'My heart is broken': Award-winning singer faces two painful events in one day

The entertainment industry has its fill of ups, downs, and sudden turn of events.

In a series of heartbreaking moments, a music icon has been enveloped in a shroud of grief after losing two family members on the same day.

Grammy Award-winning singer Mariah Carey mourned the passing of her mother, Patricia Carey, and her sister, Alison Carey.

Their deaths coincided in a cruel twist of fate, as they passed away on the same day.

'My heart is broken that I've lost my mother this past weekend,' the 'Through the Rain' singer shared with People magazine with sorrow.

'Sadly, in a tragic turn of events, my sister lost her life on the same day.'

mariah carey.PNG
Mariah Carey and her mum, Patricia, over the years. Image Credits: Facebook, Instagram/Mariah Carey

Patricia Carey, 87, was more than just a mother to Mariah.

She was also a Juilliard-trained opera singer and a vocal coach who had a profound influence on her daughter's musical journey.

Mariah's father, Alfred Roy Carey, and Patricia divorced when Mariah was three years old and passed away in 2002.

'I feel blessed that I was able to spend the last week with my mum before she passed,' Mariah added.

'I appreciate everyone's love and support and respect for my privacy during this impossible time.'

Mariah's relationship with her mother was intricate and multifaceted, as she described in her 2020 memoir, The Meaning of Mariah Carey.

She described it as 'a prickly rope of pride, pain, shame, gratitude, jealousy, admiration, and disappointment'.

Yet, Mariah acknowledged her mother's efforts as they stayed in contact through the years.

The mother-daughter duo performed a duet of O Come All Ye Faithful, mashing it up with the chorus of Hallelujah in Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas to You special on ABC United States.

Lastly, Mariah dedicated her memoir to Patricia.

'And to Pat, my mother, who, through it all, I do believe actually did the best she could. I will love you the best I can, always.'

Meanwhile, Mariah's sister, Alison Carey, was part of a family dynamic marked by estrangement and public disputes.

Mariah's relationship with her siblings, including her brother Morgan, was fraught with tension that often reached the media.

She candidly shared in her interviews the sense of alienation she felt in her family.

'We don't even really know each other, and that's the thing. We didn't grow up together, but we did,' Mariah shared.

'They were on their journeys. By the time I got into the world, they had already been damaged. But again, I wasn't there. I was dropped into this world, and I literally felt like an outsider in my own family.'

The Carey family's story is a reminder that success and fame cannot shield people from personal loss and family concerns.

As Mariah Carey grieves for her loss, she has asked for privacy—a request that fans and onlookers should honour with compassion.
Key Takeaways

• Singer Mariah Carey grieved for her mother, Patricia, and her sister, Alison, who both passed away on the same day.
  • Mariah Carey spent the last week with her mother before her passing and asked for privacy during this difficult time.
  • The singer reflected on the complicated relationships she had with her mother and siblings in her 2020 memoir.
  • Despite their complex family dynamic, Mariah Carey acknowledged the bond she had with her mother.
We extend our deepest condolences to Mariah and her family during this period of mourning.

May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
Mariah Who?

Some people lose their whole family on a single day. And nobody gives a hoot.

Next thing is we will be bombarded with some nonsensical Christmas song.
I think this comment was uncalled for in the circumstances.

Try to put yourself in her position if you can, regardless of the fact you are not a celeb, this could happen to you or anyone of us too. The world would not hear about it & we wouldn't want them too. In her situation this is the price of stardom which she accepts.

I think this comment was uncalled for in the circumstances.

Try to put yourself in her position if you can, regardless of the fact you are not a celeb, this could happen to you or anyone of us too. The world would not hear about it & we wouldn't want them too. In her situation this is the price of stardom which she accepts.
Let's just say that the focus on the "tragedies" that "celebrities" experience are no more important than those of the Average Joe or Josephine.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Let's just say that the focus on the "tragedies" that "celebrities" experience are no more important than those of the Average Joe or Josephine.
I thought you would fire back quickly.

I am still of the belief your comments were uncalled for & l suspect you read my comments, but not with an open mind.

As l stated we are not celebraties, not in the'limelight' & neither expect nor want that attention.