rongpy

Jun 14, 2024
My grocery savings scheme

Get a Woolworths Rewards Card and enrol in their Extras scheme (outlay $70 annually). Coles have one also, but W seems to have better benefits. Entitles to 10% discount off a shop at WW and Big W once a month (capped at $50pm) and 2x loyalty points. Get used to doing one big shop per month (or get a card for someone else in the house). Buy WW gift cards through Health Fund/Roadside Assist/etc - they offer 4% discount - so a $500 card costs $480. That $500 grocery shop once a month then costs $500 less $20 less $50 (10%) = $430 - saving $70 per shop or $840 a year for that $70 outlay. The extra 'bonus' points earnt has equated with a further $40 or so a year in '$10 off' discounts. Paying for everything with a credit card with a reasonable loyalty program (and paying off each month to avoid interest) costs $149 a year to have but delivers around $200-300 a year in free Woolworths gift cards redeemed from the loyalty scheme. An outlay of around $200 a year saves well over a grand!!

I have car insurance with Woolies and get 10% discount per month. Also just had a special deal to spend any amount and get 10,000 points = $50.
Even if you have just an normal no cost rewards card there are always bonuses to keep an eye on. Both Coles and Woolies have them often. As an example, recently with Coles it was 'spend $60 a week (easy to do) for 4 weeks and get 10,000 points (again worth $50).

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Yesterday I did a monthly big shop at Cole’s, had an offer for 10% off, so saved lot $50. This was the first time I’ve had this offer so I made sure I used it on my big monthly shop.

Reactions: Ezzy
Additional points can also be gained from Coles with a Flybuys membership. Look up the week's catalogue online then scroll down to My offers where you can complete surveys for points. My offers aren't always on offer.