual format. It doesn't mean I don't love them equally, it means we have fun together I'd rather have this than be stuck in a corner and ignored and I love it.

I don't think this ranking is a 'Love one more than the other' thing, but more a 'dumb things done' list. I am sure she loves them all.
That's possible. But it's also possible that, deep down, some of those grandchildren are wondering if there is any truth in her "joke". Young hearts can be very insecure.