My great-grandfather’s journal of 1908: The Tech Guy – Dr Al

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly shared with the SDC, for publication, by member @Doctor Alan. Spelling and grammar has been preserved for historical accuracy.

We left the Harbour of Brisbane on the 17th, at daybreak. The same evening, we had our last view of the shores of Australia stretching northwestwards. On the 20th, the island of Rossel, then that of Adele rose to view. On the 21st floating trunks of trees heralded the approach of dry land, and on the 22nd we steamed on northwards through a double line of islands as through a channel. Of the two main islands of the German Bismarck Archipelago, Neo-Mecklenberg (formerly New Ireland) stretching from the N.W. to the S.E. was on the right, Neu-Pommern (formally New Britain) stretched from the N. to the S.W. was on the left hand.

The mountain range of the islands attains a height of 1200 metres in Neo-Mecklenberg (sic): the hills of Neu-Pommern are probably considerably higher. The islands are covered by magnificent primaeval underwood: only near the shores, around the scattered homesteads, do we see spots that look like lawns. As I was informed later on, these charming spots are clumps of useless shrubs.

Image Cr (1).jpg
Do you keep a diary? Image Credit: Shutterstock

The interior of the two islands is unexplored. The southern half of Neo-Mecklenberg is still inhabited by cannibals: nor has the custom of eating one’s enemies entirely gone out of fashion in out-of-the-way spots on the island of Neu-Pommern. Sailing among these islands which are still in the primitive state, we are overwhelmed with curious feelings. How interesting it would be to penetrate to the district inhabited by savages, to take photos, etc. In theory the idea is a charming one: but it is an extremely difficult task to traverse the damp, impenetrable, fever-haunted bush country; and besides, it is impossible to find a suitable interpreter, as the various hostile tribes living in the island do not understand one another’s tongues.

I had thought of staying here but, when informed of the difficulties, I gave up my intention, all the more readily as we had arrived just in the rainy season of malaria.

Sponsored
Thank you for sharing a precious piece of family history. I find these type of documents a small window into the times they were written giving incredible glimpses to times past. Loved it :)