Mystery VINTAGE item left thousands of Aussies scratching their heads – can you guess what it is?

An op-shop owner from Queensland has asked for help on social media to identify a mystery gadget that one of her customers bought from her store.

Even though she was the one who sold the customer the retro item, Helen from Brisbane admitted that she was equally as baffled as to what the purpose of the gadget was. So, she asked people on Facebook.

Members, can you guess what this thing does?

oAILvEo9dWe3ciwmF_TGZXYOlh_KDPU64EZRsrw3ekGjFfmiaE2hb1Z-9AMbYGHQ5NHYNwQgv4lsceVwj3lcHKiKsBs7BhL90x4AHf80RyNPu1330aQ9mas4HXsTd0Ywhfq-xMMt

Helen asked Facebook users for answers but many of them guessed incorrectly. Credit: Facebook.

Helen received hundreds of responses from users on Facebook, with many of them claiming that the mystery gadget is a paintbrush or a makeup brush holder, a serviette stand, a bottle opener, a soap dish, or even a toast stand.

Much later, it was revealed that the antique buy is actually an ashtray from the early 1960s.

‘Atomic’ or space-age inspired designs that came in a range of bright primary colours were all the rave back then, and since smoking was also very common, ashtrays were extremely popular.

The metallic spiral in the middle was designed to hold cigarettes in place without them sliding down into the ashtray.

So, did you guess right, members?

Several people on Facebook claimed that they correctly guessed the item on their first try. Some even said that they used to own one of these ‘atomic’ ashtrays that seemed to come straight out of the 1962 animated sitcom, The Jetsons.

“Even though I don’t smoke, I would love this,” wrote one woman. “This is 60s gold!”

3LwjUTTYL2YhOrAMv0uTdBxDI2H8u0vo6NFdxy8qQvGazDfij76PpU84L9T0j7-VfBQlaK0A4HWZnK8ZGX-ymbQvYrP4p6vwSM6jUxdHvGLSAjI51dezoY8q8WbBMxnShMVA4CNn

One man was confused about how to use this metal item. Credit: Facebook.

One man also shared on Facebook that he found another “mystery” item that left him scratching his head. He posted the photo of a serrated, hinge-mounted metal hook and assumed it was some kind of kitchen aid.

He asked fellow vintage lovers for help on what the purpose of the item might be, and he received answers such as a plant hanger or as a boot scraper. One even suggested it might be something used in stables!

However, later it was determined that it is actually a collapsible clothes hanger that can be used inside the car.

The serrations at the top are used to keep coat hangers in place and to prevent clothes from sticking to each other. Meanwhile, at the back of the metal plate, there are hooks that can be used to fit over the window of cars.

It can even be customised so people can mount it on a wall as a normal clothes hanger.

For more vintage and nostalgic items like these ones, check out our Yesterday’s Australia forum on the website.

You can even share some of your finds with us too! See you there, members!

Sponsored
Mystery VINTAGE item left thousands of Aussies scratching their heads – can you guess what it is?

An op-shop owner from Queensland has asked for help on social media to identify a mystery gadget that one of her customers bought from her store.

Even though she was the one who sold the customer the retro item, Helen from Brisbane admitted that she was equally as baffled as to what the purpose of the gadget was. So, she asked people on Facebook.

Members, can you guess what this thing does?

oAILvEo9dWe3ciwmF_TGZXYOlh_KDPU64EZRsrw3ekGjFfmiaE2hb1Z-9AMbYGHQ5NHYNwQgv4lsceVwj3lcHKiKsBs7BhL90x4AHf80RyNPu1330aQ9mas4HXsTd0Ywhfq-xMMt

Helen asked Facebook users for answers but many of them guessed incorrectly. Credit: Facebook.

Helen received hundreds of responses from users on Facebook, with many of them claiming that the mystery gadget is a paintbrush or a makeup brush holder, a serviette stand, a bottle opener, a soap dish, or even a toast stand.

Much later, it was revealed that the antique buy is actually an ashtray from the early 1960s.

‘Atomic’ or space-age inspired designs that came in a range of bright primary colours were all the rave back then, and since smoking was also very common, ashtrays were extremely popular.

The metallic spiral in the middle was designed to hold cigarettes in place without them sliding down into the ashtray.

So, did you guess right, members?

Several people on Facebook claimed that they correctly guessed the item on their first try. Some even said that they used to own one of these ‘atomic’ ashtrays that seemed to come straight out of the 1962 animated sitcom, The Jetsons.

“Even though I don’t smoke, I would love this,” wrote one woman. “This is 60s gold!”

3LwjUTTYL2YhOrAMv0uTdBxDI2H8u0vo6NFdxy8qQvGazDfij76PpU84L9T0j7-VfBQlaK0A4HWZnK8ZGX-ymbQvYrP4p6vwSM6jUxdHvGLSAjI51dezoY8q8WbBMxnShMVA4CNn

One man was confused about how to use this metal item. Credit: Facebook.

One man also shared on Facebook that he found another “mystery” item that left him scratching his head. He posted the photo of a serrated, hinge-mounted metal hook and assumed it was some kind of kitchen aid.

He asked fellow vintage lovers for help on what the purpose of the item might be, and he received answers such as a plant hanger or as a boot scraper. One even suggested it might be something used in stables!

However, later it was determined that it is actually a collapsible clothes hanger that can be used inside the car.

The serrations at the top are used to keep coat hangers in place and to prevent clothes from sticking to each other. Meanwhile, at the back of the metal plate, there are hooks that can be used to fit over the window of cars.

It can even be customised so people can mount it on a wall as a normal clothes hanger.

For more vintage and nostalgic items like these ones, check out our Yesterday’s Australia forum on the website.

You can even share some of your finds with us too! See you there, members!
When to an antique museum - left quickly: too many items (like the hand-pumped petrol bowser with the glass storage chamber overhead) I have used!

I recognized the ashtray straight away, but I don't understand what the two little loops are on the sides are for. Did people hang their ashtrays up for display?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I recognized the ashtray straight away, but I don't understand what the two little loops are on the sides are for. Did people hang their ashtrays up for display?
I think they are clips to hold the ashtray on the stand

I wo
uld say it's just part of the swirly bit that holds the cigarettes in place. Would need a few anchor points to hold it in place. Then remove it to wash ashtray

I wo

uld say it's just part of the swirly bit that holds the cigarettes in place. Would need a few anchor points to hold it in place. Then remove it to wash ashtray
Thanks Thecla, that does make sense.