Old scam resurges in used car market due to new technology

In the golden years of our lives, we often look for ways to save money and make smart financial decisions.

One common choice for many Australian seniors is to purchase a used car, which can offer significant savings over buying a new one.

However, it's important to be aware of the potential pitfalls in the used car market, one of which is the resurgence of an old scam with a new technological twist.

Odometer tampering, the illegal practice of rolling back a car's mileage to make it appear less used and thus more valuable, is making a comeback.

Despite being an age-old trick, new technology gave unscrupulous sellers the tools to alter digital odometers with disturbing ease.

This has led to a spike in complaints and a serious warning for all potential used car buyers.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 084801.jpg
Advanced technology has reportedly sparked a resurgence in odometer tampering in the used car market. Credits: YouTube / 9 News Australia

The NSW Office of Fair Trading had taken steps to combat this deceitful practice by launching a free online tool in June last year.

This tool allowed consumers to check a car's registration against the last three recorded odometer readings.

Since its introduction, there have been 588 tampering complaints filed, resulting in three prosecutions.

NSW Fair Trading Minister Anoulack Chanthivong emphasised the importance of this tool, stating, 'Consumers get a pretty quick indication about whether they're about to get ripped off.'

The prevalence of tampered odometers in the second-hand car market has become so widespread that experts are now urging customers to have any potential purchase independently checked.

Mitchell Pedavoli, an 'inspection doctor' who performs pre-purchase checks on secondhand cars in Sydney's west, reported finding at least one tampered odometer each week.

'The biggest one was on a Skoda—a 150,000-kilometre difference—and my scan tool was able to pick that up,' he revealed.

Mr Pedavoli claimed that older models are the primary targets.

‘I see a lot of Mazda 3s, Toyota Corollas,’ he shared.

In one unfortunate case, a used car dealer in Belmore was discovered to have rolled back the odometers on seven cars by a total of over one million kilometres.

One Mitsubishi Triton, for example, was sold with its odometer reading altered from 227,000km to a mere 156,000km.

The penalties for odometer tampering are severe. Those caught with a tampering device face a $55,000 fine.

Minister Chanthivong has made it clear: 'Fair Trading will prosecute those who are caught.'

As odometer tampering cases surge across Australia, with nearly 600 complaints reported, consumers, especially seniors, are being urged to remain vigilant when purchasing used cars.

This deceptive practice not only affects the vehicle's value but also poses serious safety risks.

Recent reports revealed a concerning trend of odometer tampering resurging, making it crucial for buyers to be aware of the signs and take necessary precautions to avoid falling victim to this scam.
Key Takeaways
  • There has been a resurgence in odometer tampering within the used car market due to advanced technology, leading to hundreds of complaints.
  • The NSW Office of Fair Trading implemented a free online tool that helps consumers identify potential odometer fraud using a car's registration information.
  • Since the tool's launch, 588 complaints of tampering have been received, resulting in three individuals' prosecutions.
  • Consumers are encouraged to have secondhand cars independently inspected before purchase, with an offence of odometer tampering carrying a $55,000 fine.
Have you or someone you know encountered odometer fraud? What are your tips when buying a second-hand car? Share your experiences and suggestions in the comments.

Reactions: grizzly and NotNats
Sponsored
Obviously these cars have no log books, or maybe doctored ones. Nice to see NSW is on the ball. They have records of odometer readings because of the requirement to have the vehicle safety checked every year prior to re-registration.
I have a 2019 VW Polo, with 52000km, and we had an 11 year old Nissan Patrol with 100,000, so there are low km cars out there.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Went to buy a Daihatsu Charade a few years ago and the seller was adamant that it had only done 33,000k. Looking under the bonnet and especially the worn out rubbers on the brakes and clutch pedals told a different story

my precious granddaughter has a second hand car that received a dodgy road worthy certificate. Luckily enough for her her dad used to work in the Taxi industry & knows a thing about cars & he has called out the car yard for several non-road worthy issues. The car yard will not fix the break leaks as they are maintaining their RW guys version of the checks. They are very dodgy & have often skipped out of their responsibilities. They are constantly closing & reopening the car yard under a new name so as not to have to hon-our their obligations. They have however taken on more than they can chew with Jaz defending his daughters right to a safe car.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
My 1988 N13 Nissan Pulsar was bought as a demonstrator in January 1989. Too bad the new 1989 model was CHEAPER! It ended up with 272,000 kms on the clock before I gave it away to the old fella across the road in 2005.

Reactions: DLHM
Human beings; the most untrustworthy species on the planet. We devour our own. It's sad.

My Husband’s Holden Cruise, bought in January 2014 had only done 35075 kilometres. Whilst he was in hospital for over a month, I asked my Son to lift the bonnet so that I could charge the battery.
My Son was amazed at how clean the motor was. We have all of the services written in the log book to prove the mileage when we need to sell the car.

My Husband’s Holden Cruise, bought in January 2014 had only done 35075 kilometres. Whilst he was in hospital for over a month, I asked my Son to lift the bonnet so that I could charge the battery.
He was amazed at how clean the motor was. We have the log book to prove the mileage.