Mum reveals amazing tricks on how to save money at Coles and Woolworths!

With the cost of living rising, many Australian families are struggling to keep up with basic expenses like groceries.

However, one savvy Melbourne mum has shown how she manages to slash her grocery bills.

Louellen was thrilled after her recent trip to Coles scored her family some incredible savings.

Her haul included 2.2kg of chicken breast for only $1.44, mild sopressa salami for 47c (down from its original price of $7.50), smoked chilli chicken for 98c (down from $19.71), and roast pork for 43c (down from $8.70).

SDC 2.png
A savvy mum shared her markdown buys from her recent trip to Coles. Image source: Facebook.

'I hit the jackpot today,' Louellen said on social media.

Uploading a photo alongside her post, she continued: 'The top row is containers of cubed chicken breast, 2.2kg for $1.44! And heaps of trays of deli meat like roast pork, ham, and salami.'

She credits her success to keeping an eagle eye out for markdowns and checking every aisle thoroughly for newly placed yellow stickers.

Louellen also noted that it was key to watch out for the ‘best before’ dates, especially on meats and dairy.

'I have been buying discounted for years and can honestly say that I had something off only once, and I threw it away before cooking,' the mum shared.

'I'm pretty good at looking at the dates and making sure it's a day or two ahead.'

Head of Consumer Research at Finder, Graham Cooke, shared tips for shoppers on finding better value for their groceries.

'You don't need to drive all around town to save $2 on your onions, but a little goes a long way,' he said.

'Make a habit of checking the weekly half-price deals at major supermarkets so you can stock up on regular purchases when they're on sale.'

He also said that shoppers should be mindful of savings programs being offered by their local supermarkets as it could reduce the price of their groceries.

'Coles and Woolies also offer loyalty points and don't surcharge you to pay by card, so it's worth keeping in mind if the prices are nearly the same,' he explained.

Below are other budgeting tips that can help save you some dollars:

pnxJdim-F7p5NeRfVRVBfu4oLTPudu-CSpTpRaQs7Rtre040nyFlUf110maHB7pubaZpApaUqfnoBSXGfpPoT8Zzmd_yJm4n7xtKKB6ULNhkXmjIgz1VlMCmueRanV8XqZje6UzW3YwxRIYNJ92QlI4

Other shoppers also shared their tips for scoring bargains in their grocery shops.

'I find if I go to Coles in a richer suburb with a nicer store—the discounts suck. Find a poor suburb!' one shared.

'Shop in the evening for discounted items but the morning for fresh produce,' another commented.

Another mum also recommended doing less, but bigger, shops.

'I've stopped shopping every week,' the mum said.

'If you only shop every eight or nine days, that's one fewer shop each month.'

'Not only does this save you precious money you usually wouldn't even think about, but it also prompts you to [empty] your fridge, freezer and pantry before you go to the supermarket.'

In similar news, another savvy mum from Queensland scored an unbelievable grocery shopping deal and only paid $56.44—for $285.29 worth of groceries—due to discounts!

She did this by taking advantage of the markdowns section at her local supermarket.

However, she did notice that some of these items had different prices based on their expiration dates, but that didn't concern her. The mum had a brilliant plan in mind, and that was to freeze all of her purchases as soon as she got home.

At home, they had a spacious box freezer, which allowed the mum to keep all the meat products well-preserved. By doing so, she could defrost only the portions she needed, effectively reducing food waste and cutting down on her future expenses.

She was thrilled with this practical approach that not only saved money but also ensured she could enjoy a variety of delicious meat whenever she wanted.

You can read more about this mum’s incredible haul here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne-based woman named Louellen managed to save more than $140 on her grocery bill by making use of markdowns at her local Coles supermarket.
  • She scored a stunning deal of 2.2kg of chicken for $1.44 and also purchased various discounted meat products, such as mild sopressa salami and roast pork.
  • Louellen credits her savings to carefully looking at 'best before' dates on discounted products and regularly checking for new yellow stickers in every aisle.
  • Graham Cooke of Finder shared tips to shop more economically, suggesting customers be aware of savings programs offered by supermarkets and regularly checking weekly half-price deals.
Members, have you seen similar marked-down items in your supermarket? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
With the cost of living rising, many Australian families are struggling to keep up with basic expenses like groceries.

However, one savvy Melbourne mum has shown how she manages to slash her grocery bills.

Louellen was thrilled after her recent trip to Coles scored her family some incredible savings.

Her haul included 2.2kg of chicken breast for only $1.44, mild sopressa salami for 47c (down from its original price of $7.50), smoked chilli chicken for 98c (down from $19.71), and roast pork for 43c (down from $8.70).

View attachment 32810
A savvy mum shared her markdown buys from her recent trip to Coles. Image source: Facebook.

'I hit the jackpot today,' Louellen said on social media.

Uploading a photo alongside her post, she continued: 'The top row is containers of cubed chicken breast, 2.2kg for $1.44! And heaps of trays of deli meat like roast pork, ham, and salami.'

She credits her success to keeping an eagle eye out for markdowns and checking every aisle thoroughly for newly placed yellow stickers.

Louellen also noted that it was key to watch out for the ‘best before’ dates, especially on meats and dairy.

'I have been buying discounted for years and can honestly say that I had something off only once, and I threw it away before cooking,' the mum shared.

'I'm pretty good at looking at the dates and making sure it's a day or two ahead.'

Head of Consumer Research at Finder, Graham Cooke, shared tips for shoppers on finding better value for their groceries.

'You don't need to drive all around town to save $2 on your onions, but a little goes a long way,' he said.

'Make a habit of checking the weekly half-price deals at major supermarkets so you can stock up on regular purchases when they're on sale.'

He also said that shoppers should be mindful of savings programs being offered by their local supermarkets as it could reduce the price of their groceries.

'Coles and Woolies also offer loyalty points and don't surcharge you to pay by card, so it's worth keeping in mind if the prices are nearly the same,' he explained.

Below are other budgeting tips that can help save you some dollars:

pnxJdim-F7p5NeRfVRVBfu4oLTPudu-CSpTpRaQs7Rtre040nyFlUf110maHB7pubaZpApaUqfnoBSXGfpPoT8Zzmd_yJm4n7xtKKB6ULNhkXmjIgz1VlMCmueRanV8XqZje6UzW3YwxRIYNJ92QlI4

Other shoppers also shared their tips for scoring bargains in their grocery shops.

'I find if I go to Coles in a richer suburb with a nicer store—the discounts suck. Find a poor suburb!' one shared.

'Shop in the evening for discounted items but the morning for fresh produce,' another commented.

Another mum also recommended doing less, but bigger, shops.

'I've stopped shopping every week,' the mum said.

'If you only shop every eight or nine days, that's one fewer shop each month.'

'Not only does this save you precious money you usually wouldn't even think about, but it also prompts you to [empty] your fridge, freezer and pantry before you go to the supermarket.'

In similar news, another savvy mum from Queensland scored an unbelievable grocery shopping deal and only paid $56.44—for $285.29 worth of groceries—due to discounts!

She did this by taking advantage of the markdowns section at her local supermarket.

However, she did notice that some of these items had different prices based on their expiration dates, but that didn't concern her. The mum had a brilliant plan in mind, and that was to freeze all of her purchases as soon as she got home.

At home, they had a spacious box freezer, which allowed the mum to keep all the meat products well-preserved. By doing so, she could defrost only the portions she needed, effectively reducing food waste and cutting down on her future expenses.

She was thrilled with this practical approach that not only saved money but also ensured she could enjoy a variety of delicious meat whenever she wanted.

You can read more about this mum’s incredible haul here.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne-based woman named Louellen managed to save more than $140 on her grocery bill by making use of markdowns at her local Coles supermarket.
  • She scored a stunning deal of 2.2kg of chicken for $1.44 and also purchased various discounted meat products, such as mild sopressa salami and roast pork.
  • Louellen credits her savings to carefully looking at 'best before' dates on discounted products and regularly checking for new yellow stickers in every aisle.
  • Graham Cooke of Finder shared tips to shop more economically, suggesting customers be aware of savings programs offered by supermarkets and regularly checking weekly half-price deals.
Members, have you seen similar marked-down items in your supermarket? Share them with us in the comments below!
I’m sorry but am so fed up with these articles!!! We all have our ways of saving and don’t need some person giving advice on things we already know!!!

It is always great when you see something marked down, but you have to also take a good look at the meat, if there is a lot of blood in there not good, if it has a tinge of discolour again not good. Sometimes the savings are not always worth it. But if that is your thing enjoy the savings, I get mine by getting more non perishable items like household cleaning products, sauces and can food. Each to their own

I’m sorry but am so fed up with these articles!!! We all have our ways of saving and don’t need some person giving advice on things we already know!!!
Greedy bitch just emptied the shelves and left nothing for people who could do with cheaper food. Shame on her😤🤬

Hope she has a big freezer or shares the purchases with others who are struggling.
Share🙀your funny I doubt it🤬she’s just selfish taking all that cheap food and bragging online. No respect for people who are struggling👎

Reactions: Lotty
Make your own compost and grow your own basic healthy vegies ie lettuce, tomatoes , rocket, spinach etc and herbs ( herbs cost approx $1 per stem in a pkt ie in WA ) grow fruit tree instead of trendy flowerless gardens if you have the space especially a lemon tree ( approx $2 each average in WA ) if you have too much fruit for yourself share -put them in a box FOR FREE HELP YOURSELF

Make your own compost and grow your own basic healthy vegies ie lettuce, tomatoes , rocket, spinach etc and herbs ( herbs cost approx $1 per stem in a pkt ie in WA ) grow fruit tree instead of trendy flowerless gardens if you have the space especially a lemon tree ( approx $2 each average in WA ) if you have too much fruit for yourself share -put them in a box FOR FREE HELP YOURSELF
I do that with my 🍋