New research debunks viral “avocado-in-water” hack, claims that the tip is “potentially harmful” to your health

Folks, this is an urgent retraction of the article that we published about the "avocado hack" where it was claimed that you can prevent them from browning by submerging them in water and keeping them in the fridge.

While a number of people claimed that the viral hack has helped them keep their avocados fresh for consumption, experts debunked the claim, labelling the tip as "potentially harmful".

It was said that the tip creates the perfect environment for harmful bacteria for pathogens — such as listeria and salmonella — to thrive in.

It should be noted that these types of pathogens are not similar to other types of bacteria which tend to die in cool temperatures. In fact, these bacteria are the opposite — they thrive in the fridge and freezer.

Keeping that in mind, the bacteria that could possibly be residing on the avocado could multiply when you submerge the fruit in water and keep it in the fridge.

Dg5nqwAza2ypQKzH8fbe8HiQovn435LfYixamQMyUsovH-GuK9hNIhC3uk9SvrSQgMVE4xo7s33ma2PaA8HByvc4IonLDqLjGZLNmVF3LdSwbKL7g12-aX9X62MXJcwbSrlNdGc

It was said that the hack could stimulate bacterial growth on the avocado. Credit: Facebook/Home Cooking Australia.

A study published in the Journal of Food Poisoning in America also advised against the hack, stating: "In addition, research performed by FDA scientists has shown that Listeria monocytogenes has the potential to infiltrate and internalise into the pulp of avocados when submerged in refrigerated dump tanks within 15 days during refrigerated storage."

"In this case, even surface disinfecting the avocado skin prior to slicing would not be able to remove the contamination."

So, there you have it, folks! We're glad that we are able to provide you with this new information. This just proves that it is important to do thorough research on everything that you see on the internet as not all sources provide accurate information.

Speaking of thoroughly-researched information, we would like to share with you this video where cleaning savvy and self-confessed germaphobe mums Janet and Diana discussed some of the science-backed ways to keep your vegetables and fruits fresh longer.

Credit: YouTube/Clean Freak & Germaphobe

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

Sponsored
We owned an avocado orchard and our whole family has been obsessed with avocados for years. Personally I've NEVER kept avocados. I keep them on the kichen bench until they are ready to eat. Once cut we use the whole lot and never keep "left overs". I've always found it safe to keep whole, ripe avocados just in the crisper in the fridge but they never last long in our house anyway.

Reactions: Ricci
New research debunks viral “avocado-in-water” hack, claims that the tip is “potentially harmful” to your health

Folks, this is an urgent retraction of the article that we published about the "avocado hack" where it was claimed that you can prevent them from browning by submerging them in water and keeping them in the fridge.

While a number of people claimed that the viral hack has helped them keep their avocados fresh for consumption, experts debunked the claim, labelling the tip as "potentially harmful".

It was said that the tip creates the perfect environment for harmful bacteria for pathogens — such as listeria and salmonella — to thrive in.

It should be noted that these types of pathogens are not similar to other types of bacteria which tend to die in cool temperatures. In fact, these bacteria are the opposite — they thrive in the fridge and freezer.

Keeping that in mind, the bacteria that could possibly be residing on the avocado could multiply when you submerge the fruit in water and keep it in the fridge.

Dg5nqwAza2ypQKzH8fbe8HiQovn435LfYixamQMyUsovH-GuK9hNIhC3uk9SvrSQgMVE4xo7s33ma2PaA8HByvc4IonLDqLjGZLNmVF3LdSwbKL7g12-aX9X62MXJcwbSrlNdGc

It was said that the hack could stimulate bacterial growth on the avocado. Credit: Facebook/Home Cooking Australia.

A study published in the Journal of Food Poisoning in America also advised against the hack, stating: "In addition, research performed by FDA scientists has shown that Listeria monocytogenes has the potential to infiltrate and internalise into the pulp of avocados when submerged in refrigerated dump tanks within 15 days during refrigerated storage."

"In this case, even surface disinfecting the avocado skin prior to slicing would not be able to remove the contamination."

So, there you have it, folks! We're glad that we are able to provide you with this new information. This just proves that it is important to do thorough research on everything that you see on the internet as not all sources provide accurate information.

Speaking of thoroughly-researched information, we would like to share with you this video where cleaning savvy and self-confessed germaphobe mums Janet and Diana discussed some of the science-backed ways to keep your vegetables and fruits fresh longer.

Credit: YouTube/Clean Freak & Germaphobe

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

I tried putting an avocado in water in the fridge & 2 days later it was gross so had to throw it away!

OMG I have been putting avocados in a jug in the fridge since I saw the hack, after reading this won't be doing it again as in the last week have been getting severe stomach cramps, and I'm not prone to stomach upsets, the penny has just dropped WON'T DO IT ANYMORE.

• Wow
Reactions: chezna and Ricci
OMG I have been putting avocados in a jug in the fridge since I saw the hack, after reading this won't be doing it again as in the last week have been getting severe stomach cramps, and I'm not prone to stomach upsets, the penny has just dropped WON'T DO IT ANYMORE.
It was most likely the penny that caused the stomach upsets. Those pennies have to be at least 57 years old, and holding the penny until it just dropped, your hand must be so sore as well !!! Now that it is all done, you'll feel a lot better....

It was most likely the penny that caused the stomach upsets. Those pennies have to be at least 57 years old, and holding the penny until it just dropped, your hand must be so sore as well !!! Now that it is all done, you'll feel a lot better....
Thats funny