Mystery surrounds unclaimed million-dollar ticket as deadline approaches

Time is ticking for one lucky South Australian who could be blissfully unaware that they're sitting on a goldmine.

A million-dollar lottery prize is waiting to be claimed, but the clock is running down with just 11 days left to step forward and secure the winnings.

Imagine purchasing a lottery ticket, tucking it away, and forgetting about it, only to be the potential winner of a life-changing sum.

This is the reality for one who bought the winning ticket at a BP service station on Salisbury Highway in Mawson Lakes on 27 September last year.

1726540401323.png
A one-million-dollar lottery ticket bought at BP in Mawson Lakes, SA, still needs to be claimed. Credit: Shutterstock

Lottery prizes must be claimed within 12 months, and this particular ticket is about to expire.

The service station has seen a steady stream of customers, but the million-dollar question remains unanswered: who is the mystery winner?

The ticket was purchased unregistered, so there's no easy way for lottery officials to contact the lucky person.

‘We do have a team here at the Lott that goes through quite a lengthy investigation process when a prize isn't claimed,' Anna Hobdell said.

If the winner does not come forward by the deadline, the prize will be forfeited and returned to the Lotteries Commission of South Australia.

It's a situation that's more common than you might think.

‘We currently have 19 unclaimed major lottery prizes across Australia dating back to 2017,' Hobdell revealed.

‘It is worth more than $15 million.’

If you or someone you know needs assistance with gambling, support is available through the National Gambling Helpline at 1800 858 858, online counselling, and various state or territory services.

These resources are confidential, free, and accessible 24/7.

Key Takeaways

• A $1 million lottery ticket purchased at a BP service station in Mawson Lakes, South Australia, remains unclaimed.
  • The winner has just 11 days left to come forward and claim the prize before it expires.
  • The Lott has a team investigating unclaimed prizes, but the winning entry is unregistered, making it difficult to find the winner directly.
  • If the million-dollar prize is not claimed in time, it will be forfeited and returned to the Lotteries Commission of South Australia.
Have you ever found an old ticket that turned out to be a winner? Or you've got a system for keeping track of your lottery purchases. Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't know about anyone else, but, I just get sick to death always reading about people who" Forget " about checking tickets. To me, it's complete & utter "BS".

Please give us a break from these types of "Postings". I'm sick to death of them.

Who in their right mind forgets about tickets in any format of lotteries. Not me, that's for sure.

In a way, I hope time runs for them for their complete stupidity.