Mum reveals 45 cent SECRET INGREDIENT to elevate your roast potatoes

When it comes to preparing the perfect roast potatoes, everyone seems to be conflicted about which method to use when cooking them.

Some professional chefs suggest roasting potatoes in the oven while others suggest frying could make them achieve the "crispy on the outside, soft on the inside" texture.

However, one Aussie mum has taken social media by storm after revealing a simple trick to elevate this delicious meal.

Sharing the recipe on the Mums Who Clean Facebook page, Vicki revealed that the secret to making mouth-watering roast potatoes is a dry French Onion soup mix.

AIUuQYmoExIMj2gMLqetNfvedpNEyOCncnmelA6g-fryh_i8biJFtVvWk-SE0EZ3coj0oi_WnwLBkDj3VPuu93Exn2SisZg7A6l0ZLuI3dqRRRrEh7ZpLCdPfA19LqTC1Hp1KV0

An Aussie mum said that using dry French Onion soup mix can elevate the flavour of your roast potatoes. Credit: Getty Images.

You read that right, folks! Apparently, the flavour of the soup mix improves the taste of the potatoes, giving them an extra kick.

So, how does Vicki prepare her potatoes?

The mum explained: “When doing roast spuds, peel, cut and place in a baking dish then …. get French Onion dry soup mix and sprinkle over top of spuds. Then sprinkle your oil over that and bake. It’s the only way I do roast spuds now.”

You may use any brand of French onion soup mix you have at hand — or purchase some at Woolworths for $1.05 and $0.45 at Coles — to try this simple trick.

Also, we recommend mixing (pun intended) this hack with the other roast spud recipes that we previously shared!

1. Air fried roast potatoes

This recipe, shared by Canadian food blogger @nutrientmatters, is a hassle-free method of preparing this irresistible meal.

Credit: TikTok/@nutrientmatters

Ingredients:
  • 4 white potatoes
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • 3 tbsp avocado oil

Method:

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before air frying.
3. Set your air fryer at 190 °C and fry the potatoes for 10-15 minutes.
4. Serve with spicy mayo and green onions.

Source: TikTok/@nutrientmatters

2. Fried crispy “roast” potatoes

0sPPMANPjCK9GdDqXqnLDRJffha_5XsEBnnYegrxxHffGUUT_1T2m_aZp1fp2hC6pStcQGxINl3W43nWjZDC4J0Z1Ts4ANV3_CD6UvQgcyFxlIj3Hk_HvR6DAN9M6mC1C5282Go

Credit: Susy Massetti

Celebrity chef Susy Massetti suggested pan-frying the spuds to give them the perfect texture.

Ingredients:
  • 600g Potatoes cut into 2-inch cubes (skin on)
  • 2 spring of fresh Rosemary
  • 6 to 8 fresh Sage leaves
  • 8 Garlic cloves
  • 1/3 of a cup of Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt & black pepper to taste

Method:

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 tbs of salt.
2. Add potato cubes and cook for 8 minutes and when ready drain well.
3. Slice garlic, not too thin.
4. Chop the herbs and mix them with garlic, a teaspoon of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
5. Add the garlic & herbs mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
6. Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a sauté pan (big enough to contain all the potatoes in one layer).
7. Put the potatoes in the pan in one layer.
8. Let it 'fry' for 6 or 8 minutes and check the colour when golden, turn them.
9. If necessary, increase the heat but make sure the garlic is not burning.
10. Let them cook for another 8 or so minutes till golden and crispy.

Source: Susy Massetti

Are you looking forward to trying this recipe and/or have you got your own ‘secret weapon’ when it comes to amazing potatoes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yuk! I absolutely hate French Onion Soup mix. Not to mention it's full of preservatives and rubbish. I've always baked my potatoes in the oven under the roast which I put on a trivet in the baking dish no matter what it is (chicken to pork). Potatoes bake crispy if you parboil them first then roll them around in some oil before you put them in the bottom of the baking dish. I roast pumpkin, parsnip, turnip, onion and carrot the same way. My family just love crispy roast veggies.

Yes parboil them first, but while we were in Italy a chef who taught me how to cook pasta and sauce also showed me when parboiling potatoes add a cup of apple cider to the water plus a little salt or not, magic taste to potatoes whether boiled or roasted

• Love
Reactions: Ricci