Odourless egg hack goes viral - can you spot what's different?

Classes are back in session across the country, which means parents and grandparents everywhere are scrambling to get lunchboxes ready each morning. Or maybe you’re looking forward to a packed picnic at the now-vacant parks while school is in for the day.

And while we here at the Seniors Discount Club appreciate a good old-fashioned vegemite and butter sandwich, we also know that mixing things up occasionally will keep the little ones' tummies happy (and their taste buds intrigued).

That's why we were so impressed when we came across this story of an Aussie mum's perfectly prepared lunchbox for her child's first day back at school. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind taking this with me to work.

There’s nothing quite as satisfying as opening a neatly packed lunchbox and seeing the food carefully arranged inside, is there?

We all know how hard it can be to come up with new and interesting lunchbox ideas for our grandkids (and let's face it, ourselves) day after day. For some people, packing a good lunch has now turned into an art form.

And we have to say, this Aussie mum has mastered it! Not only that, but she also has a special lunchbox hack hidden within her photo below. Can you spot it?

lunch1.JPG
The post has gone viral on social media. Credit: Lunchbox Ideas Australia on Facebook

The Aussie mum shared an image of the lunchbox she made for her child. ‘Term 4 Day 1 lunchbox – tomatoes, grapes, boiled egg with Mayo, Cukes, Jatz with cheese and Berliner,’ she captioned.

The lunchbox also had cut-up fruit, yoghurt-coated sultanas, and other snacks for her daughter to nibble on while at school.

However, people ended up doing a double-take when they spotted a food item in the corner of the lunchbox.

lunch2.JPG
A close-up photo of the lunchbox. Can you guess what is circled in the corner? Credit: Lunchbox Ideas Australia on Facebook

One of the Facebook group’s members commented: ‘Can I please ask, what’s the reason for the egg to be sitting in water? Or am I just seeing things?

True enough, the hard-boiled egg in the corner seems to be floating in a container full of water.

The Aussie mum replied that the water helps with the stinky odour that comes from the egg. She says it saves her daughter from embarrassment once she opens her lunchbox at school.

lunch3.jpg
Packing lunch is now an art form. Credit: Vanessa Loring in Pexels

‘My daughter loves eggs but doesn’t like eating them at school because she gets the “ewww, what’s that smell” from other kids,’ The mum replied in the same thread.

The same commenter responded with: ‘What a great idea! I will try that next time. Thank you.’

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum has shared a photo of her child’s perfectly prepared lunchbox - but it left some doing a double take and scratching their heads.
  • The lunchbox had cut-up fruit, yoghurt-coated sultanas, and other treats to keep her daughter going for the day at school.
  • But there was something unusual about the pic that caught the attention of one fellow group member - the mum had placed a hard-boiled egg in water to prevent it from smelling.
  • The Aussie mum had her reasons though: ‘Helps with the stinky smell they can have when opening a lunchbox at school,’ she replied to one of the commenters.
Well, folks, were you shocked at the mum’s little ‘egg hack’? What are your favourite treats to prepare for lunch? We’d love to hear what you used to pack your kids for school. Share with us your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
I'm surprised they are allowed an egg at school.
Like the comments have said, it does look a lot of food.
I think mothers want to be Instagram worthy these days with snapshots of school lunches.
Nothing wrong with a good, old sandwich!

Reactions: Ezzy
That is a lot of food. Would be ideal to share with someone else not so fortunate. Hope all is eaten & not wasted. I remember a vegemite or plum jam sandwich back in my day!

Reactions: Ezzy