Mum shares harrowing details of abduction with baby daughter: ‘I felt really sick’

The tranquillity of a routine shopping trip was shattered for a Melbourne mother and her baby daughter in a terrifying abduction that unfolded in a suburban supermarket car park.

The ordeal, which involved being held at knifepoint and coerced into a criminal scheme, has left the community reeling.

Kieran, the mother in question, recounted the harrowing experience that began in the Stud Park Shopping Centre car park in Rowville, southeast Melbourne.

It was around 6 pm on May 10 when her world turned upside down. As she was getting her daughter out of the car seat, a man emerged from the shadows, brandishing a knife and demanding she comply with his orders.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 081727.png
Kieran shared the terrifying details of her and her baby daughter's abduction. Image source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube

‘He just said, “Get in your car and drive”. I just remember begging like “I’ve got a daughter, you can have my car, you can have my wallet, you can have my phone, take everything, just leave me with my daughter,”’ she said.

She said he forced her into the driver’s seat while he sat in the back with her daughter.

‘He kept demanding, “I don’t want your car, I don’t want your wallet, I don’t want your phone, just get in the car and drive.”’

The man instructed her to visit various electrical stores in the Melbourne suburbs of Rowville and Dandenong and insisted that she purchase Apple MacBooks.

In the middle of their journey, Kieran said that she and her abductor swapped seats.

She recounted: ‘I was very nervous and I’m already quite a nervous driver. We started driving and he said go to Lynbrook and I said, “I don’t know where that is.”’

‘He said, “'I’ll tell you, just go” and to “stop crying and breathe” but I couldn’t.’

‘I wasn’t the best driver at that moment and we just kept driving and I felt really sick. My daughter kept crying in the back seat. All I can remember hearing was my daughter crying. He was trying to get her to calm down and I was trying to get her to calm down.’

‘We were both crying and he said “stop crying” and I ended up feeling really sick, so we ended up pulling over so I could throw up,’ she shared.

Throughout the nightmare, the man remained in the car with Kieran's child as she entered stores to fulfil his demands.

The situation took an even more dramatic turn when Kieran's husband, having received a notification that her phone had been involved in a car crash, managed to track her down.

‘The guy threw my phone and keys out the window. My poor husband got a notification on his phone that I was in a crash, so he thought the worst,’ Kieran continued.

‘[He] caught up to us, he knew something was wrong, then my dad started calling, so I knew he’d contacted my family looking for me.’

‘My husband caught up with us at the second lot of stores and tried to confront us and I just remember yelling at my husband that he has a knife and I just didn’t want him to get hurt.’

He attempted to intervene, but the doors were locked, and the abductor drove off with Kieran and her daughter still inside.

In a final twist, the man eventually allowed Kieran to take her daughter and drive home.

‘We pulled over into a park and he said, “That’s it, you can take your daughter home’, and I started driving and realised I could pull over for help, so I pulled over to a strip of shops and asked for help.’

The man fled the scene, carrying four stolen MacBooks, leaving Kieran and her baby unharmed but deeply shaken.

436205960_854508600035537_8847405116338275498_n.jpg
Kieran’s abductor managed to steal four Apple Macbooks. Image source: Victoria Police/Facebook

While Kieran and her child were unharmed during the incident, Victoria Police is urgently urging members of the public with dashcam footage or who witnessed the abduction to come forward immediately.

They said in a statement, ‘The man is perceived to be Asian in appearance and aged between 20 and 35.’

‘He was wearing a grey-coloured hoodie, with the hood over his head, a green fluro vest over the top of the hoodie and black/grey pants with black running shoes.’

‘Anyone who witnessed the incident, or with any other information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au,’ the statement said.

You can listen to Kieran’s story here:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our heartfelt sympathies to Kieran and her family and commend her courage in sharing her story.
Key Takeaways
  • A mother and her baby were abducted at knifepoint in a shopping centre car park in Melbourne's southeast.
  • The assailant forced the mother to buy Apple MacBooks at several stores while holding her and her child hostage.
  • Kieran's husband was alerted to the situation by a notification that her phone had been in a crash, leading him to track her.
  • Victoria Police have released a description of the suspect and are appealing for witnesses or dashcam footage to come forward.
Members, have you ever encountered a situation that made you feel unsafe in public spaces? How do you ensure your own security and that of your loved ones when out and about? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I feel sorry for her, but the story is quite odd.
*If she purchased the Mac books, they aren't stolen
*If her phone was smashed, how did she know her dad was calling her

I'm old and confused. Please keep replies respectful. Thank you.

Something decidedly off about this story. Plenty of material there to poke holes in.

Something decidedly off about this story. Plenty of material there to poke holes in.
Agree. But she was clearly very upset by the ordeal. Glad that they are both ok even if some of the story is not correct.