Nearly 500,000 eligible residents and small businesses receive second round of state energy bill relief

Amid rising living costs and the festive season, one state’s government has stepped in to provide some much-needed relief.

The second round of energy bill relief payments in one state has begun, offering a significant financial boost to nearly half a million families and small businesses.

This initiative, worth approximately $254 million, was announced in June and is set to be paid out over a two-year period.

The scheme, in effect in South Australia, is jointly funded by the federal and South Australian governments.

SDC 32.png
Eligible South Australians will receive energy bill relief starting December 20. Image source: Freepik.

The relief plan offers a reduction of $500 on energy bills for eligible households and a rebate of $650 for qualified small businesses over the year.

For those eligible, the discount will be automatically applied to their bill, saving them the hassle of paperwork and applications.

South Australian Treasurer Stephen Mullighan expressed his hopes for the scheme, stating, 'As we head into Christmas, a reduction in energy bills will provide some relief at what is traditionally a very expensive time of year.'

Initially, the relief was only available to those already receiving government assistance.

However, the rebate scheme has now been expanded to include Commonwealth Family Tax Benefit recipients, people receiving a Carer Allowance, and holders of certain Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) cards.

Services Australia has been also reaching out to newly eligible households directly, inviting them to apply.

If you missed out on the relief in the first quarter, fret not, as you are set to receive a higher deduction from your bills.

This is to ensure you receive the full $500 across the 2023-24 billing year.

However, it's important to note that some people, while eligible for the rebate, are not concession card holders. These individuals will need to provide information to Services Australia or their energy retailer to receive the bill relief.

Households receiving both the existing state government concession of $263.15 and the jointly-funded rebate of $500 will save up to $763.15 in 2023-24—a significant saving that could make a real difference to many families this season.

Moreover, thousands of small businesses, including shops in shopping centres, will also receive the $650 energy bill reduction from early next year—significantly increasing the number of small businesses with access to the scheme.

The June state budget has provided $471.3 million worth of relief for South Australians—an unprecedented feat, according to Mr Mullighan.

'Our June state budget provided the largest package of cost-of-living relief measures ever deployed in South Australia—a large part of that to reduce energy bills,' he said.

In addition to energy bill relief, the package also includes other measures to ease the cost of living:

iTvDN431O3kxCj7glJvHoac5F8ZlW4jJxnYZpclUyAizHYavdrkBw0bpTke_9d_I0lyi2VcuVpyPsJ1DMNwvfS32KOa3KCqFVCTOX7Khk8lxbiZRl_K1wVwvDJ4IWKGHi_I1BVB-h2JbicH0TikooSE

The full criteria for the energy bill relief scheme, and how to apply, can be accessed through the South Australian government’s website.
Key Takeaways
  • Nearly half a million families and small businesses in South Australia will receive a $500 boost as part of the second round of energy bill relief payments.
  • The relief scheme is jointly funded by the federal and state governments and aims to provide support leading up to Christmas, amounting to approximately $254 million distributed over two years.
  • Eligible individuals will have the discount automatically applied to their bills, while those eligible but not holding concession cards will need to provide additional information to Services Australia or their energy retailer.
  • The June state budget in South Australia allocated $471.3 million for the cost-of-living relief, with this energy bill reduction being a significant component of that package.
What are your thoughts on this energy bill relief scheme? Have you benefited from it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Getting the energy bill relief scheme has helped it was however the electricity company we are with that took its time getting the first payment off our bill but that now has been sorted. I hope it has helped many and can help many more.

Amid rising living costs and the festive season, one state’s government has stepped in to provide some much-needed relief.

The second round of energy bill relief payments in one state has begun, offering a significant financial boost to nearly half a million families and small businesses.

This initiative, worth approximately $254 million, was announced in June and is set to be paid out over a two-year period.

The scheme, in effect in South Australia, is jointly funded by the federal and South Australian governments.

View attachment 37913
Eligible South Australians will receive energy bill relief starting December 20. Image source: Freepik.

The relief plan offers a reduction of $500 on energy bills for eligible households and a rebate of $650 for qualified small businesses over the year.

For those eligible, the discount will be automatically applied to their bill, saving them the hassle of paperwork and applications.

South Australian Treasurer Stephen Mullighan expressed his hopes for the scheme, stating, 'As we head into Christmas, a reduction in energy bills will provide some relief at what is traditionally a very expensive time of year.'

Initially, the relief was only available to those already receiving government assistance.

However, the rebate scheme has now been expanded to include Commonwealth Family Tax Benefit recipients, people receiving a Carer Allowance, and holders of certain Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) cards.

Services Australia has been also reaching out to newly eligible households directly, inviting them to apply.

If you missed out on the relief in the first quarter, fret not, as you are set to receive a higher deduction from your bills.

However, it's important to note that some people, while eligible for the rebate, are not concession card holders. These individuals will need to provide information to Services Australia or their energy retailer to receive the bill relief.

Households receiving both the existing state government concession of $263.15 and the jointly-funded rebate of $500 will save up to $763.15 in 2023-24—a significant saving that could make a real difference to many families this season.

Moreover, thousands of small businesses, including shops in shopping centres, will also receive the $650 energy bill reduction from early next year—significantly increasing the number of small businesses with access to the scheme.

The June state budget has provided $471.3 million worth of relief for South Australians—an unprecedented feat, according to Mr Mullighan.

'Our June state budget provided the largest package of cost-of-living relief measures ever deployed in South Australia—a large part of that to reduce energy bills,' he said.

In addition to energy bill relief, the package also includes other measures to ease the cost of living:

iTvDN431O3kxCj7glJvHoac5F8ZlW4jJxnYZpclUyAizHYavdrkBw0bpTke_9d_I0lyi2VcuVpyPsJ1DMNwvfS32KOa3KCqFVCTOX7Khk8lxbiZRl_K1wVwvDJ4IWKGHi_I1BVB-h2JbicH0TikooSE

The full criteria for the energy bill relief scheme, and how to apply, can be accessed through the South Australian government’s website.
Key Takeaways

• Nearly half a million families and small businesses in South Australia will receive a $500 boost as part of the second round of energy bill relief payments.
  • The relief scheme is jointly funded by the federal and state governments and aims to provide support leading up to Christmas, amounting to approximately $254 million distributed over two years.
  • Eligible individuals will have the discount automatically applied to their bills, while those eligible but not holding concession cards will need to provide additional information to Services Australia or their energy retailer.
  • The June state budget in South Australia allocated $471.3 million for the cost-of-living relief, with this energy bill reduction being a significant component of that package.
What are your thoughts on this energy bill relief scheme? Have you benefited from it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Why just South Australia.?
They are promoting DEI but that is totally against those principles.

Reactions: Ricci and Abby2

View attachment 37913

Key Takeaways

While we senior pensioners that live pension to pension & don't have hidden assets this is a great help to us,95% of our home's use electricity, with my personal situation I live in Government housing & I don't know where the money you give us goes, not in my bank that's for sure,I assume it goes to the gov housing,there is no proof 🧾 whatsoever where it goes or when it is received. I'm very careful with every cent I spend & make notes of what goes out & what the balance is. As a person who has done this all my life (82) i find it difficult that I have no say or control over what you give us for the use of continuing power. Take this opportunity to say thank you & have a blessed Christmas & a safe healthy Happy New Year.🙏🎄

While we senior pensioners that live pension to pension & don't have hidden assets this is a great help to us,95% of our home's use electricity, with my personal situation I live in Government housing & I don't know where the money you give us goes, not in my bank that's for sure,I assume it goes to the gov housing,there is no proof 🧾 whatsoever where it goes or when it is received. I'm very careful with every cent I spend & make notes of what goes out & what the balance is. As a person who has done this all my life (82) i find it difficult that I have no say or control over what you give us for the use of continuing power. Take this opportunity to say thank you & have a blessed Christmas & a safe healthy Happy New Year.🙏🎄
It amazes me that govts give concessions to people to help cover the never ending price rises on power Yet do nothing to force these once owned public companys to lower there prices In my last bill the concession i got was less than than the price rise

View attachment 37913

Key Takeaways

I live in Victoria? the only thing we'll get is a kick in the teeth ( I was going to say balls, but thought hold on it's near Christmas, so a little bit of couth?.)

I live in Victoria? the only thing we'll get is a kick in the teeth ( I was going to say balls, but thought hold on it's near Christmas, so a little bit of couth?.)
You hve been getting those kinds of kicks for years and years my friend. But that is the government there plenty of hot air promises that's all. Just look at the history of it.....

Reactions: Ricci
It amazes me that govts give concessions to people to help cover the never ending price rises on power Yet do nothing to force these once owned public companys to lower there prices In my last bill the concession i got was less than than the price rise
They have to make it look good even though it is not and IMHO there is a real method in someone's madness. I will leave that you to decide.

Reactions: Ricci and Abby2
All very well and good for the Crow Eaters, and good luck to them, but us Queerslanders (some of us, anyhow) are still waiting for the first promised handout.

Reactions: Abby2 and Ricci

View attachment 37913

Key Takeaways

I got it when Victoria came to the party. But what’s the go with South Australia? I see that Queensland have been giving some as well. Stir your stumps Victoria.. pensioners among others are battling to keep both warm and cool. I don’t turn on main lights at night just a small lamp if I am moving around, at 83 that’s a problem

View attachment 37913

Key Takeaways

What about Victoria

View attachment 37913

Key Takeaways

If I move to S.A any benefits will be paid in another state, ( If it was raining arseholes I'd be hit with Albananese?.)

• Haha
Reactions: Kelpie and Abby2
I have electricity bills yet I’m not entitled to any rebates as I wasn’t connected in July, the reason was due to major damage to my new dwelling, which took 10 months to repair.
I put electricity in my name in September, so even though I will have bills in the 2023-2024 rebate offer.
I’m not eligible for any relief.
Applied for health care card in September 2023, 4 months later application still says Processing,
Government not here for me.

Reactions: Kelpie
I have electricity bills yet I’m not entitled to any rebates as I wasn’t connected in July, the reason was due to major damage to my new dwelling, which took 10 months to repair.
I put electricity in my name in September, so even though I will have bills in the 2023-2024 rebate offer.
Applied for health care card in September 2023, 4 months later application still says Processing,
The government never is.... the only way to get through to them is to go in personally and create all hell.

Reactions: Abby2
The Government is not here for everyone. Have you ever tried to go to one of their Offices to talk to someone face to face.?? GOOD LUCK.!