Nan's chicken stew that's good for the soul!

If you asked me what dish I would never get tired of eating every day, it would undoubtedly be my nan’s special Chicken Stew. This humble yet deeply satisfying concoction holds a special place in my heart and palate alike. Why, you ask? Well, it's budget-friendly, easy, and comforting, which just goes to show how savvy my nan was when it came to stretching her budget and bringing the best out of the simplest ingredients.

IMG_3428.jpg
My all-time favourite recipe by my nan! Source: Sethia

Every time I sit down to indulge in a bowl of her Chicken Stew, I'm reminded of her warmth and love, and I hope that lovely feeling radiates when you take a bite of this dish too.

Here are the ingredients you need:
  • 2-3 chicken thighs
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 potato
  • 1 onion
  • Half a clove of garlic
  • 1 cup of peas
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
  • A cup of tomato pasta sauce
  • chicken bouillon cube
  • bay leaves
  • cooked white rice
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder

IMG_3400.jpg
The ingredients you need! Source: Sethia

Procedure:

Chop your potato, carrot, and tomatoes into small cubes. Dice the onion and garlic thoroughly.

Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder before popping them inside an air fryer (or an oven) at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until crispy, brown, and cooked through.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 2.43.52 PM.png
If it's not golden brown and crispy, keep cooking! Source: Sethia

In a pan, saute the potatoes, carrots, garlic, and onion until slightly brown. Then, add the tomatoes and peas. Add some tomato paste, tomato sauce, and a cup of water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes before adding two pieces of bay leaves and the chicken bouillon cube. Add another cup of water if the sauce becomes too thick.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 2.43.17 PM.png
Don't forget to season the vegetables too! Source: Sethia

Season with salt and pepper, and let the sauce simmer for 5 more minutes. Then, add the cooked chicken to the pan and gently mix. Scoop some freshly cooked white rice on a plate, and top it off with the chicken stew. Bon appetit!

Last edited:
Sponsored