Mum receives mixed reactions over her child’s packed lunch: “Looks perfectly fine to me”

In a popular Facebook group, one mum decided to share a photo of her child’s packed lunch for the day, which was served in an ALDI lunch box and container. Seems innocent enough right?

The meal included some biscuits with Vegemite, yoghurt, a box of popcorn, some grapes and pickled onions, and a ham-and-mayo sandwich. Still nothing wrong there eh?

However, the mum never expected the reactions that would follow from what is supposed to be an innocent post about her kid’s meal.

plocgdPA-qloVLRT59dy0kHqVoF4t5VS4vN3XAEaQ6eBQWR1hCmGT-0Ji8ZCrZ1odbDuzCipPYaq_ZGAQTt0CuvPbFySQs3L1-uBSpvjv00F_uWu6mV54j2rMIGQh8gYp0PieGpT

One mum’s photo of her kid’s lunchbox prompted a lot of discussions in a Facebook group. Credit: Facebook.

Some members pointed out that having her kid bring a ham sandwich to school, in the middle of the unusually intense summer heat, would cause the meat to spoil and potentially cause food poisoning.

One mum complained: “Never gave my children meat on their school lunches in the summer heat. Even if you put an ice brick in their lunch box it soon gets hot.”

She added that since the classrooms don’t have a fridge for the children to keep their lunch in, their food may go bad because of the heat.

“They won’t get sick if they go without just one food item, but could get food poisoning from meat that has gone off. Plenty of other food items you can use as a substitute,” she said.

However, the mum’s comment also received a wave of backlash from fellow group members, most of them saying that bringing meat in lunchboxes is perfectly fine.

One member replied: “You look like you are from almost the same era as me. Bags hung outside the class all day. The only thing keeping our lunches cool was a frozen drink bottle and we all survived without food poisoning.”

Another mum added: “You are being rude. The lunches stay cold these days with ice bricks being better than they were even five years ago. My kid’s lunch comes home still cold every day.”

“I had ham sandwiches at school when I was a kid, not ice bricks, I lived to tell the tale,” wrote a third.

In another part of the comments section, people were arguing over a different topic – the ham and mayonnaise combination on the sandwich.

“Mayo on ham?!! Ew,” wrote one person, which was then flooded with replies.

“Soooooo rude,” said one mum, while another agreed and added: “Used to be one of my favourite combos as a kid. Calling someone else’s lunch ewww? Ewww.”

Meanwhile, the people who decided to stay out of either argument instead complimented the mum for a job well done in giving her kid a well-balanced meal.

“Please don’t feel you have to justify yourself to the food police, they are rather ignorant - a healthy diet is about being able to have everything in moderation,” one mum commented.

A second mum took a jab at the commenters and said: “Do people still actually judge others on what they pack for their child's lunch? Wow. Sadly, some children still get sent to school with NO food. PS: this lunch looks perfectly fine to me.”

Lots of fuss over the kid’s school lunchbox! What do you think, is it safe to bring cooked meat to school during the summer, or not?

And if you’re looking for more lunchbox ideas for the grandkids, check out this video below of a QLD mum preparing her kid’s school lunchbox. The heart-shaped sandwiches are a very cute touch!

Credit: Ash Jackson.

Sponsored
Mum receives mixed reactions over her child’s packed lunch: “Looks perfectly fine to me”

In a popular Facebook group, one mum decided to share a photo of her child’s packed lunch for the day, which was served in an ALDI lunch box and container. Seems innocent enough right?

The meal included some biscuits with Vegemite, yoghurt, a box of popcorn, some grapes and pickled onions, and a ham-and-mayo sandwich. Still nothing wrong there eh?

However, the mum never expected the reactions that would follow from what is supposed to be an innocent post about her kid’s meal.

plocgdPA-qloVLRT59dy0kHqVoF4t5VS4vN3XAEaQ6eBQWR1hCmGT-0Ji8ZCrZ1odbDuzCipPYaq_ZGAQTt0CuvPbFySQs3L1-uBSpvjv00F_uWu6mV54j2rMIGQh8gYp0PieGpT

One mum’s photo of her kid’s lunchbox prompted a lot of discussions in a Facebook group. Credit: Facebook.

Some members pointed out that having her kid bring a ham sandwich to school, in the middle of the unusually intense summer heat, would cause the meat to spoil and potentially cause food poisoning.

One mum complained: “Never gave my children meat on their school lunches in the summer heat. Even if you put an ice brick in their lunch box it soon gets hot.”

She added that since the classrooms don’t have a fridge for the children to keep their lunch in, their food may go bad because of the heat.

“They won’t get sick if they go without just one food item, but could get food poisoning from meat that has gone off. Plenty of other food items you can use as a substitute,” she said.

However, the mum’s comment also received a wave of backlash from fellow group members, most of them saying that bringing meat in lunchboxes is perfectly fine.

One member replied: “You look like you are from almost the same era as me. Bags hung outside the class all day. The only thing keeping our lunches cool was a frozen drink bottle and we all survived without food poisoning.”

Another mum added: “You are being rude. The lunches stay cold these days with ice bricks being better than they were even five years ago. My kid’s lunch comes home still cold every day.”

“I had ham sandwiches at school when I was a kid, not ice bricks, I lived to tell the tale,” wrote a third.

In another part of the comments section, people were arguing over a different topic – the ham and mayonnaise combination on the sandwich.

“Soooooo rude,” said one mum, while another agreed and added: “Used to be one of my favourite combos as a kid. Calling someone else’s lunch ewww? Ewww.”

Meanwhile, the people who decided to stay out of either argument instead complimented the mum for a job well done in giving her kid a well-balanced meal.

“Please don’t feel you have to justify yourself to the food police, they are rather ignorant - a healthy diet is about being able to have everything in moderation,” one mum commented.

A second mum took a jab at the commenters and said: “Do people still actually judge others on what they pack for their child's lunch? Wow. Sadly, some children still get sent to school with NO food. PS: this lunch looks perfectly fine to me.”

Lots of fuss over the kid’s school lunchbox! What do you think, is it safe to bring cooked meat to school during the summer, or not?

And if you’re looking for more lunchbox ideas for the grandkids, check out this video below of a QLD mum preparing her kid’s school lunchbox. The heart-shaped sandwiches are a very cute touch!

Why do people post personal matters on facebook and then claim to be offended when someone responds with a different point of view?
"Social" media is unhealthy. Best stay away from it.

Why do people post personal matters on facebook and then claim to be offended when someone responds with a different point of view?
You are absolutely right. People and schools are getting ridiculous when it comes to school lunches.
Our twin sons made their own lunches throughout high school one had Vegemite and the other only had crushed garlic on he’s sandwich.
I used to tease him, and say he would never get a girl friend with garlic breath. Well the boys are 43, happily married have children and quite healthy.
If you grew up having warm milk at little play, eating a ham sandwich on a hot day would be a breeze.😂😂🤣🤣🤪🤪

do you all know that a sandwich actually preserves its filling...so all you fragile parents of this day and age...wake up and stop babying your kids, let them live and protect them as much as possible....perhaps parents of today should get off their phones and laptops...stop working to pay the housecleaner and gardener and stay home to teach their kids what life is about...family

This just goes to show how far Australia is going down the gurgler. What a load of crap. If someone cannot express their own ideas without being vilified by all the Dudley Do-Rights for it then it's a sad world.
If you don't agree then just let it go.
"When I was a boy" and during my whole school life, guess what I had on my sandwiches? Ham, ham, ham, and more Ham. This was changed sometimes to devon, devon, devon, and more devon. Then to ham and cheese or devon and cheese. All carried and stored in a small leather backpack that was left outside the classroom on a hook. Icepacks weren't even on the horizion. The only time my body was affected by food was at little Johnnies birthday party and that wasn't the fault of off food. Get a grip!

Another great example of the social media disease. It's detrimental, judgemental and down right damaging to people's self-esteem and well-being. Get off social media you idiots and get a life!

You are absolutely right. People and schools are getting ridiculous when it comes to school lunches.
Our twin sons made their own lunches throughout high school one had Vegemite and the other only had crushed garlic on he’s sandwich.
I used to tease him, and say he would never get a girl friend with garlic breath. Well the boys are 43, happily married have children and quite healthy.
If you grew up having warm milk at little play, eating a ham sandwich on a hot day would be a breeze.😂😂🤣🤣🤪🤪
As a member of the warm milk brigade and meat sandwiches and my kids also meat and cheese sandwiches in WA heat, up to 45 degrees with only a frozen drink bottle to keep their lunches cold we all survived too, never got sick, good luck or just tough kids, we will never know...LOL

Great looking lunch

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci

I am a relief teacher who goes to many state primary schools in Hobart and all of them have a fridge - either in their own classroom or in the classroom next door!

Reactions: Julia TH
But...THIS is Social Media.o_O

Reactions: Gaena
Another great example of the social media disease. It's detrimental, judgemental and down right damaging to people's self-esteem and well-being. Get off social media you idiots and get a life!
This that we are on is a form of Social Media. It's not the format it IS the people on it.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena
do you all know that a sandwich actually preserves its filling...so all you fragile parents of this day and age...wake up and stop babying your kids, let them live and protect them as much as possible....perhaps parents of today should get off their phones and laptops...stop working to pay the housecleaner and gardener and stay home to teach their kids what life is about...family
Nice of you to lump every 'parent of today' into one box!