News desk presenter departs from the Seven Network: 'It's something I've been thinking about for a while'

The television and entertainment industry has been hit with a series of departures.

We have seen presenters leave their posts, with some even shocking TV fans.

In another surprising departure, a sports presenter for Seven News Brisbane announced that he would step back from news desk duties.

After nearly two decades of delivering news, Shane Webcke is stepping down from the news desk.

'I've decided to take a slightly new direction. From January, I'll be stepping back from the news desk,' Webcke wrote in a statement.

'It's something I've been thinking about for a while, to allow me greater flexibility and more time to pursue my family's agricultural interests.'

compressed-shane webcke.jpeg
Despite stepping away from the newsroom, Shane Webcke is still open for speaking engagements. Image Credit: Shane Webcke

Webcke's departure from the news desk is a significant change for viewers who have come to appreciate his insights and charisma over the years.

His presence has been a staple on Seven News.

Webcke's decision to reduce his work hours comes after thoughtful discussions with management.

However, Webcke reassured his supporters that he would not be totally away from the spotlight.

'I'm not going far. I'll still appear regularly alongside my good mate, Gilly, providing rugby league insights for our viewers.'

Webcke's gratitude towards the network and its viewers was evident as he reflected on his long-standing career.

'I have been treated so well over the last 18 years, and I'm grateful to Seven for supporting me through this next phase of my life.'

Webcke's departure from the news desk followed other changes at Seven News Brisbane.

Recently, presenter Sharyn Ghidella and weatherman Paul Burt were laid off from the network.

As we bid farewell to Shane Webcke from the sports desk, we also celebrate the contributions he made to sports journalism.

His dedication and passion for the game have entertained many TV fans.

Webcke's departure is also a reminder that change is a natural part of life.

It opens doors to new adventures that can enrich our lives in unexpected ways.
Key Takeaways

• Starting in January, news presenter Shane Webcke will step back from presenting sports on Seven Brisbane.
  • Webcke wanted to reduce his work hours to focus more on his family's agricultural business.
  • Webcke expressed his appreciation for Seven's support as he transitions into this new role.
  • The Seven Network recently faced a series of layoffs, which included presenter Sharyn Ghidella and Paul Burt, among others.
Do you have any favourite memories of Shane Webcke on the desk? How do you feel about the changes happening in local news? Share your reflections and thoughts with us in the comments below.

• Love
Reactions: Ezzy, jsan and BJM
Sponsored
'ALL ABOARD! THE EUPHEMISM EXPRESS IS DEPARTING PLATFORM 7....."

'It's something I've been thinking about for a while, to allow me greater flexibility and more time to pursue my family's agricultural interests.'... (Packaging bullshit for retail sale?)
'Webcke's decision to reduce his work hours comes after thoughtful discussions with management.'....(Shane, you might want to follow Sharon Ghidella's lead?)

LAST ONE OUT THE DOOR, PLEASE TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.

• Love
Reactions: CliffE
No mention of Shane Webcke's stellar career playing in the National Rugby League for the Brisbane Broncos, Queensland Maroons or Australia's Kangaroos? That it what he will remembered for....not for being a news presenter, that's for sure!

I considered him to be one of the best forwards to play the game at the top level during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Shame on whoever wrote this article!

Reactions: relljube
No mention of Shane Webcke's stellar career playing in the National Rugby League for the Brisbane Broncos, Queensland Maroons or Australia's Kangaroos? That it what he will remembered for....not for being a news presenter, that's for sure!

I considered him to be one of the best forwards to play the game at the top level during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Shame on whoever wrote this article!
Not a surprise to read a reply about NRL from you Veggie! 🥰

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch