New technology to help seniors prevent fall accidents is being developed by the University of Queensland — here’s how you can participate!

New technology to help seniors prevent fall accidents is being developed by the University of Queensland — here’s how you can participate!
New technology to assist seniors to keep their balance on their feet is being developed by the University of Queensland, researchers announced.

Ms Jacinda Foster, a researcher from the University of Queensland School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said that the new technology being developed would prevent injury-related deaths in Australia.

It should be noted that a previous report published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare stated that fall accidents account for about 40 percent of injury-related deaths in Australia.

Now, researchers are looking for participants for the trial of the VertiGuard, a lightweight device worn around the waist (like a belt) which "records body sway during a series of balance exercises".

kxtRgmA64yNgves06G1xMu-8h6DJpJT6Ef9msMWADB4dZRnSP2B5iIQe7o1MrmfQC0YHOFQz1wuzZBExzty-YOhrElvBQpLFXY5CPfdZE4qTWjhOTNXVgkwQ-_kQFtMJV1aci2U

The VertiGuard is a device that records “body sway” data, helping physical therapists to design exercise programs for individuals experiencing balancing issues. Credit: Nine.

The device allows physical therapists to gather and make use of data to create an exercise program appropriate for the individual experiencing balancing issues.

One of the first participants of the trial is David Ramsay who has recently suffered from a fall.

David said: "I do have a bit of an issue with balance."

"If I can improve the way I walk and my posture when I'm walking to give me a bit more confidence, hopefully, that'll be a good thing."

66hHQIyUuS_fUVadm4rCJvA7GRhD3gcqCdcSjAqU-OSvsT03f7oEbjkJE-aIfQJ2UwdBJRKAiuRIFfV7wo84rDwaMvnJ22GWSL9gU6r7SCjkbXhFSN9PFrVyKwHx2TgSPDBTD-U

David Ramsay volunteered for the trial tests of the new device. Credit: Nine.

Ms Foster said that they are looking to get the device approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

"If it proves successful then we'll be actually looking more at Therapeutic Goods Administration approval," she said.

For those who want to participate in the trials, more information can be found at the University of Queensland website.

This video is a worthwhile watch for those wary of fall-related injuries and explains ways in which we can minimize the risk of falling.

Credit: YouTube/National Council of Aging

We also recommend those looking to contact a physical therapist about balance issues to check out this video, which has a real physical therapist go through some exercises you can use at home to improve your balance.

Credit: YouTube/Johns Hopkins Medicine

Sponsored
UQ also has a gym in Brisbane for over 50's and their exercise phsiologists are excellent. I am sure the other captial city universities might run a similar gym. It is very rewarding especially with balance exercises for we older people.

New technology to assist seniors to keep their balance on their feet is being developed by the University of Queensland, researchers announced.

Ms Jacinda Foster, a researcher from the University of Queensland School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said that the new technology being developed would prevent injury-related deaths in Australia.

It should be noted that a previous report published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare stated that fall accidents account for about 40 percent of injury-related deaths in Australia.

Now, researchers are looking for participants for the trial of the VertiGuard, a lightweight device worn around the waist (like a belt) which "records body sway during a series of balance exercises".

kxtRgmA64yNgves06G1xMu-8h6DJpJT6Ef9msMWADB4dZRnSP2B5iIQe7o1MrmfQC0YHOFQz1wuzZBExzty-YOhrElvBQpLFXY5CPfdZE4qTWjhOTNXVgkwQ-_kQFtMJV1aci2U

The VertiGuard is a device that records “body sway” data, helping physical therapists to design exercise programs for individuals experiencing balancing issues. Credit: Nine.

The device allows physical therapists to gather and make use of data to create an exercise program appropriate for the individual experiencing balancing issues.

One of the first participants of the trial is David Ramsay who has recently suffered from a fall.

David said: "I do have a bit of an issue with balance."

"If I can improve the way I walk and my posture when I'm walking to give me a bit more confidence, hopefully, that'll be a good thing."

66hHQIyUuS_fUVadm4rCJvA7GRhD3gcqCdcSjAqU-OSvsT03f7oEbjkJE-aIfQJ2UwdBJRKAiuRIFfV7wo84rDwaMvnJ22GWSL9gU6r7SCjkbXhFSN9PFrVyKwHx2TgSPDBTD-U

David Ramsay volunteered for the trial tests of the new device. Credit: Nine.

Ms Foster said that they are looking to get the device approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

"If it proves successful then we'll be actually looking more at Therapeutic Goods Administration approval," she said.

For those who want to participate in the trials, more information can be found at the University of Queensland website.

This video is a worthwhile watch for those wary of fall-related injuries and explains ways in which we can minimize the risk of falling.

Credit: YouTube/National Council of Aging

We also recommend those looking to contact a physical therapist about balance issues to check out this video, which has a real physical therapist go through some exercises you can use at home to improve your balance.

Credit: YouTube/Johns Hopkins Medicine

Alright and noted your points.