My gov Scam

I've received a couple of these text messages knowing they are scams but then my husband received one and asked how to reply 🙃 so thought I better share . And when does Australia use the word subsidies in place of payments

View attachment 23134
Oh dear :( This is alarming. Thank you for sharing this with us, @Suzanne rose!

I always check the sender's email address very carefully - not only the wording but also the font. An email address may look legitimate at first glance because the address appears to be the same, but look carefully at the font, especially the letter "a" which can be a dead giveaway that the address is bogus. Those who designed the bogus email substitute some letters with similar letters taken from a different character set. I tried to put in an example here to demonstrate the difference but the SDC software automatically changes the fonts to the same.

I always check the sender's email address very carefully - not only the wording but also the font. An email address may look legitimate at first glance because the address appears to be the same, but look carefully at the font, especially the letter "a" which can be a dead giveaway that the address is bogus. Those who designed the bogus email substitute some letters with similar letters taken from a different character set. I tried to put in an example here to demonstrate the difference but the SDC software automatically changes the fonts to the same.
Me too but unfortunetly others don't

if it has a link forget it . govt banks etc .
Yes, as a general rule of thumb, if you are not expecting it, it is probably bogus. The problem is when you are expecting something and the scam coincides with that. For example, recently I had spoken over the phone with my insurance company regarding an issue. They were to forward some documents to me. By sheer coincidence, I got an email from an unknown name with the subject line stating "Here are the documents you requested". However, I still checked carefully because the name of the sender was that of an individual and not the insurance company's name, and it WAS bogus. You have to be so very very careful.

my husband got scammed about 2 weeks ago they said they were from Telstra and that he had been overcharged and they owed him $1000.00 dollars I had been out and when I came back home he said he had been on the phone for about 1 hour I asked him if they called him or he called them he said he called them so I didn't worry too much I did get a bit concerned when he gave out his credit card number he was on the phone for about 3 hours as he said they were doing a big update. Big update was right he has not been able get into his account ever since when he got off the phone he said I think I just got scammed they had transferred $5000 dollars but it was still pending so he quickly closed his account down and notified the bank he now has a new credit card but cannot access his account as the scam people have locked it and the money is still pending

• Sad
Reactions: featherfour
Your advice is sound for emails but this was a phone text message. I think there should be more onus on the telco's to block this kind of activity.

Reactions: Gsr and MotherGoose
If anything like that comes always go to the source ie: centrelink and look on your account with them. If are not with Telstra then ignore the email in fact delete it. If someone rings unless they know who you actually are, or can give you the right information hang up immediately.

Yes, as a general rule of thumb, if you are not expecting it, it is probably bogus. The problem is when you are expecting something and the scam coincides with that. For example, recently I had spoken over the phone with my insurance company regarding an issue. They were to forward some documents to me. By sheer coincidence, I got an email from an unknown name with the subject line stating "Here are the documents you requested". However, I still checked carefully because the name of the sender was that of an individual and not the insurance company's name, and it WAS bogus. You have to be so very very careful.
Thank you, MotherGoose, Your opening sentance is probably the best advice I have heard so far. I also check the sender's email address very carefully.

Reactions: Gsr and MotherGoose
If you have a newer type of mobile phone they will do scam checks, they wont get them all, but they do get a lot. And the phone doesn't have to be an all beaut singing and dancing iPhone or Samsung. One released in the last eighteen months with the latest software will do. Or you could probably get an app, but you should not have to pay for these pr**ks doing what they are getting away with.

Reactions: Gsr
my husband got scammed about 2 weeks ago they said they were from Telstra and that he had been overcharged and they owed him $1000.00 dollars I had been out and when I came back home he said he had been on the phone for about 1 hour I asked him if they called him or he called them he said he called them so I didn't worry too much I did get a bit concerned when he gave out his credit card number he was on the phone for about 3 hours as he said they were doing a big update. Big update was right he has not been able get into his account ever since when he got off the phone he said I think I just got scammed they had transferred $5000 dollars but it was still pending so he quickly closed his account down and notified the bank he now has a new credit card but cannot access his account as the scam people have locked it and the money is still pending
OMG that is terrible hopefully the bank stopped it in time.
My husband worries me , he is easily tricked, I keep telling him to stop answering calls that he doesn't know the number. Thank goodness I do all the banking ect

Reactions: Gsr