Mum safeguards her couch from stains using $19 item from Kmart: "I'm so happy!"

Whether you're a homeowner or a renter, buying a high-quality lounge is one of the most important, and expensive, furniture purchases you'll probably ever make.

After all, they are one of the primary focal points in a living room and have a lifespan that can range anywhere from seven to fifteen years, depending on the amount of attention and care or lack thereof, that is given to them.

However, given that your living room is also a gathering spot for you, your friends, and your loved ones, it is almost certain that some accidents, such as a spill or two, will take place at some point.

And if you live with your grandchildren, have a pet, or sometimes eat takeout in the living room (we're guilty of this…), the chances of an unsightly stain on your couch have just tripled.

Cxj4BxVZJVUCajQIhE4iNagg7QmhOmmSeX5pdupSHp0xCbFtnp3IvjA-xY04XQtEJMhek03d3HyOat4jBgfYjNH57uTEVQaxTyoubyBXDcN9RDF8l3RdFWDXuWS86b-9MkmM1Q030-nsq4g9OA

A mum has found the best way to keep the mess off her couch. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

To prevent this kind of messy situation from happening to her beloved couch, one mum had a genius idea – and of course, she shared it with her fellow crafters on social media.

"Need inspiration for a couch cover? We recently purchased a new couch, and I am terrified of my two-and-a-half-year-old son ruining it with the dribble, snot, sticky fingers, and food, among other things," said mum Roxi Leow in her Facebook post.

To combat messy toddlers and unexpected stains from damaging your lounge, the mum claimed that the perfect solution can be found in one of our favourite retail stores.

All you need is the $19 Alaska Throw from Kmart! Simply look for one that matches the colour of your couch, then cover each cushion with the blanket to keep the mess at bay.

"You can hardly even tell, and now I can remove and wash them if they get dirty. I'm so happy!" said Roxi excitedly.

1BZc6oAuxTwCL_n8TkfW0EnbJsJvNHb08roDeB_KbFpTM4S3y_Aa6MaLBfaacgQ_ltbI26gC7JA7f1AQUAAXIz56xvWLUPcKdRoklLRAu6uzGqtcWqFkl9VGy2_Srd1OLGSZ7DDdt4tRhhEzPg

At Kmart, these Alaska Throws only cost $19, which is a great deal. Credit: Kmart.

When asked about it in the comments, Roxi claimed that her Nick Scali couch was already treated with Scotchgard (a brand of fabric protector) and has a warranty against accidental stains. She joked, however, that she doesn't trust her son because he is so messy.

But still, she found it necessary to add another layer of protection, such as the throws she found in Kmart. She just tucked the throws in tightly around the cushions, making sure no wrinkles or creases are showing.

The mum's Facebook post quickly went viral on the platform, with many fellow parents praising the brilliant idea and saying they, too, were interested in giving it a go.

"Amazing, thanks for the advice! I also have a lounge in the same colour and a 21-month-old toddler," one mum wrote in the comments. Another chimed in and added, "Looks like I'll be heading to Kmart soon to do mine! Thank you for the brilliant idea!"

Furniture is a big investment, and we all want ours to last a long time. If you're interested in learning more about Scotch Gard and how it protects your couch, watch the video below:

Credit: Quale House.

Sponsored
really a throw- who would have thought! I say tongue in cheek. Honestly nothing new about that - grandparents and grandparents covered their lounges- sheets/blankets. I've also used old beach towels for the ones the pets sit on most and are washed regularly- may not be pretty. The fleece ones are great as well. Single bed quilts also work well. There is so much to choose from, and one can give a fresh new look each season even.