Mum's 'unclaimable' MOULD covered car wins her a payout from her insurance company! Here's the full story

Mould is one of those household problems that can be tricky to solve. You might think you've gotten rid of it, only to find it reappearing a few days later.

And if you find mould on your car, it can be even more difficult to remove. That's because car paint is more porous than other surfaces, so the mould can penetrate deeper and be harder to get rid of.

If you're living in an area that is prone to mould growth, you'll need to be extra vigilant about keeping your car clean.

That's why one mum was so surprised to find her car covered in mould after months of rain.

After leaving her car unused throughout Sydney's wettest months, Anita Birges, the owner of Mise en Place Professional Organising, discovered it to be riddled with mould.

She and her husband Ryan revealed in a video posted to Instagram that they called their insurer after receiving fan advice, and while mould is an 'unclaimable event,' the automobile was written off since it created a 'health risk' to the assessor.

[INSTAGRAM]

Ryan shared: 'I called the insurance company and mould is an unclaimable event but the assessor would not enter the vehicle because it's a health hazard.'

'Which means it's a write-off. It was dangerous for him to get into the car and we got paid. So RIP Mazda, show me the money,' Anita added.

Anita also wrote in the caption that while the procedure took some time, it was worthwhile because they ultimately obtained their goals.

The caption read: 'The assessors said it was a health hazard and dangerous for anyone to enter the vehicle.'

Previously, Anita was stumped as to how to clean Ryan's 2013 Mazda 3 after it was discovered to be covered in the hazardous fungus.

'We would have never thought to go to our insurer if it wasn't for your suggestions to do so,' it continued.

The clip showed Anita filming herself and her husband while they were standing outside the automobile, which was showing signs of a green mould infestation on the front seats, steering wheel, and carpet.

XO-3UplEwxN3UMeeXXZSnV_qWDZ_aKsN4NrM2kHMKlIXRhpzWEz1k4I3QtxacDvu9_i1ZFJOOBhmX3ENqoHbeEQbKIy66GNM-qzsG9i_VV1XSNoYXGtEPR9fVff4IqdTqlUQ2OgfvyJqXaM6ZnMSnT7ftWRPHb1CZYabz5z1sjDnoXveSoj1qPdk
qYhiE85JTgEUFM2TJlucE3dpH8ifpow-QDRxbRSaXhh7On-PFU4erme1SotyD5ALiJf-YbRVKSbKFKRPbKyqON8ZsHlCFuO_h49mA-kdWNA0GwM48xrXoHHJV7Aa4Wl0e8_OW6_LwTy2CaCQWDND_NdhHzXmQME5OCKDZ21fwxQ7K1mzBxXi_4j4

A previous video shared by Anita showed how infested her car was with mould. Credit: TikTok/@mise_en_place_aus.

The automobile had not been touched for months and was preserved for Anita's husband's teenage daughter, who is anticipated to begin driving at the end of the year.

Anita pointed out: 'This is what happens when you leave a car in hibernation during the wettest year Sydney has ever seen.'

'Little did we know that when we went to move it out of the driveway today that we would get this beautiful surprise.'

'To say I was completely shocked is an understatement. I have NEVER seen mould like this in my life.'

Since the car was abandoned during months of rain, it served as the ideal breeding environment for mould owing to a lack of airflow.

While Anita is known for teaching people how to get rid of mould from things like leather jackets, bags, blinds, children's toys, and lunchboxes, she couldn't figure out how to do it in a car.

Since mould can harm your health, it's important to leave the cleaning to experts if necessary according to the cleaning guru.

'You know me, I'm willing to give anything a red hot go and I love finding a good DIY cleaning solution, she shared.

'But I am not afraid to put my hands up and say that this is way too much for me to handle and I need some expert advice.'

If you've ever had something go wrong with your home or property and had to make a claim with your insurance company, you know how important it is to have everything in order.

The last thing you want is to be denied coverage because you failed to properly document the damage or didn't follow the proper procedures.

The same goes for any damage to your property, even if you don't think it will be covered by your insurance. It's always best to check with your insurer to be sure, rather than assuming that your claim will be denied.

There have been several cases in recent years where people have been surprised to find out that their insurance policy did cover certain types of damage, even though they thought it wouldn't, with Anita's story being proof of this.

So, if you're ever in doubt, it's always best to give your insurer a call and ask. It could save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.

Sponsored