Wattoval

Apr 28, 2024
Old but trusty.

From when I started school in kindergarten 1961, like my brothers, had the trusty globite suitcases.
We rarely got a new one as mum and dad were not wealthy so the case had to be looked after year after year.
It not only carried books and pencils, there was little lunch and a sandwich wrapped in greaseproof paper which always tasted stale or if mum put tomato on it, soggy and hot.
Back then there was no being driven to school, we walked in good and bad weather, if raining, off came the socks and shoes and placed in our suitcase, walked home barefoot, much to our delight. Shoes were much more expensive than a suitcase to replace.
My dad was in the Army, so it shifted to a number of schools, the last being in Wewak PNG when I was 10.
This was the end of the line for my little case, backpacks had become popular and when going to school in an Army truck, much more convenient.
Sitting here writing this, brings back so many lovely memories, especially mum, dad ( who are both gone now) and all my siblings.
Life was so much more simpler back then, in what we now call, The Good Old Days.