New traffic cameras catch over 70,000 drivers making dangerous road mistakes

The modern age has brought us many conveniences, but with these conveniences come new challenges, especially when it comes to road safety.

As we navigate the roads, it's crucial to stay focused and aware, not just for our safety but also for everyone.

However, many Aussies fell short in this regard, as evidenced by the startling number of drivers caught using their phones while driving.

In an effort to combat the rise in road deaths—which surged by nearly 10 per cent nationally compared to the previous year—South Australia rolled out mobile phone detection cameras.

This $16 million initiative was part of a broader strategy to reduce road injuries and fatalities, many of which were attributed to driver distraction.

During the cameras' two-month trial period, it scanned seven million vehicles.

compressed-cars.jpeg
Drivers are not allowed to use mobile devices or other objects while on the road. Image Credit: Shutterstock/ddisq

It caught 71,044 drivers red-handed with their mobile phones.

This figure is a stark reminder of how common—and dangerous—driver distraction could be.

The illegal activities caught on these cameras are both shocking and disheartening.

From a motorist steering with just their pinky finger to another driver with a dog on their lap and a phone in hand, these reckless behaviours are a severe cause for concern.

If these offences were detected outside the trial phase, the fines could total to more than $45 million.

However, the primary goal of these cameras is to serve as a deterrent for fines and save lives on the road.

After the trial period, South Australians were given a 'grace period', and on 19 September, the SA government will start fining distracted drivers caught on camera.

These penalties could cost drivers $640 in fines and three demerit points.

The fines collected will go to the Community Road Safety Fund, which supports initiatives such as safety improvements, education programs, and advertising campaigns.

These efforts are vital in fostering a culture of road safety.

As of writing, the cameras have been operational at five locations across Adelaide.

Signages will also be installed to warn drivers of their presence.

These precautions aim to discourage drivers from reaching for their phones while driving.

In other news, the NSW Government doubled the number of mobile speed camera sites in the area, with an additional 2700 locations.

They will also activate seatbelt detection cameras by Monday, 1 July 2024, hoping to decrease any road injuries and fatalities.
Key Takeaways

• New mobile phone detection cameras in South Australia detected 70,000 drivers using their phones while driving.
  • There was a significant 10 per cent increase in road deaths in Australia last year, making it the deadliest year on Australian roads in more than five years.
  • Police also caught several drivers engaged in illegal and dangerous activities while driving.
  • The fines from road offence detections, which will be issued starting in September, will contribute to the Community Road Safety Fund for road safety initiatives.
Have you noticed an increase in distracted driving in your area? What measures could effectively prevent this dangerous behaviour? Let's talk about it and share your insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
People caught using their phone while driving, should have their phone confiscated and be blacklisted from all providers for 12 months.
It is incomprehensible that some people think their phone
conversation is more important than the lives of other road users .
Anyone doing this needs to take a good look at themselves and rethink their values.

People caught using their phone while driving, should have their phone confiscated and be blacklisted from all providers for 12 months.
It is incomprehensible that some people think their phone
conversation is more important than the lives of other road users .
Anyone doing this needs to take a good look at themselves and rethink their values.
A mobile phone causes more distraction than a GPS, onboard entertainment or the plethora of information displayed on a screen as big as an iPad?

It is not only a mobile phone that causes inattention. How about rowdy children? Will a law be passed that renders the driver unable to reproduce if caught with noisy brats in the vehicle? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the car manufacturers should be taken to task. Advertising a "ten inch in-dash display" as a selling point is as much to blame.

A mobile phone causes more distraction than a GPS, onboard entertainment or the plethora of information displayed on a screen as big as an iPad?

It is not only a mobile phone that causes inattention. How about rowdy children? Will a law be passed that renders the driver unable to reproduce if caught with noisy brats in the vehicle? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the car manufacturers should be taken to task. Advertising a "ten inch in-dash display" as a selling point is as much to blame.
Totally agree, can remember those days of rowdy kids.
Equally as distracting as mobile phones.

It is a pity that they weren't all fined. Its not as thoughht they haven't been warned.

There worried about phones but not interested in the touch screen in the middle of the dash that you have navigate to do things like the radio, navigation and other things.

Can't understand what can be so important that you have to answer your phone immediately. Years ago messages were left on a answering machine then you could reply at will. The most annoying thing I find is people on their mobile whilst shopping . Talking so loud that by the time you finish your shopping you can't but help to have heard nearly every bit of the conversation,plus they usually stand in front of the area you need to access. I turn my phone off when shopping want to get it over so I can get home

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I always turn my phone to silent when diving or out anywhere, shopping, etc. A woman almost walked into my full trolley as I was leaving Woolies as she was on her phone and not looking at anything else.
my bag is on the back seat. So I would have to pull over to reach it if I really thought it needed answering. I dont have my phone on my actual person either.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Why forewarn the camera is there? They'll simply wait until after they have passed it. Never understood that warning system. It should apply all the time on all roads.

What is so bloody important that you can't travel without a mobile phone, what did you do before we had these things?
Instrument of the devil ! Back in the days I use to be a country rep. Leave home in Sydney on a Monday morning and traverse parts of NSW till Friday. I'd check in with the wife and office when in a motel of an evening. life was beautiful. After the introduction of mobiles I was getting calls every bloody 20 minutes, wife, office, customers, bill chasers, the list was endless. Totally missed the peace and serenity.