Mum warns of dangers after scalding tea accident leaves skin ‘melting off’

Content warning: This article discusses a serious incident involving severe burns caused by hot liquids, which may be distressing to some readers. Please exercise caution while reading if you are sensitive to graphic descriptions of injuries.

In a shocking turn of events, a mum has shared a harrowing experience that highlights the potential dangers lurking in everyday household items.

This cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder for families to remain vigilant about safety in their homes.

As the incident unfolds, it underscores the importance of proper handling and awareness of common products that can lead to serious injuries.

The story has sparked discussions on household safety and the precautions families should take to protect themselves and their loved ones.

A woman has shared a cautionary message after experiencing a typical household injury that resulted in her skin ‘melting off’ right before her eyes.

Rosalind Levine was relaxing on the couch with her morning cup of tea when, unexpectedly, the steaming mug slipped from her grasp, spilling the scalding liquid onto her chest and lap.

pexels-mtyutina-814264.jpg
A mum suffered severe burns from a hot tea accident and is warning others about the dangers of handling hot drinks away from a table. Credit: Pexels / Maria Tyutina

‘I went to lift it up to my mouth, and it just completely fell out of my hand because I wasn't at a table, it went down my chest and into my lap,’ the 45-year-old recalled.

‘The pain was searing. It was horrendous. It was like having a flame held to you. The pain shot through me, it was really shocking.’

‘I jumped up and tried to lean forward in the hope that the water would drop off me, but of course, it didn't because my clothes were clinging to me,’ she continued.

‘I was desperately trying to get them off while screaming in pain at the same time. As I took the thin tracksuit bottoms off, I saw that the top layer of skin had melted away.’

Shocking photos reveal the painful five-inch (12.7cm) burn on her left thigh just minutes after the hot drink spilled onto her, with blisters and burns appearing in the pattern of the splashes.

After standing under a cold shower for 10 minutes, the UK mother called an ambulance, confessing that she started to feel faint.

‘I made the water as cold as I possibly could, I think because the burn was so hot, I wasn't even feeling it was cold water,’ Ms Levine narrated.

She admitted that the entire experience was ‘really scary’, particularly because her three-year-old was sleeping upstairs.

‘I thought, “I've only dropped a tea down myself, what the hell is happening?” At this point, I collapsed onto the floor, I was still conscious, and poured cold water over my leg,’ the mum continued.

‘About 20 minutes later, the paramedic came, took my blood pressure, monitored me, gave me some bandages and said I'd be alright.’

‘My chest is very red, but the skin didn't melt away because I was sitting upright, and it pooled in my lap,’ she added.

The worried mum is now advising others to exercise caution and only consume hot drinks at a table.

According to Kidsafe, 79 per cent of severe burns in children occur at home in Australia, with the majority caused by hot beverages.

‘I've drunk thousands of cups of tea before, I couldn't tell you why or how that happened. My advice would be if you're having a really hot drink, sit at the table with it, then, if you do drop it, it mostly goes onto the table and not into your lap,’ Ms Levine cautioned.

In a similar incident, Queensland mother Renee Steepe recounted how a horrifying scream alerted her to her toddler's painful injury.

Her young daughter, Amarnie, tried to lift a hot cup of tea to her mouth but ended up spilling it on herself, resulting in full-thickness burns comparable to third-degree burns and a hospital stay.

The alarming incident involving a mum’s severe burn from a hot beverage serves as a stark reminder of the everyday dangers lurking in our homes, especially when it comes to the safety of our children.

Just as hot drinks can lead to devastating injuries, another rising concern has emerged: the potential hazards associated with instant noodles, which have prompted a surge in hospital visits during the school holidays.

As doctors raise the alarm over these seemingly harmless meals, it’s crucial for parents to remain vigilant about all aspects of kitchen safety, ensuring that both children and adults are protected from preventable injuries.
Key Takeaways

• A mum suffered severe burns from a hot tea accident, leading her to caution others about the dangers of handling hot drinks away from a table.
  • Rosalind Levine experienced skin melting off her thigh due to the incident, with severe pain and blisters resulting from the scalding liquid.
  • She recommended always sitting at a table while consuming hot beverages to prevent similar accidents from occurring.
  • Burns from hot beverages at home are a significant problem, with Kidsafe noting that they make up 79 per cent of severe burns to children in Australia.
Have you or someone you know been a victim of a similar household accident? What do you advise others to stay safe when handling hot liquids? We invite you to share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored