New fashion trend? — “Wear clothes from grandma!” fashionistas say

New fashion trend? — “Wear clothes from grandma!” fashionistas say
Vintage clothing is set to be the next big trend of 2022, according to fashion experts, as more and more Gen Z people are wearing outfits inspired by mod styles of the '60s.

The 'twee' aesthetic — which is characterised by colourful tights, oversized collars, shift dresses, cardigans, blouses, polka dots and bows — was said to make a comeback in the fashion world as fashionistas on social media are getting hooked on the look.

qT1ROASyQkAdXJ_Huzto5JJ9HDoE6nqgGPdPPV5qQWD5vS8COfxMQ6-rv7f6jZgwYUC5Gf-FyhiRaUu_1Y4V_yuoNxdFbeoL2XMENNKL8EjCcSWlhhkIt66CU4A0nG9p2m82NEM

Fashion experts said that the ‘twee’ aesthetic is making a comeback in the fashion world. Credit: Instagram/@minalovec.

The look also includes footwear such as ballet pumps and Mary Janes, while accessories, such as fringes, knee socks, satchel bags, round-framed glasses, berets, hats and headbands, complete the ensemble.

The aesthetic is also not just reserved for fashion, as the style is also associated with the love for vintage cameras, cult movies, indie bands, typewriters and teacups.

CwbgZlSmkhSoR_nkP7tIyw1qP09d4k_mHRDF85uNDM_CefZvLG_Yqkq0Fh879ayEjMs4xQmMIF9zN8E-3Y-cb0X8wimrXppCoJAUta7Si1o7FUmu9u8KKk0aV1vWO1uoXae-hcU

The vintage trend is not just characterised by clothes, as it also includes the love for vintage cameras, cult movies, indie bands, typewriters and teacups. Credit: Instagram/@sarahmantelin.

The Feel Good Fashion Coach founder and celebrity stylist Miranda Holder said that while bringing back looks from the previous fashion eras is nothing new, the pandemic has caused shoppers to be 'desperate' to embrace a more feminine look.

“We are used to the concept of circular fashion, and sartorial recreations of the seventies, eighties, nineties and so on are to be expected as we flock to another season of fashion week to see the latest catwalk creations”, she said.

“But recently, social media apps such as TikTok have sped things up to an unprecedented pace, and it's not unusual to see micro-revivals of trends that have only been cold in our closets for 5-10 years, such as the twee trend and you only have to flick through fashion tok or the bloggers on Instagram to see how popular it is right now.”

The celebrity stylist also noted that the fits for the 'twee' aesthetic have become accessible as more high-street shops stock their stores with frilly collars and chunky kits.

Ms Holder said: “After the last two years which have been largely marred by the pandemic, we are desperate to break out of our loungewear and embrace anything that makes us feel more feminine.”

'Although the twee movement was originally very much an aesthetic loved by the hipsters, it has now made it mainstream and every high street outlet worth its cool credentials are offering versions of granny cardigans, patterned tights, peter pan collars, flouncing blouses and much more.'

The global movement for raising awareness on sustainable development has also led to the consumers' interest to embrace second hand garments, according to the fashionista.

ewTo1dn6Aotc6BTYL19iH4eAQ0K0_m8RQ3frCm5UEw08Oh2Ku75mqyo6a2RpsXNtf2PUX_ENBIw9ltBFdUBPVw0ppZ_p6mVjwoqdHDiqaBKVUor_Gvn2gTR0ul98meR2PsYPT60

Consumers embrace the concept of sustainability, hence their preference for second hand garments. Credit: Instagram/@Fauzia_Gillespie_.

It was also said that shoppers currently have a preference for a 'smart and preppy look', especially now that students are heading back to physical classes and professionals go back into offices.

“They want to ease out of their comfortable attire worn during the lockdown and try something different”, Anita Lo, owner of Clara's Box, said.

“As for vintage fashion, the trend has revived in peaks and troughs but they're becoming more accessible than ever on the high street.”

“Furthermore, there have been lots of hit films and TV series in recent years set in the past that have ignited interest in vintage fashion – Downton Abbey's new film is to be released soon, for example.”

“As a vintage fashion expert, I'd recommend teaming true period pieces with modern fashion. For example a 1950s dress with a leather jacket and Converse/your favourite ballet pumps, or a 1940s embroidered blouse with a pair of skinny jeans. “

“You can embrace twee fashion in full vintage gear as well, but to avoid looking frumpy, choose form-fitting items that complement your figure.”

If you are looking to sell some of your vintage clothes, here are some tips:

Credit: YouTube/TODAY

Reactions: Elise
Sponsored
Going back to 60s clothing will be a huge improvement on the current fashion of short shorts that leave nothing for the imagination, I grew up in the 60s and loved the clothing we had, mostly worn when we went out shopping and visiting friends, still wore jeans and stretch pants on the farm, working and gardening though.

I'm way past fashion choices, it's all about comfort now! It's articles like this that fuel the "fast" fashion industry and ultimately the huge amount of waste that goes to landfill.
Totally agree with all you have said Ricci. I have cupboards full of clothes and for the last few years I have hardly bought anything from a retailer at all in the clothing line. I browse the OP shops and buy there but try not to buy much of that either. Fashion trends are there to sell clothing nothing more. One year we have skin tight leggins, then next it is the wider leg. I was never one to blindly follow fashion anyway and wear what suits "me". More a classic style dresser which never goes out of style. One day all the young uns will wake up that paying all these huge prices is just stupid. No wonder they cannot save any money and probably will never have a home.

Reactions: Elise and Ricci
Robert says, I have a great Hugo boss double breasted suit everyone is on my case to get rid of especially my eldest son I said no I will keep it so tongue in cheek I said you can bury me in it lo and behold I saw a young man wearing a black d/b the same as mine, what goes around comes y

I have a Harris Tweed man's jacket bought in 1960s and designed by Hardy Amis. It was my dad's and it's far too heavy to wear in Australia unfortunately, or I would live in it during winter. I'd love to know how much it's worth.

Reactions: Ricci
Fashion designers were running out of ideas of what styles to put out in the market. They have gone from the bizarre to completely ridiculous and the models are so paper thin that nothing is suitable for the average person, so I say, "thank goodness they have gone back to sensible clothing". I made my own clothes for years as did my mother before me, and now that I am 72 years young I am able to wear whatever I like and it doesn't matter. I agree that the short shorts and skirts, skimpy tops and so much exposed skin leaves nothing up to the imagination, and men need to appreciate their women, but when they go about in such exposing wear it gives other men ideas too which I feel is the reason so many marriages fail. I also like to see a man fully clothed and well dressed because it shows he has pride in himself also. Perhaps now, people's moral standards will rise again.