Norwegian expat delivers cold reality check: ‘Australian winters are the worst’

As autumn's golden hues give way to winter's cooler shades, Australians are reaching for their jumpers and turning up the heat.

However, for those who hail from lands known for their frosty climates, the Australian winter has come as a surprise, and not a pleasant one at that.

Ellinor Stenhammer, a 24-year-old Norwegian expat living in Melbourne, has delivered an icy blast of reality.

Having braved over two years of Australian seasons, Stenhammer found herself bundling up in oversized jumpers and ‘wool socks’—a sight that might bemuse her friends back in Norway, where the winters are synonymous with snowfall, Christmas cheer, and a 'nice and cozy' atmosphere.

In stark contrast, she described the Australian winter as 'grey' and 'rainy', a period to be endured rather than enjoyed, with temperatures in April already numbing her fingers.

‘Everyone is like, “Oh, you're from Norway, you should be fine with Australian winters.” No! Australian winters are the worst,’ Stenhammer asserted.

photo (2).jpg
Ellinor Stenhammer, a Norwegian expat said she was ‘humbled’ and described Australian winters as ‘the worst’. Credits: Tiktok / Ellinor | Norwegian in Aus

The sentiment that Australian winters are mild compared to the rest of the world is a common misconception that Stenhammer and others were quick to dispel.

While some parts of Australia, like North Queensland, boast 'glorious' winters with 32-degree days, many Australians are nodding in agreement with Stenhammer's assessment.

They highlighted potential explanations for the consistently cold winters, with one reason repeatedly mentioned.

‘Aussie homes aren't built for the cold,’ one commented.

A study by the University of Adelaide revealed a startling truth: Aussie homes can get colder in winter than those in Greenland and Finland.

With minimum temperatures averaging well below the World Health Organisation's recommended minimum of 18 degrees, Victorian and Tasmanian homes sit at a chilly 15 degrees on average.

In comparison, Finnish homes bask in a comparatively balmy 20 to 24 degrees.

This discrepancy is attributed to poor housing insulation and a general attitude that Australian winters, being more temperate, don't require the same level of preparation and heating as those in traditionally colder countries.

The result is a population ill-equipped to deal with the cold snaps when they arrive, leading to discomfort and a longing for the return of sunnier days.

Stenhammer’s perspective had many Australians reflecting on their own experiences of the chilly season.

As opinions vary on the severity of winter in Australia, there's a growing interest in finding effective ways to combat the cold.

Amidst these discussions, an unlikely household item has emerged as a potential solution to beat the winter chill and save money in the process.
Key Takeaways

• A Norwegian expat in Australia described the winters as 'the worst', saying it is much colder than those in Scandinavia.
  • Despite coming from Norway, Ellinor Stenhammer found Australian winters difficult because they were 'grey' and 'rainy', and homes were not built to withstand the cold.
  • A University of Adelaide study found that Australian homes can get colder than those in Greenland and Finland during winter.
  • The World Health Organisation's recommended minimum temperature is 18 degrees, but Victorian and Tasmanian homes in the study averaged 15 degrees.
Have you found Australian winters to be colder than expected? How do you keep warm during the chillier months? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Think as one gets older you feel the cold more. Mind you being rural doesnt help especially after so many warm days in WA

Reactions: PattiB
We have had a short and mild summer this year with autumn seemingly coming early. But cold? No. People seem to forget that our homes are built for letting heat out in our frequently extremely hot summers. Many people do not bother to insulate the outer walls of their new homes as they don’t think it through. But it’s much easier to put on a jumper than it it is to get cool without resorting to air conditioning. Nor do we have European central heating in our homes. Imagine our power bills if we did? Those countries run their houses so that they can be inside in just a T-shirt. We are not so wasteful. Of late in Adelaide at least our days have been sunny 20-25C days with the nights now dropping into the teens. We are almost at the end of April and are actually starting to get temperatures below 10C at night. But it has been nice not to get boiled when getting back in to the car when shopping. No this is Australia a land that needs no central heating but maybe an electric blanket on low to warm our toes. If you don’t like it go home!

When living in Canberra I took a trip to the U.K. in mid winter there.

On arrival at the Hotel in Hereford it was snowing heavily, but I found the temperature very comfortable.

Turning up to the reception in business slacks and shirt I found a Scandinavian gent dressed in a greatcoat, boots and gloves who had also just arrived.

The receptionist couldn't believe I was the guest from Australia.

But she believed it later, when I stepped on the sloping driveway and when Base-over-Apex on the black ice hidden underneath the snow.

Cold and damp - no problems.
Snow over Ice - Holly Sh*t! 🤦‍♂️🤕

We have had a short and mild summer this year with autumn seemingly coming early. But cold? No. People seem to forget that our homes are built for letting heat out in our frequently extremely hot summers. Many people do not bother to insulate the outer walls of their new homes as they don’t think it through. But it’s much easier to put on a jumper than it it is to get cool without resorting to air conditioning. Nor do we have European central heating in our homes. Imagine our power bills if we did? Those countries run their houses so that they can be inside in just a T-shirt. We are not so wasteful. Of late in Adelaide at least our days have been sunny 20-25C days with the nights now dropping into the teens. We are almost at the end of April and are actually starting to get temperatures below 10C at night. But it has been nice not to get boiled when getting back in to the car when shopping. No this is Australia a land that needs no central heating but maybe an electric blanket on low to warm our toes. If you don’t like it go home!
It depends on which part of Australia you live in Trish! Tasmania & Victoria can get extremely cold & the young Norwegian lady was simply posting her observations which is fine by me.

Reactions: DLHM
We’re coming into our third winter in East Gippsland after 36 years of living in The Yarra Valley (and the UK before that) and it’s so much milder than where we‘ve lived before. I’m not a fan of winter - I don’t do cold. I love that I can actually walk the dog on the beach in July on some days. Yes, we do get some frosty mornings but nothing much really. The house is lovely and warm too, I don’t miss the wood heater lol. I love where we live.

Reactions: PattiB and DLHM
I'm just surprised how many expansion come to our country and complain about it. She comes from a country where there autumn is our winter so she can go with the flow or just go back.