Mum’s chilling account of heating mishap: ‘I’m terrified that someone’s child will be seriously injured’

In a chilling case that highlights potential dangers lurking in everyday household items, a mum-of-three sounded the alarm after an incident involving a seemingly innocent purchase from Kmart.

The mum’s harrowing experience underscores the importance of product safety and raises concerns about the potential risks posed by common items, especially as families gear up for winter.

Ashlee was looking for a cost-effective way to keep her children warm during the chilly winter months.

She decided to purchase an Anko brand Sherpa Heated Throw ($39) from Kmart.

The day after the throw arrived, Ashlee used the blanket without any issues.

She said, ‘I loved it and taught the kids how to use it safely from the start.’

heated throw.png

A mum of three purchased the Anko brand Sherpa Heated Throw ($39) from Kmart and experienced a terrifying malfunction. Image Source: Kmart

The next day, Isla, her five-year-old daughter, wanted to use it while cuddling on the couch.

Isla's older brother turned on the power on the wall, and moments later, the little girl flicked the switch button on the cord—that's when disaster happened.

‘I was walking out of the lounge area towards my room and I heard a bang then Isla scream and cry like she was terrified,’ Ashlee recounted.

‘Her brothers were freaking out, saying they saw sparks and that something had blown up.’

Ashlee could not comprehend what she witnessed as she hurried to her daughter’s side.

‘The control switch was burnt and black and Isla’s sleeve had a burn mark on it,’ she narrated.

‘Thankfully, her hand was okay. The sparks flicked up onto her sleeve, so she must have let go just in time. She was very, very lucky.’

The heated blanket, plugged directly into a wall outlet and not yet turned on when Isla requested to use it, caused the home’s electricity to trip when it malfunctioned.

‘We followed all the right safety rules and this still happened,’ Ashlee said.

Shockingly, this wasn't Ashlee's first unsettling encounter with Anko products.

She said, ‘Last year, I bought a hand mixer and two weeks later, it blew up in one of my older child’s hands while they were helping me make icing for a birthday cake.’

‘There was smoke and sparks. Luckily, they weren’t hurt. I replaced it with another one, thinking it was just faulty. But within a couple of minutes of using the second one, it happened again in my hands.’

‘I wasn’t going to risk it happening to one of the kids again,’ she added.

These experiences left Ashlee with a deep mistrust of the brand and a difficult decision to make between replacing the heated throw with another product or dealing with an electricity bill she could not manage.

She said, ‘It was the first time I’d ever bought an electric blanket of any kind because I’m very cautious, but I only did it because of power prices going up so much.’

‘Everyone said this was the best and cheapest option to help us all keep warm first thing in the morning and at night.’

She added, ‘I’m considering getting another brand of heated throw, but I’m terrified.’

On April 24, Ashlee reached out to Kmart via social media and email, hoping to alert the retailer to the potential danger posed by the heated throw.

The company responded, expressed concern for her daughter, and stated that they have been trying to reach Ashlee by phone. However, she has not yet been able to return the call.

She said, ‘I was just surprised they didn’t immediately mention having the product returned or putting a warning out there.’

‘It’s horrifying because I know lots of parents are buying these for their kids’ bedrooms, and I can’t imagine how dangerous that could potentially be if this happened.’

‘I’m terrified that someone’s child will be seriously injured or a house will catch fire. These things need to be tested more than they already are. It could have been so much worse for us,’ she added.

Kmart has yet to give an official comment on the incident.

This isn't the first time Kmart's Anko brand has been scrutinised for the quality of its products and their compliance with safety standards.

Recently, the brand was forced to recall a product due to non-compliance with an important safety standard. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Ashlee, a mum of three, warned other shoppers after the Anko brand Sherpa Heated Throw ($39) from Kmart had ‘blown up’ in her daughter's hands.
  • The incident occurred the day after the heated throw was purchased, and it tripped the house's electricity supply.
  • The mum had previously experienced issues with Anko products, including a hand mixer that also blew up.
  • Kmart responded to the incident, expressing concern, but had not arranged for the product to be returned or issued a warning when the mum reported the issue.
Have you or someone you know had a similar experience with a heated throw or other electrical appliance? Do you have any tips you can share to help prevent incidents like this? Share your stories and your advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
So my question..why hasn't this woman phoned them back?....Secondly she wanted to know why they didn't want the product returned or a warning...well DUH....they have to be sure to have proof not just take her word for it...geez lady ring the damn company and DO THE RIGHT THING!

Last edited:
Didn't have the time to return KMarts call but had the time to first put this out there on the the Web!!! Would have been better to get her priorities right and be in a position to include the actions of KMart to address the problem.

With products like heated blankets, that I have to say is a godsend to an elderly lady, I buy middle of the road pricing or I have bought a higher quality brand on special. These are chances we take with any kind of electrical product I guess.

The first thing Ashlee should have done was take the blanket back to the Kmart she purchased it from. This would have had a better result than taking to social media and sending an email to complain but then ignoring the calls from Kmart. Was she expecting a house call from the CEO?

l heard Anko products are not very good. The poor girl could have been electrocuted . l hope all of you using electric blankets remember to turn them off before you go to sleep.

Here's an idea - just get the child to put on a dressing gown or better yet hurry up and get dressed! I cannot understand why we have to have electric throws/heaters turned on when you get out of bed in the morning! If they want to snuggle up on the couch for TV etc, put a normal non-eclectic throw on their shoulders. Better for them and also your power bill.

Reactions: Lisa and SandyM
Garbage made in China, WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU BUY CRAP LIKE THAT. Teach your kids to put a jumper on or just get a blanket and put that over you, NO DANGER EVER.

Reactions: Lisa