Mum shares disappointing Woolworths experience: ‘I just want my items delivered’

In the world of online shopping, convenience is king. But what happens when the convenience you're paying for turns into a frustrating ordeal?

This is the question many Woolworths customers are asking as they face repeated issues with the supermarket giant's home delivery service.

Eliza, a mother of 16-month-old twins, has relied on Woolworths' home delivery service since her children were born. The convenience of having groceries delivered to her doorstep was a game-changer for her busy family life.

However, her experience with the service has been far from smooth sailing.

In a video, Eliza shared her frustration with the supermarket giant.

‘Sometimes things don’t always go right, and there’s weird product substitutions, or it’s not the exact fruit and vegetable I would have picked, but I sort of just live with that because it’s part of the delivery experience,’ she said.

‘But what s***s me the most with Woolworths delivery is when they miss an entire bag or several bags and they won’t re-deliver. They always offer to give you a refund, but I don’t want a refund, I just want my items delivered. I need these groceries.’

Screenshot_1.png
Eliza, a mum of twins, aired her frustrations about Woolworths’ delivery service. Image Credit: TikTok / @peppercg

The missing items then leave her with no choice but to make a quick trip to the supermarket, making the whole point of ordering moot.

‘[It] is really inconvenient because I would have just done my whole grocery shop in person if that was going to be the end result,’ she said.

‘If it’s their mistake, they should deliver it.’

Eliza's followers were quick to share their own experiences and frustrations, with many agreeing that Woolworths should take responsibility for their mistakes.

One user commented, 'If I'm paying a premium for delivery, I'm not paying to then drive to the shops again!'

Another shared their disappointment with the click and collect service: ‘I live an hour away, and I’ve driven home three times before and then realised they’ve missed half my order.’

compressed-shutterstock_2264330993.jpeg
For a minimum spend of $50, Woolworths customers can order their groceries online. Image Credit: Shutterstock

In response to the backlash, a spokesperson for Woolworths stated that they have a 'dedicated team of personal shoppers who work hard to handpick thousands of online orders to the highest standard every day'.

‘While our teams work hard to provide a great experience every time, we don't always get substitutions right, or selected items may be out of stock,’ they said.

They also encouraged customers to contact them directly should something be amiss with their order so they can rectify it as quickly as possible.

Professor Roberta Crouch from the College of Business, Government and Law at Flinders University weighed in on the issue.

‘You can't be offering a service and then not follow through,’ she said. ‘And consumers don't have to put up with it.’

‘The field is far too competitive for Woolworths or anybody else to be providing this crap service, quite frankly.’

Eliza’s experience also underscored the power of choice among ordinary shoppers.

Source: TikTok/@peppercg

‘When you have someone like this young woman, who has got two little kids, it's major for her to go out to the store and pick up groceries,’ Professor Crouch said.

‘If this is an ongoing experience for her, then she needs to swap supermarkets because, as she rightfully says, it's about the fact that she now has to get in her car and go and get the stuff, and if she has to do that, she might as well have done that for the whole shop in the first place.’

‘I just think she shouldn’t have to put up with it, and consumers have more power than that.’

Professor Crouch also explained how Eliza’s complaint put brand loyalty into the spotlight.

‘We all love to be brand loyal because it saves us this cognitive work... and nobody turns their back on a brand that's been good to them because they got it wrong once,’ she said.

‘But if it becomes a pattern and they're not fulfilling their main promise, then you've got to cut them loose and find somebody else who will.’

Key Takeaways
  • A mum of twins named Eliza shared her frustrations with Woolworths’ delivery service.
  • While she understands that products do go missing occasionally, Eliza aired her disbelief that Woolworths misses entire bags of orders and doesn’t offer redelivery.
  • Woolworths claims to have a dedicated team for online orders but admits that substitutions and stock issues can occur.
  • Flinders University College of Business, Government and Law Professor Roberta Crouch encourages consumers to consider switching supermarkets if they experience consistent problems with their service.

Have you experienced similar issues with your online grocery shopping? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I usually have Coles delivery because I don’t drive. If you don’t have a huge order you can usually have it come by car. I live in a duplex and often have found my order left outside my neighbors door in QLD heat on the ground and covered in ants ! This week a foreign guy with hardly any English came to the door beckoning me to follow him to his car, he had two orders in his car and because the packer had forgotten to put labels on the bags he didn’t know which was mine. Nothing when shopping is easy any more !

There used to be a delivery service at Coles where you could go shopping as normal, picking out your items and paying for them at a register. Pay $2 more and have them delivered.
My Mum didn't drive and had 6 kids to buy for.

There used to be a delivery service at Coles where you could go shopping as normal, picking out your items and paying for them at a register. Pay $2 more and have them delivered.
My Mum didn't drive and had 6 kids to buy for.
My grandmother had 11 children, spoke very little English, didn't drive, had no husband and ran a boarding house with 5 residents (including meals)... she coped.... on top of all that she took in young girls and taught them how to cook (she was a master at that), clean and look after a husband......all without the modern conveniences...

• Haha
Reactions: Petra
During my recovery from hip replacement surgery I ordered delivery from Woolworths twice. The first one just didn't arrive. The delivery driver (not a woolies employee) couldn't find my home in a retirement village. The 2nd delivery was left at another home in my complex, with my options being - go and get it myself or take a refund. Their delivery service (Uber) had my address recorded as something totally different from what it should be, and seemed unable to correct this error. I got a refund in both cases (which took 3-4 days to arrive in my bank - shame if I was low on funds at the time!!) and promptly ordered the same items from Coles, which turned up within 2 hours. I will NEVER use Woolies delivery again.

It is hard to believe they miss bags of groceries. Don't you have to sign for it. If they are so bad go elsewhere

I do online shopping from both Coles and woolworths depends on the specials , I really haven't had a problem with Coles but woolworths is another story. I often had bags of shopping missing or packs of water.
You don't check your groceries while the delivery guy is there, it's pretty much drop and leave.

A couple of weeks ago I did an express order at woolworths, it stated it would be delivered by 1pm. Then I kept getting messages that it was delayed. At 5pm I got a message it was delivered , but there were no groceries
I called up and the guy said that was strange as it was picked up from the store at 4.50 pm and delivered back at 4.55 pm stating they couldn’t find my address . It takes at least 10 minutes to get to mine and that one way and no traffic.

He rearranged delivery with Uber. Arrived 30 min later but only half of it. I decided to call the store direct and they said the uber guy forgot the fridge n freezer stuff and they would have it delivered by close. That was a lie, the uber driver delivered what woolworths gave him.

10 pm no delivery. I called but they had just closed.

I called at 8am and again they apologised and arranged delivery . I was fuming . Delivery arrived , iceblocks completely melted these were in a box and each in a sealed plastic bag.
Icecream melted, milk warm, mince brown. I can guarantee it wasn't stored in the fridge.
I called and was told they would give a $10 credit, I told them I wanted the items replaced .

They never got back to me. Infact I could nolonger get into my account. They emailed me saying there was a limit of 2 accounts per address .
I have an account as does hubby. My daughter has one , and my son and even two of my married daughters have their groceries delivered to mine if they are not home eg they are at work.

My daughter has given up on woolworths as twice she had another person's groceries delivered

• Wow
Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
The best way would be for the person packing the bag at Woolworths to call the person if something is not available to find out what they would like to replace that item. It would only take a few minutes and the customer would feel better knowing they have not received something they cannot use. What went wrong with the saying "The customer is always right"

I shop online the day before and to boot pickup the next day when we are in our nearest large centre. You do have the ability to say what substitutions you want if items are out of stock - the thing I am warring with Woolies over is the bread I buy, I haven't been able to buy online for over 2 months - only to go into the store for something I forgot and there on the shelves was the bread we like to eat!

The best way would be for the person packing the bag at Woolworths to call the person if something is not available to find out what they would like to replace that item. It would only take a few minutes and the customer would feel better knowing they have not received something they cannot use. What went wrong with the saying "The customer is always right"
Remember to TELL them your choice of substitutions - that will solve your problems.

It is hard to believe they miss bags of groceries. Don't you have to sign for it. If they are so bad go elsewhere
No, you don't sign for it, when the driver delivers it, he photographs the bags on your doorstep, records it on his phone and goes.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have used both Woolworths and Coles for home delivery, it is a 50 km roundtrip for me to go to either of these supermarkets and at over 70 years of age I have found this to be very convenient, BUT Woolworths are absolutely terrible at supplying exactly what you ordered, Coles is an improvement but find it frustrating to discover an item ordered has not been supplied due to 'out of stock' which you don't discover until unpacking groceries so you either have to go without or make a special trip to choose a similar item. I definitely don't trust either supermarket to make appropriate substitutions. More recently I have been doing Click N Collect for my groceries when I have to go to town to carry out other chores, that way if something is missing I can purchase it elsewhere whilst in town.

My grandmother had 11 children, spoke very little English, didn't drive, had no husband and ran a boarding house with 5 residents (including meals)... she coped.... on top of all that she took in young girls and taught them how to cook (she was a master at that), clean and look after a husband......all without the modern conveniences...
Slavery !!!! lol no wonder she had 11 children, she did nothing else.

Reactions: IAN3005
Good grief..... what did our parents and grandparents do with up to 12 kids!!!!!!
There were no supermarkets back then.....
When I was married (1955), the grocer called to my home weekly, took my order, told me of new items, delivered the order & gave me a quality gift at Christmas & a calendar.

When I was married (1955), the grocer called to my home weekly, took my order, told me of new items, delivered the order & gave me a quality gift at Christmas & a calendar.
That's the way.....I remember the milkman coming around on his bicycle with an urn on the front and the housewife would be waiting with her jug and he would fill it with a tap on the front of the urn..... un-refrigerated and un-pasteurised.

You can track your Uber driver and call them as I do get a mobile no also.they always ring me if they can’t find me and I ring them if they look lost.😊

Never used an Uber..... can't afford it.
That’s what woollies uses rather than the truck depending on the time slot😊 I get free delivery my sister organised it for me she gets so many a year.Im not complaining I know that much.🐯