Mum-of-two says it's not "selfish" to bulk-buy marked-down groceries: "They are wise"

Social media has been abuzz in recent weeks about customers who have started bulk-buying large quantities of marked-down goods in an effort to reduce their grocery bills in the face of skyrocketing living expenses.

In Facebook groups that, ironically, were made for the self-described "Markdown Addicts" of Australia, these shoppers have been accused of "hogging" the discounted items and criticised for their allegedly "rude," "greedy," and "selfish" behaviour.

In response to a Woolworths customer who claimed to have purchased "every single packet" of heavily discounted fish at her neighbourhood store, one user wrote the following, "Yes, that's a good deal, but wouldn't it be nice to leave some for someone else?"

A second member of the popular Facebook group for bargain hunters chimed in and added, "I couldn't agree more. Greed seems to take over."

"Putting a few packets back could have fed another family for the night, but no one thinks of others these days."

o81idZcpesiWs2t5xKgI6TaPVcbTv1V8FNTxUBWr553k7Q5Uh6IEn4Wd-qNWN-MqszORLpQtk9HrXfKLmogusRfB4iFIXE_ilPt65ARuzPQmfxtb03eArSdbDJAeM-VS34gGtnSpVZceg-Mefw

Bulk purchases of marked-down goods by some customers have drawn criticism on social media. Credit: Facebook.

Wendy Gower is an Aussie mum-of-two who runs a blog (and an accompanying Facebook page) called My Abundant Life – an online platform where she freely posts recipes for a low price as well as advice on crafts, cleaning, and frugal living.

In an interview with an online news publication, she has expressed her opinion on the subject matter and pointed out that shoppers should not be chastised for taking advantage of markdown deals when they are available.

"They are wise for looking after their family and budget," she went on to add.

When asked if she was a "budget shopper," Ms Gower responded that she has always been one due to her many years of living well below the government's definition of ‘low income’, unlike many other Aussies.

"Since we lived on a budget, we were able to pay off our mortgage and buy a new car in five years," she said.

To keep their grocery bills low, Ms Gower and her family have a habit of:
  • Keeping a healthy stockpile
  • Cooking all meals from scratch
  • Baking biscuits, muffins, cakes, and other treats (even their own bread!)
  • Growing some fruit and veggies in their backyard
  • Eating seasonal produce
  • Buying the ingredients themselves
  • Buying generic brands
  • Looking and watching out for meat markdowns
According to Ms Gower, who launched her blog in July 2014, her family's meals don't focus primarily on meat but rather on a variety of fresh plants and vegetables.

"Our meals are tasty, simple, and filling. I often bulk-cook and all leftovers are frozen for future meals," the thrifty mum said.

Ms Gower is and has always been a strong supporter of the practice of buying in bulk.

She said that keeping a well-stocked pantry and buying items in bulk when they are on sale are great ways to make sure you have enough food on hand in case of an emergency, such as a sudden illness.

5xxGUoW-miaTuH6NRjt3ZuaEwpgmapNB3s7AkJj67RAmpPpH22w_VYwnsM9ZA8CpmLclN2ofm2WJvz_wqDcWJqT6mM1Mjf2xcHhkVUwQPC2CBB0MjxWut7gwPA3x6i8YxlKRapfuMZGNVo-oqg

My Abundant Life's Wendy Gower offers practical advice on frugal living along with recipes that are affordable. Credit: Facebook.

She noted, however, that shoppers should use "some caution" despite how convenient bulk buying might be.

"No matter how inexpensive or attractive the items are, if you don't use them frequently or the family doesn't like them, it's a waste of money," Ms Gower said.

"You should really know your prices. It may not be the cheapest price simply because it is on sale or in a larger box/tin. Be cautious about the size of your bulk purchase. It must be consumed within a reasonable time frame or else it will go to waste."

She also highlighted the importance of being mindful of what you buy and use. "Household purchases are planned and saved for. Lists are written for grocery shopping. Food is not wasted," Ms Gower said.

"In our house, we adhere to the two-light rule. I make all of my own cleaning products. We prefer to spend time at home than on expensive entertainment. Gifts are bought all year round when they are on sale."

You heard it from her, folks! Do you have some more frugal-living tips to share with the rest of us? Let us know in the comments below!

Watch the video below to find out more information about grocery store bulk food purchases.

Credit: Homesteading Family.

Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Social media has been abuzz in recent weeks about customers who have started bulk-buying large quantities of marked-down goods in an effort to reduce their grocery bills in the face of skyrocketing living expenses.

In Facebook groups that, ironically, were made for the self-described "Markdown Addicts" of Australia, these shoppers have been accused of "hogging" the discounted items and criticised for their allegedly "rude," "greedy," and "selfish" behaviour.

In response to a Woolworths customer who claimed to have purchased "every single packet" of heavily discounted fish at her neighbourhood store, one user wrote the following, "Yes, that's a good deal, but wouldn't it be nice to leave some for someone else?"

A second member of the popular Facebook group for bargain hunters chimed in and added, "I couldn't agree more. Greed seems to take over."

"Putting a few packets back could have fed another family for the night, but no one thinks of others these days."

o81idZcpesiWs2t5xKgI6TaPVcbTv1V8FNTxUBWr553k7Q5Uh6IEn4Wd-qNWN-MqszORLpQtk9HrXfKLmogusRfB4iFIXE_ilPt65ARuzPQmfxtb03eArSdbDJAeM-VS34gGtnSpVZceg-Mefw

Bulk purchases of marked-down goods by some customers have drawn criticism on social media. Credit: Facebook.

Wendy Gower is an Aussie mum-of-two who runs a blog (and an accompanying Facebook page) called My Abundant Life – an online platform where she freely posts recipes for a low price as well as advice on crafts, cleaning, and frugal living.

In an interview with an online news publication, she has expressed her opinion on the subject matter and pointed out that shoppers should not be chastised for taking advantage of markdown deals when they are available.

"They are wise for looking after their family and budget," she went on to add.

When asked if she was a "budget shopper," Ms Gower responded that she has always been one due to her many years of living well below the government's definition of ‘low income’, unlike many other Aussies.

"Since we lived on a budget, we were able to pay off our mortgage and buy a new car in five years," she said.

To keep their grocery bills low, Ms Gower and her family have a habit of:
  • Keeping a healthy stockpile
  • Cooking all meals from scratch
  • Baking biscuits, muffins, cakes, and other treats (even their own bread!)
  • Growing some fruit and veggies in their backyard
  • Eating seasonal produce
  • Buying the ingredients themselves
  • Buying generic brands
  • Looking and watching out for meat markdowns
According to Ms Gower, who launched her blog in July 2014, her family's meals don't focus primarily on meat but rather on a variety of fresh plants and vegetables.

"Our meals are tasty, simple, and filling. I often bulk-cook and all leftovers are frozen for future meals," the thrifty mum said.

Ms Gower is and has always been a strong supporter of the practice of buying in bulk.

She said that keeping a well-stocked pantry and buying items in bulk when they are on sale are great ways to make sure you have enough food on hand in case of an emergency, such as a sudden illness.

5xxGUoW-miaTuH6NRjt3ZuaEwpgmapNB3s7AkJj67RAmpPpH22w_VYwnsM9ZA8CpmLclN2ofm2WJvz_wqDcWJqT6mM1Mjf2xcHhkVUwQPC2CBB0MjxWut7gwPA3x6i8YxlKRapfuMZGNVo-oqg

My Abundant Life's Wendy Gower offers practical advice on frugal living along with recipes that are affordable. Credit: Facebook.

She noted, however, that shoppers should use "some caution" despite how convenient bulk buying might be.

"No matter how inexpensive or attractive the items are, if you don't use them frequently or the family doesn't like them, it's a waste of money," Ms Gower said.

"You should really know your prices. It may not be the cheapest price simply because it is on sale or in a larger box/tin. Be cautious about the size of your bulk purchase. It must be consumed within a reasonable time frame or else it will go to waste."

She also highlighted the importance of being mindful of what you buy and use. "Household purchases are planned and saved for. Lists are written for grocery shopping. Food is not wasted," Ms Gower said.

"In our house, we adhere to the two-light rule. I make all of my own cleaning products. We prefer to spend time at home than on expensive entertainment. Gifts are bought all year round when they are on sale."

You heard it from her, folks! Do you have some more frugal-living tips to share with the rest of us? Let us know in the comments below!

Watch the video below to find out more information about grocery store bulk food purchases.

Credit: Homesteading Family.

Well Ms Gower may believe she’s the all knowing guru of being frugal, good on her!! No one is denying how hard it is these days to manage with prices as they are BUT those people who buy ALL the available marked down good are being very, very greedy & unfair. Take a few sure but consider that you’re not the only person trying to manage on a limited budget!!! If we’re all a bit thoughtful of others then more people can benefit!!

It amazes me that these bulk buyers who take every single sale item off a shelf and leave nothing for anyone else can even live with themselves. They are so selfish and inconsiderate. I believe the stores should set a limit per customer on the number os sale items they can have.

I read this and think that while this lady has a very good plan for her family's food etc. it goes against the 'Fair Go' ethos that Australians are usually known for. I think it's pretty selfish to take everything on the shelf leaving none for others.

So what exactly is 'the one thing' the critics of the selfish people are ignoring ???

When that woman says 'shoppers should not be chastised for taking advantage of markdown deals when they are available' she actually offers no excuse for the selfishness at all. Is she saying other people should be happy for her - and not want such bargains themselves - simply because she's doing such a great job looking after her own family & budget that she's able to boast about paying off her mortgage & buying a new car in 5 years?? I think she entirely misses the point that other people would like the same opportunity to get bargains so anyone being overly greedy is just selfish & thoughtless. No one should hog the lot - no matter what they think theyre entitled to! Sadly, I think the supermarkets will have to bring in quantity restrictions to stop such selfishness.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Hey, to the complainers who think stuff should be 'left' for others...the store wants to get rid of stuff quick when they mark down. The quicker, the better. Too many times marked down items have been ultimately thrown in the bin because they were bypassed by shoppers. If someone wants to get some deals and happens to see them on display, who are you to tell them they can't? Seriously, it's a bit precious for you to think you have the right to dictate to others what they buy. The store wants them to buy, they want to buy. It's all ok. If the store wants to enforce limits, that's THEIR prerogative...Not yours. Time for the whingers to mind their own business. Me thinks you're bitter because you wanted to buy all the deals yourself but you were too slow. That's life 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Ok that was alot of markdown items.
I would take only what I needed and not everything...unless I was giving it to others . when food items are markdown usually it is closely approaching expiry.
Taking everything is actually selfish!

So what exactly is 'the one thing' the critics of the selfish people are ignoring ???

When that woman says 'shoppers should not be chastised for taking advantage of markdown deals when they are available' she actually offers no excuse for the selfishness at all. Is she saying other people should be happy for her - and not want such bargains themselves - simply because she's doing such a great job looking after her own family & budget that she's able to boast about paying off her mortgage & buying a new car in 5 years?? I think she entirely misses the point that other people would like the same opportunity to get bargains so anyone being overly greedy is just selfish & thoughtless. No one should hog the lot - no matter what they think theyre entitled to! Sadly, I think the supermarkets will have to bring in quantity restrictions to stop such selfishness.
I read this and think that while this lady has a very good plan for her family's food etc. it goes against the 'Fair Go' ethos that Australians are usually known for. I think it's pretty selfish to take everything on the shelf leaving none for others.
It is possible she was buying for friends or other family members on a limited income with children as well I don’t see that the woman who took all specials has done anything wrong nobody knows the circumstances

Reactions: Suzanne rose