Mum's extreme money-saving tricks: 'I'd rather die than pay retail'

In an era when the cost of living is soaring and every penny counts, some individuals are taking frugality to new heights.

Shelley Watson, a mother of two, has become the town's talk with unconventional money-saving tactics that are as jaw-dropping as they are thrifty.

Her story is a testament to the lengths some will go to save money, and it's a wild ride that might inspire you—or leave you in disbelief.

Shelley's journey into the world of extreme savings is featured in the series So Freakin Cheap, which showcases four families with an extraordinary knack for pinching pennies.

The Watson family, led by Shelley, stands out for their unique approach to frugality.

From repurposing pet fur to hosting a wedding on a shoestring budget, they're redefining what it means to be economical.

1724371955019.png
Shelley Watson saved money using her pet's fur for pillow stuffing. Credit: TLC / YouTube

One of Shelley's most talked-about tricks involves her pet's fur.

Instead of discarding the fluff her dog sheds, she collects it and uses it as stuffing for pillows and cushions.

'I'd rather die than pay full price or retail for anything,' Shelley proclaims with conviction.

Her dedication to saving money doesn't stop at DIY pillow stuffing; it extends to every aspect of her family's life, including mealtime.

Shelley's 'family pasta night' differs from your typical Italian feast.

Instead of shopping for ingredients, she visits her neighbours to gather leftover pasta, which she then combines into a 'hodgepodge' of spaghetti, macaroni, and penne.

‘I go to my neighbours to see what pasta they have leftover, and we put them all into one put, and we have just a hodge podge of pastas,’ she said.

The pasta is strained using an old tennis racket—a family heirloom—instead of a colander.

‘My mum and dad have had that racket for as long as I can remember,’ her daughter Ashley claimed.

‘Honestly, you could probably spend a couple of dollars and buy a colander, but it works just fine, so that's what they use.’

Don't expect Shelley to bring out the fine china when it's time to eat.

Dinner is served on paper plates covered in plastic wrap, allowing the family to reuse the plates and save on water bills by avoiding the dishwasher.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 201151.png
She demonstrated frugality with a mixed pasta dinner from neighbours and a tennis racket as a colander. Credit: TLC / YouTube

‘Go ahead and eat, but remember to keep the plastic on your plate because we're going to reuse the paper plates,’ Shelley told her family.

‘We've had water bills before that have been $300 or $400, so we try not to use the dishwasher as much as we possibly can, and that's why we use the plastic wrap and paper plate,’

‘Now, because we conserve water so much, our bills are down to $100.’

Shelley's frugal ways are a family tradition she learned from her father.

‘When I was younger, I didn't know that my parents were frugal. It was just the way we were,’ Shelley recalled.

‘My dad is a retired teacher, and they live in a very expensive area, but he was never a doctor or lawyer like the rest of the people who live there.’

Her parents' frugality was simply the way of life, a legacy that Shelley has embraced and taken to new levels.

For those curious to see Shelley's cost-cutting exploits in action, So Freakin Cheap offers a front-row seat to her world of savings.

The show's first episode, aptly titled 'Rather Die Than Pay Retail,' is available to stream on 9Now.
Key Takeaways

• Shelley Watson engages in extreme money-saving tactics, one of which involves using her pet's fur for pillow stuffing.
  • She showcases her frugality by serving her family a mixed pasta dinner sourced from neighbours and using a tennis racket as a colander.
  • The Watson family conserves water by serving meals on plastic-wrapped paper plates to avoid using the dishwasher, significantly reducing their bills.
  • Shelley's frugal ways were influenced by her father, demonstrating that being economical can lead to financial savings over time.
Have you ever tried unconventional methods like Shelley's, or do you prefer more traditional approaches to frugality? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sounds gross.
Wonder what she feeds to the dog and if she is so frugal why does she have one!. Buying paper plates and plastic wrap would be dearer in the long run. Why have a washing up machine they waste too much water and how embarrassing going around scavenging off neighbours they will eventually pull their blinds down when they see her coming.