Nonna's BRUTALLY honest reaction to trying Starbucks coffee for the first time

Everyone has heard of Starbucks – after all, they're one of the most popular coffee shops in the world. But does everyone actually like their coffee?

While opinions on Starbucks coffee are often widely different among Aussie coffee drinkers, one granddaughter has shared the priceless reaction of her Italian Nonna upon sipping the world-famous brew for the first time.

On their joint TikTok account, Maddie, who hails from Sydney, frequently posts videos showing her grandmother-turned-internet-celebrity, Nonna Fina, trying out new recipes and sharing some of her best-kept cooking secrets.

In the most recent video, she offered the grandma a $5 caramel macchiato from Starbucks, but, as can be seen in the pictures below, the food-savvy grandmother was not at all impressed.

3wtg-p_N2AOcqrqVKmFsu9SLfYR3EjggauCfpHBMS9n8tRaRBJFSTLdsHcYOuEFIdoBC9tOWEbL0ZJ6tbW-xCbhLQnCO_GicOgHnSLM9JIaKyuaTUbDYQifZbtxk-uCofKja3hGrlikJ0aXtL8-Tcus

A granddaughter has captured the moment her Italian Nonna tried a Starbucks coffee for the first time. Credit: TikTok/mynonnafina.

'No, I don't like it,' Nonna Fina complained, saying that the drink is excessively sweet and doesn't taste like coffee at all. She continued, brushing the foam of the milky beverage off her upper lip, by claiming that most folks don't need 'that much sugar' in their brews.

She referred to the Starbucks drink as 'junk coffee' and even said she would rather pay someone else $5 to have it than drink it herself.

When asked how the beverage would do on a scale of one to ten, Nonna gives it a four. And according to Maddie, this is the lowest rating her grandmother has ever given to any food or drink she has tried.

'Not impressed!' the granddaughter wrote in the caption.

It didn't take long for the video to become a huge hit among their tens of thousands of social media followers, the large majority of whom echoed Nonna's lack of enthusiasm for the well-known coffee chain.

'I agree with Nonna,' one person wrote in the comments section, to which hundreds more users agreed. A second one added, 'Starbucks is definitely overrated.'

It was clear from the responses that other Aussies agreed with Nonna that plain and classic, regular coffee is preferable to the sugared Starbucks option she was given.

'Nonna has never been more right,' one person wrote, and another added: 'At least she gave it a go.' A third went on to commend the grandmother, saying: 'She is so nice with her rankings even though she didn't like it.'

Maddie also mentioned that Nonna likes to drink espresso on a regular basis, which helps explain why the beverage from Starbucks was far too sugary for her to enjoy.

Almost anywhere in the world, you can find a Starbucks location, but in Australia, there aren't that many. Have you ever wondered why? Even though coffee is very popular here in Australia, the US-based chain wasn't as successful here as it was in other countries.

Starbucks first opened its doors in Australia in 2000, and by 2008, there were about 90 stores across the country.

In the same year, however, the company also shut down over 70% of its underperforming outlets, leaving only 23 Starbucks locations across the whole continent.

But Starbucks isn't giving up on Australia just yet. Slowly but surely, the company has been opening up new stores across the country since the 2008 losses.

As of today, there are currently 39 Starbucks locations in the metropolitan areas of Brisbane, Melbourne, the Gold Coast, and Sydney that cater to tourists visiting these cities.

So while the coffee brand may not be as popular here as it is in other countries, there are still Aussies who get their daily fix of caffeine from them! Are you one of them? If so, do you have a favourite drink from the store?

But if not, where do you get your daily cuppa? Do you brew one yourself, or do you have a regular shop you go to every day? Tell us all about it in the comments – we would love to hear from you, members!

Sponsored
are they really Aussies drinking the coffee or expat Americans or Americans here on holidays. When I was in USA I went to Starbucks, only because there wasn't much else about, and thought it was rather C***. I haven't even bothered with a Starbucks here in Aus there are too many other great Cafes round to get a better coffee. Please this is my opinion only don't shoot me.

Everyone has heard of Starbucks – after all, they're one of the most popular coffee shops in the world. But does everyone actually like their coffee?

While opinions on Starbucks coffee are often widely different among Aussie coffee drinkers, one granddaughter has shared the priceless reaction of her Italian Nonna upon sipping the world-famous brew for the first time.

On their joint TikTok account, Maddie, who hails from Sydney, frequently posts videos showing her grandmother-turned-internet-celebrity, Nonna Fina, trying out new recipes and sharing some of her best-kept cooking secrets.

In the most recent video, she offered the grandma a $5 caramel macchiato from Starbucks, but, as can be seen in the pictures below, the food-savvy grandmother was not at all impressed.

3wtg-p_N2AOcqrqVKmFsu9SLfYR3EjggauCfpHBMS9n8tRaRBJFSTLdsHcYOuEFIdoBC9tOWEbL0ZJ6tbW-xCbhLQnCO_GicOgHnSLM9JIaKyuaTUbDYQifZbtxk-uCofKja3hGrlikJ0aXtL8-Tcus

A granddaughter has captured the moment her Italian Nonna tried a Starbucks coffee for the first time. Credit: TikTok/mynonnafina.

'No, I don't like it,' Nonna Fina complained, saying that the drink is excessively sweet and doesn't taste like coffee at all. She continued, brushing the foam of the milky beverage off her upper lip, by claiming that most folks don't need 'that much sugar' in their brews.

She referred to the Starbucks drink as 'junk coffee' and even said she would rather pay someone else $5 to have it than drink it herself.

When asked how the beverage would do on a scale of one to ten, Nonna gives it a four. And according to Maddie, this is the lowest rating her grandmother has ever given to any food or drink she has tried.

It didn't take long for the video to become a huge hit among their tens of thousands of social media followers, the large majority of whom echoed Nonna's lack of enthusiasm for the well-known coffee chain.

'I agree with Nonna,' one person wrote in the comments section, to which hundreds more users agreed. A second one added, 'Starbucks is definitely overrated.'

It was clear from the responses that other Aussies agreed with Nonna that plain and classic, regular coffee is preferable to the sugared Starbucks option she was given.

'Nonna has never been more right,' one person wrote, and another added: 'At least she gave it a go.' A third went on to commend the grandmother, saying: 'She is so nice with her rankings even though she didn't like it.'

Maddie also mentioned that Nonna likes to drink espresso on a regular basis, which helps explain why the beverage from Starbucks was far too sugary for her to enjoy.

Almost anywhere in the world, you can find a Starbucks location, but in Australia, there aren't that many. Have you ever wondered why? Even though coffee is very popular here in Australia, the US-based chain wasn't as successful here as it was in other countries.

Starbucks first opened its doors in Australia in 2000, and by 2008, there were about 90 stores across the country.

In the same year, however, the company also shut down over 70% of its underperforming outlets, leaving only 23 Starbucks locations across the whole continent.

But Starbucks isn't giving up on Australia just yet. Slowly but surely, the company has been opening up new stores across the country since the 2008 losses.

As of today, there are currently 39 Starbucks locations in the metropolitan areas of Brisbane, Melbourne, the Gold Coast, and Sydney that cater to tourists visiting these cities.

So while the coffee brand may not be as popular here as it is in other countries, there are still Aussies who get their daily fix of caffeine from them! Are you one of them? If so, do you have a favourite drink from the store?

But if not, where do you get your daily cuppa? Do you brew one yourself, or do you have a regular shop you go to every day? Tell us all about it in the comments – we would love to hear from you, members!

In my opinion the two worst coffee brands in Australia are Starbucks and Gloria Jeans. I would die of thirst before I would drink that stuff

I have only enjoyed Starbucks once, about 20 years ago in Singapore.
It was about the only thing that could kill the taste of the water there; proudly recycled at least 6 times through other people's kidneys, if you follow....

I absolutely do not drink Starbucks coffee as had the misfortune of trying it in Melbourne prior to them closing down & also tried coffee in America both of which were awful!!!! Australia have wonderful coffee in many many cafes all over the country so we can be very proud.

I've tried 3 Starbucks coffee outlets around the world (Los Angeles, Glasgow and Sydney). Each time I didn't finish my coffee. So I vote with my feet.

I absolutely do not drink Starbucks coffee as had the misfortune of trying it in Melbourne prior to them closing down & also tried coffee in America both of which were awful!!!! Australia have wonderful coffee in many many cafes all over the country so we can be very proud.
Without wanting to be rude - I never had a decent coffee the whole time I was visiting in the states.
They’re so generous with their coffee at restaurants- usually filtered coffee which is way better than Starbucks- but I think we follow European coffee tastes here in Australia.

But if not, where do you get your daily cuppa? Do you brew one yourself, or do you have a regular shop you go to every day? Tell us all about it in the comments – we would love to hear from you, members

I've only ever even seen one Starbucks shop and tried their coffee. It was in Shanghai a few years ago walking between the Peoples' Park and the Bund with a couple of mates. From memory, I didn't mind the coffee - though I have to admit that I am no coffee "expert".
There used to be a shop called the "Muffin Stop" or something similar near Woolworths in Kalgoorlie which sold the best tasting coffee that I can ever remember having - it was the only shop that I frequented regularly. Unfortunately greedy landlords pushed the rent up to ridiculous levels and they went out of business. A number of shops in that complex are now empty - karma is a good thing.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Dolce Gusto coffee for me everyday. I have my machine and can buy my pods online or Coles and Woolies. The coffee is delicious. I have several flavours and can have a cuppa whenever I feel like it.

I make my coffee at home. None of this fancy high faluting stuff here, no fancy machine needed, just good old Nescafe 43, hot water. splash of milk and a bit of sugar to take the bitterness away.:)
That's about my usual standard too. But I probably drink more "Iced Coffee" than the hot stuff.

Reactions: Ezzy

I agree with Nonna. I drink black coffe, no sugar. Have done for years.

Like all things, it's a matter of personal taste. I used to like Maccas coffee until they change to their "Australian" blend. I probably realy like about 30% of the coffees I buy and would say about another 30% are drinkable. I have my favourite chains and local coffee places.

Oh, and by the way, I am fussy, DON'T put ice or cold water in my coffee. It affects the flavour.

Reactions: Ezzy
I agree with Nonna, Starbucks' coffee doesn't even taste like coffee, it tastes like a milkshake! I remember travelling around the US and Canada for a month and couldn't find decent coffee anywhere. Then we went to Rome, and it was sooo good to finally have real coffee again!

I’ve Nonna’s response. Here in Aus we do have the best coffee in the world. Coffee chains do not offer the best coffee nor the best barista’s.
It take more than using the smart coffee machine to know how to present a good coffee.

Reactions: Ezzy and TheBear

We first tried Starbucks in Singapore...the first cup was cold and horrid, the second was just as bad...we just walked out and left the two on the table. Went to McDonalds McCafe and it was the first time we had tried their coffee and it was there we went every day while in Singapore. I will never drink Starbucks again in my life!

Reactions: Ezzy and TheBear