Not a policy change: Kmart responds to shoppers' uproar amid stricter returns policy

For years, Kmart has been the go-to destination for affordable everyday items.

Along with it was their flexible return policy, allowing shoppers to return items without a receipt, often receiving store credit or exchanging without much fuss.

However, talks about a stricter return policy sparked concerns among shoppers.

Starting 1 August, the retailer will implement a stricter returns policy—requiring shoppers to show receipts before returning items.

A Kmart spokesperson clarified that this has always been the policy.

However, this was not enforced across all stores.

compressed-kmart.jpeg
Kmart's previously lenient returns policy allowed shoppers to return items without any proof of purchase. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

The change still sparked a conversation among shoppers, especially those who have grown accustomed to the shop's lenient return policy.

Showing receipts aimed to reduce confusion and streamline the returns process for staff and shoppers.

So, what do you need to do if you have a change-of-mind item and wish to return it to Kmart?

Keep any proof of purchase receipts, which can be physical or digital receipts through the Kmart or Target App, bank statements, or online order invoices.

If you decide to return an item, the refund will be processed back onto the card used for the purchase or given in cash.

The stringent policy will not affect the rights to return faulty items, which could be returned without a receipt.

Additionally, items must be returned within 60 days of purchase.

For OnePass members, items could be returned within an extended 365-day period.

The item should be in resalable condition—unused and should come with its original packaging, including manuals and accessories.

However, the following items will be excluded from the change-of-mind return policy:
  • Cosmetics
  • Fragrances
  • Underwear
  • Pierced jewellery and;
  • Beddings and Linen
Shoppers may review Kmart's full return policy here.

This policy change is part of Kmart's broader strategy following a $10 billion restructuring deal, merging Kmart and Target under Wesfarmers.

The alignment of policies across both stores could be an attempt to create a consistent shopping experience, regardless of which store or brand shoppers purchase from.

The reaction from customers has been mixed, with some expressing frustration, particularly when it comes to returning Kmart's own brand items.

The policy shift could require adjustments for shoppers, but it reminds everyone of the importance of tracking purchases, especially when shopping at our favourite stores.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart spokesperson reminded customers to show their receipts for change-of-mind returns, with signage and invoice notes coming into effect from 1 August.
  • The retailer emphasised that this is a reinforcement of an existing policy uniformly enforced across all stores.
  • Proof of purchase for returns may include physical and digital receipts, bank statements, and online order invoices.
  • The change-of-mind return policy will still not apply to faulty items, and conditions apply regarding the item's condition and packaging.
What do you think of Kmart's stricter returns policy? How do you keep track of your receipts and purchases? Share your thoughts and strategies in the comments below.

Sponsored
You would expect to have some sort of proof of purchase at any store for a refund.Why do "Kmart" customers have to be so OUTRAGED at the supposed change?365days change of mind but with tags attached with one pass membership?Who keeps something for a year before they change their minds about something.
All a bit odd,not a big Kmart fan btw, doesn't OURTRAGE me

A receipt is common sense and I have always kept them until sure I am happy with a product before ditching them. Worse case scenario you always have the bank statements but a bit hard to know exactly what you bought when.

I work in retail and I am sick of people returning items without a receipt. How difficult is it to hold onto a receipt? How would they like it, if they owned a shop and people wanted to return items without a receipt? I'm sure they would not accept that. It's not rocket science. You can purchase a metal paper spike from Office Works and put your receipts there. It's a no-brainer.

if you have a FlyBuys card, why can't KMart, Target, Coles, Bunnings etc record our receipts, Woolworths has been doing this for years on their Everyday Rewards card - you show the card and staff can find the receipt which is loaded onto the Everyday Rewards card

My local k mart always had a receipt policy. But a friend had it listed on her credit card statement and they accepted this. With the increase in shoplifting that means stores have to increase prices to cover it, keeping a receipts isn’t hard.

if you have a FlyBuys card, why can't KMart, Target, Coles, Bunnings etc record our receipts, Woolworths has been doing this for years on their Everyday Rewards card - you show the card and staff can find the receipt which is loaded onto the Everyday Rewards card
Not everyone has FlyBuys

Reactions: Dynamo
As soon as I get home with any household item I buy from Kmart I immediately open the box, take out the instruction book and staple the receipt to the inside of the cover. That way I don't have to try and find it later if the item breaks and I need to return it. Also keep my items stored in their original boxes. It's not rocket science.

As soon as I get home with any household item I buy from Kmart I immediately open the box, take out the instruction book and staple the receipt to the inside of the cover. That way I don't have to try and find it later if the item breaks and I need to return it. Also keep my items stored in their original boxes. It's not rocket science.
Totally agree,then put the boxes in a cupboard in garage.These days with nothing lasting,you would be surprised how many taps, toasters etc break during 12or 24 month warranty.I can rock up with original packaging, instruction book and stapled receipt like you said.Hella a lot easier

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and Gsr
I’m fine with having a receipt but my issue is why Kmart and big w will not return bedding and linen even in as new condition with a receipt. also big w won’t return printer ink cartridges, dvds etc even if they are in original unopened packaging. Big w can’t give me a reason other than store policy when I ask why these items can’t be returned. just another way big business think they can get at their bread and butter customers.

I’m fine with having a receipt but my issue is why Kmart and big w will not return bedding and linen even in as new condition with a receipt. also big w won’t return printer ink cartridges, dvds etc even if they are in original unopened packaging. Big w can’t give me a reason other than store policy when I ask why these items can’t be returned. just another way big business think they can get at their bread and butter customers.
Yes I agree with the bedding,but now am weary of it I know better.
About two years ago I asked a Kmart worker whether I could return a particular size of quilt cover.I bought a king and queen just to see how far they reached,it was for a guest room and just a quick freshen up for some short stay visitors.I would normally never buy anything like this from Kmart.They are totally unequal patterns,sizes shades etc and that's just on the pillow cases🤣,but in this instance ,I asked.When I returned the next day with the queen in untouched in original wrapping as the king fitted the queen bed just fine,I was told that SHE would refund it for me but normally they wouldn't because people return blankets that the dog has obviously been lying on and get a refund?????Really???
Then they should not give people like that example a refund .Common sense prevails.!!Yet go the the Sheridan shop, David Jones etc and return a linen item that looks completely ok and untouched and no problem they won't question it.Sometimes, I think, the calibre of clients returning items has a lot to be desired,and hence stores like big W and Kmart start having to make these calls.Can't see too many $200 blankets that have had a dog sleeping on them being attempted to be returned to DJ's.Sorry if I have offended any seniors that buy linen at Kmart and do the right thing,I am NOT directing this at you,as I said, I had my own incident there so am aware now and stay away.Also same with $100-$200 ,pillows, no where to lie on instore and even if plastic still on them will not accept returns either.I have 6 of these pillows at home that are too hard ,too soft ,too hot too,cool get freezes your face in winter and yet stuck with them too.Sign of the times I am afraid