Mum ridiculed for asking this question about ALDI item: 'People are so paranoid'

Navigating the world of grocery shopping can sometimes feel like a minefield, especially when it comes to ensuring the freshness and quality of the food we bring into our homes.

For those who often pride themselves on their culinary expertise and knowledge of good produce, it can be particularly problematic when something seems to need fixing with a staple item like bread.

Recently, a mum's innocent query about an ALDI bread purchase sparked a flurry of reactions online, ranging from helpful to downright mocking.

After buying a Wild Rise Light Rye Sourdough loaf, she noticed a white dusting on the bread and turned to social media advice.

1724209101858.png
ALDI shopper finds a white substance on sourdough bread and asks if it’s normal. Credit: Facebook

'Is this normal flour or mould?' she asked, sharing a photo of the loaf.

The mum's question is valid, as the appearance of mould on bread can sometimes begin as a white substance before turning into the green and black spots we're more familiar with.

In the comment section, some ALDI customers reassured the mum that the white dusting was simply flour, a common sight on artisanal sourdough bread.

'Sourdough usually has flour on it - looks normal to me,' one person commented, while another added, 'Yep, this is 1000% normal. It is baker's flour.'

Others suggested a practical approach: 'It’s flour, although I would always do a sniff test to be sure,' and 'I get why you would think this because some bread moulds do start off as white.'

However, not all responses were kind. Some members of the group couldn't resist poking fun at the question, with one quipping, 'Look, knowing ALDI, it might just be mould. But people are so paranoid these days.'

To provide a professional perspective, a baker named Oliver clarified that while sourdough isn't typically dusted with flour, the white substance on the loaf is likely residual flour from the proofing process.

'You dust the baskets that the bread proofs in so the dough doesn’t get stuck,' he explained.

Oliver also shared a reassuring fact about sourdough: 'A great thing about sourdough is that it’s way more resistant to mould than other breads because of the acids it produces that give it that sour taste.’

‘You’d have to keep it in a humid place or in a plastic bag for a long period for it to grow mould.'
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper posted about finding a white substance on her sourdough bread and asked if it was normal.
  • The post was met with helpful responses and light-hearted mockery on social media.
  • A baker clarified that what was seen is likely residual flour from proofing baskets and that sourdough is more resistant to mould than other bread due to the acids it produces.
  • The baker also mentioned that the bread dough is dusted with flour during proofing to prevent it from sticking to the baskets.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation with a grocery item that left you puzzled? Share your experiences with us in the comments below, and let's help each other stay informed and confident in our food choices!

Sponsored
I wont buy Aldi bread anymore as I found they quite often give off a awful smell of alcohol that smells like nail varnish. They say Oh just take it back and we will refund you the money, problem is/was I would only go every couple of week as its a 90min return drive for me.

• Sad
Reactions: Jersey Girl
Others suggested a practical approach: 'It’s flour, although I would always do a sniff test to be sure,' and 'I get why you would think this because some bread moulds do start off as white.'

So this shopper opens the packaging to declare if a product is satisfactory? Do they also take the lid off a container of milk and have a snort or sip? Why not bite a piece out of an apple to see if it is fresh?

Total idiot!

Your article is about being ridiculed.

I say if you can't be helpful when a person seeks advice, then be quiet.

The SDC forum has unnecessary ridiculing contributors too.

SDC Admin should bar those posters from offending.
l agree it's not nice to make someone feel small

Reactions: June E