May 23, 2023
Port macquarie
Mushroom pasta

go to homepage

Farfalle with Spinach, Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions​

Published: Feb 23, 2019 / 564 Comments
2.1MSHARES
Recipe Print
Creamy Farfalle Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Caramelized Onions. This simple meatless Italian dinner is pure comfort food! The bow-tie shaped pasta is perfectly matched with rich and buttery Parmesan sauce!

Bow-tie pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions

0 seconds of 0 seconds

Farfalle - Bow Tie Pasta​

• Farfalle pasta is meant to be used with creamy sauces, such as with chicken broccoli alfredo (with or without chicken) or with this creamy four-cheese pasta sauce. In fact, this farfalle recipe was inspired by another family favorite that features a rich creamy pasta sauce: spinach mushroom pasta.
  • Farfalle works great both in meatless recipes and in dishes with meat. This particular recipe is meatless. However, you can easily add any kind of meat or seafood. Add easy seared chicken or grilled chicken to this creamy bow tie pasta. Who doesn't like creamy pasta, especially if you add some chicken to it? It's a perfect dish to make for a family weeknight dinner.
  • If you enjoy seafood, add seared scallops with bacon or trout with garlic lemon butter sauce.

Bow Tie Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions

Farfalle: Italian Pasta​

This Italian-inspired recipe features bow-tie shaped pasta smothered with easy cream sauce along with vegetables and mushrooms. You'll love this simple comfort food on a plate.

• Simple ingredients. This recipe requires basic ingredients that you can buy pretty much at any store: bow-tie pasta, spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, cream, and Parmesan cheese.
  • Packed with veggies. This meatless farfalle recipe uses spinach and caramelized onions. It's a great and delicious way to incorporate more vegetables into your dinners.
  • Caramelized onions add so much flavor and sophistication to this dish!
  • Weeknight dinner recipe. This easy recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you don't have much time for cooking. It's also a great recipe to use any leftover chicken. Just throw in some leftover cooked chicken together with creamy farfalle pasta, and you have a perfect family dinner!
  • Flexible recipe. What I love about this creamy bow-tie pasta is that you can serve it as is, without meat! Or, you can add protein, if you like. Serve farfalle with grilled steak, grilled chicken, or fish.

What is farfalle?​

• Farfalle is a bow-tie shaped Italian pasta. Farfalle pasta can also be described as butterfly-shaped pasta. In fact, "farfalle" means "butterflies" in Italian.
  • Farfalle dates back to the 16th century in Lombardia and Emilia-Romagna Regions in Northern Italy.
  • Farfalle is often used with cream sauces and in tomato-based sauces. It's also popular in salads.

Substitutions​

• What can you use instead of farfalle? You can substitute penne, rigatoni, fusilli, or orecchiette for farfalle without affecting the flavor.
  • What can you substitute for spinach? You can use kale, Swiss chard, or arugula instead of spinach.
  • What kind of mushrooms can you use? Use button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, portobello, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms.
  • How to make this recipe gluten-free? Use gluten-free farfalle or other types of gluten-free pasta.
  • What can you use instead of half-and-half? Use ½ cup of heavy cream + ½ cup of milk instead of 1 cup of half-and-half.

Cooking Tips​

• Make-ahead tip. Make caramelized onions ahead of time, refrigerate them in an air-tight container, and use within the next 3 days. You can also freeze caramelized onions for up to 2 months and thaw them whenever you need them.
  • If the creamy Parmesan sauce is too thick, slowly add a small amount of half-and-half to thin it out. Make sure the sauce continues to simmer and does not come to a standstill, while you add half-and-half to thin it out.
  • If the creamy Parmesan sauce is too thin, add a small amount of shredded Parmesan cheese, and stir it in, while the sauce simmers.

How long do you cook farfalle?​

• Usually, farfalle is cooked in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
  • To prepare farfalle al dente,

How to make farfalle pasta​

1. First, caramelize onions for 30 minutes to reach a nice deep brown color. (See: how to caramelize onions). This step can be made ahead. Make caramelized onions a day or two in advance and keep them refrigerated in an airtight container.
  2. Next, cook the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
  3. Then, add spinach to cooked mushrooms and stir until spinach wilts.
  4. Next, make the creamy pasta sauce. Add half-and-half and shredded Parmesan cheese to the skillet with spinach and mushrooms. Stir, while the sauce simmers, until the cheese melts.
  5. Add caramelized onions to the skillet.
  6. Add cooked and drained farfalle pasta to the skillet with the pasta sauce and reheat on low heat for a couple of minutes.

Side dishes​

• Bread. Serve garlic bread or baguette with creamy farfalle pasta.
  • Green Salad. Make a basic green salad, such as spinach or arugula salad. Use a simple dressing made with olive oil, coarsely ground black pepper, and shredded Parmesan cheese.
  • Fresh salad. Make this tomato cucumber avocado salad or tomato mozzarella salad.

Other pasta recipes​

4.85 from 512 votes

Farfalle Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Caramelized Onions​

Creamy Farfalle with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Caramelized Onions. The bow-tie pasta is perfectly matched with rich and buttery Parmesan sauce! Serve this easy meatless Italian meal as-is, or with grilled chicken! Satisfying and comforting dinner that a whole family will love!

Print Recipe Pin Recipe

PREP TIME20minutes mins
COOK TIME30minutes mins
TOTAL TIME50minutes mins

COURSEMain Course
CUISINEItalian

SERVINGS4 people
CALORIES PER SERVING511 kcal

Author: Julia

Ingredients​

Caramelized onions​

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 yellow onions , large, sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Creamy pasta sauce​

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 10 oz mushrooms , sliced (I used button mushrooms)
  • 6 oz spinach
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

Pasta​

• 8 oz farfalle pasta
US Customary - Metric

Instructions​

How to caramelize onions:​

• Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add sliced onions and cook on high heat for about 10 minutes, constantly stirring with the spatula.
  • The onions should start to brown, but without burning.
  • Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking onions for 10 more minutes, continuing to stir, as onions brown even more without burning. At this point add a pinch of salt over onions.
  • Continue cooking for 10 more minutes on medium or low heat, stirring occasionally to make sure onions don’t stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
  • In total, you should have cooked onions for 30 minutes.
  • Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle the onions with a small amount of balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
  • Using a spatula, stir the onions, scraping the bottom of the pan and coating onions with a pinch of balsamic vinegar you just added. Remove caramelized onions to a plate.

How to cook mushrooms and spinach:​

• Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet on medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
  • Cook mushrooms for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until mushrooms are soft.
  • Add fresh spinach to the skillet and stir on low heat just until spinach starts to wilt.

How to make creamy pasta sauce:​

• Add half-and-half to the mushroom and spinach mixture and bring to a quick boil. Immediately reduce to simmer.
  • Add ⅔ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and ¼ teaspoon salt. Keep stirring while the sauce simmers until the cheese melts.
  • Add caramelized onions back to the skillet with the pasta sauce.

Cook pasta:​

• Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
  • Add cooked and drained farfalle pasta to the creamy sauce. Stir on low heat for a couple of minutes to reheat.
  • If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of half-and-half to thin it out. If it is too thin, add a small amount of shredded Parmesan cheese, and stir it in, while the sauce simmers.
  • Serve with more shredded parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Notes​

Substitute for half-and-half: Use ½ cup of heavy cream + ½ cup of milk instead of 1 cup of half-and-half.

Nutrition​

Nutrition Information

Farfalle Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Caramelized Onions

Amount per Serving
Calories

% Daily Value*
Fat

g
%
Saturated Fat

g
%
Polyunsaturated Fat

g
Monounsaturated Fat

g
Cholesterol

mg
%
Sodium

mg
%
Potassium

mg
%
Carbohydrates

g
%
Fiber

g
%
Sugar

g
%
Protein

g
%

Vitamin A

IU
%
Vitamin C

mg
%
Calcium

mg
%
Iron

mg
%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Nutrition Disclaimer:​

The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.

KEYWORDbow tie pasta, farfalle

Tried this recipe?Be sure to leave a comment and provide a Star Rating below - I love your feedback and try to respond to every comment!

Explore More

« Bucatini with Spinach, Bacon, Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Creamy Tuscan Salmon with Spinach, Artichokes, and Garlic »
2.1MSHARES
Please share your comment and Star Rating in the comments section below.
I appreciate your feedback!

Subscribe to my food blog (Julia's Album) by e-mail and get notified each time I post a new recipe!

(currently posting light and colorful SUMMER RECIPES).​

SUBSCRIBE TO JULIA'S NEW RECIPES BY E-MAIL!
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at anytime.

Reader Interactions​

Comments​

1. Henry
    July 04, 2023 at 6:24 pm

We've made this many times and it is always delicious! One of our go-to meals for sure.
  2. Debbie Smith
    July 03, 2023 at 2:07 pm
    Hi there. I just came across this and I would LOVE it, however my teens DO NOT like mushrooms. Do you have a suggestion to replace them? Or more spinach and throw in any other vegetable?
  3. Aaron
    May 07, 2023 at 7:28 pm
    What is your definition of a large onion? Three large onions sliced won't even fit into a large skillet.
    • Julia
      June 07, 2023 at 8:48 pm
      Aaron, if they don't fit, cook them in batches. The sliced onions don't have to be in a skillet in a single layer. I used a large, high-sided skillet to hold the onions together. 3 medium sized onions would work great, too!
  4. Dee Fischer
    May 05, 2023 at 7:13 pm

This recipe surely beats out the typical red sauce pasta that’s usually served once a week. A pleasant change it was.
    I made the recipe as it’s written and it came out fantastic. I definitely will make it again but will try it with asparagus or Brussels sprouts, just to see how it differs in taste.
    This recipe is a keeper! Thank you Julia!
    • Julia
      June 07, 2023 at 8:54 pm
      Dee, your wonderful comment really made my day! ❤️❤️ I bet this would be delicious with asparagus!
    • Jenny
      June 29, 2023 at 5:01 pm

Followed instructions and regret doing so. Making the cream sauce in the same dish over cooks the spinach and mushroom mixture. I lost all the beautiful browning in the mushroom. The cheese does not melt evenly causing large blobs of cheese. You can mix it well with the spinach and mushrooms. Ended up with a watery mix with blobs.
  5. Kathryn
    April 24, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Spinach is a no go........I use quartered brussel sprouts and it is fabulos
    • Julia
      June 07, 2023 at 9:33 pm
      Kathryn, good to know Brussels sprouts worked great here!
      • Gene
        June 30, 2023 at 8:01 pm
        Hmmm..I’m also a meat guy…wonder if browned sweet sausage would fit in…recipe looks awesome
  6. Sibylle
    April 10, 2023 at 1:24 pm

Hey Julia, I’m not sure I’ve ever commented on any of your recipes, (my bad) so I wanted to let you know that every single one I’ve ever tried has been fabulous, this one being no exception. As a matter of fact, if I see a new recipe and it has your name, I know it will be good. Thank you. I apologize for not saying something sooner.
    • Julia
      June 07, 2023 at 10:31 pm
      Sibylle, your comment really made my day! ❤️❤️❤️ I am so glad you appreciate my recipes - thank you for taking the time to share such a kind message - it means a lot to me.
  7. Tahra
    February 27, 2023 at 9:14 pm

Holy moly, best pasta recipe I’ve ever made! 10/10! So delicious! We added extra mushrooms and spinach to get more veggies in! So glad we gave this a try!
    • Julia
      March 18, 2023 at 8:11 pm
      Tahra, your comment made my day! 🙂 So glad you loved this recipe!
  8. roberta
    February 11, 2023 at 6:26 pm
    Your nutritional list does not state how much 1 serving is. We need to keep strict carbohydrate counts due to diabetes. We were unable to try this dish...
    • Julia
      February 13, 2023 at 6:01 pm
      Roberta, the whole recipe makes 4 servings. So, I would just divide the whole recipe into 4 equal sized portions.
      • Cynthia Love
        April 11, 2023 at 6:32 pm
        Can you use heavy cream and almond milk as I don’t have any half and half on hand nor any whole milk
        • Julia
          June 07, 2023 at 10:27 pm
          Cynthia, yes, you can. Other reviewers have done it and it worked great!
« Older Comments

Leave a Reply​

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Recipe RatingRecipe Rating
Comment *
Name *
Email *

Primary Sidebar​

Hi, I'm Julia! Welcome to my recipe blog where I share easy-to-make weeknight dinners and other recipes using simple ingredients!
I make and test all of the recipes presented on this site.
I also do all of the writing and the original food photography (and sometimes travel) for JuliasAlbum.com. My recipes are everyday, familiar foods, cooked from scratch. I hope you enjoy them and let me know your feedback in the comments!
More about me →

Summer Favorites​

Connect with Julia on Social Media:

Get Julia's new recipes by e-mail:Subscribe by E-mail
Search

Footer​

↑ back to top

Privacy and Disclosure​

About​