Morning show presenter flees set after spicy predicament: 'It kind of stings'

In the world of morning television, hosts often engage in light-hearted challenges and stunts to entertain their viewers.

Sometimes, these segments could take an unexpected turn, leaving both the audience and the hosts in a state of shock.

This was precisely the case for Sunrise host Matt Shirvington, who found himself over his head after accepting a fiery challenge on set.

The incident unfolded live when Dominic Lapham, the newly crowned Australian National Chilli Champion, appeared on the show to talk about his recent victory in Sawtell.

Lapham will travel to the United States for the World Chilli Eating Competition in October.

With his reputation for trying anything, Shirvo took the opportunity to test his spice tolerance against the chilli-eating pro.

compressed-shirvo.jpeg
Matt Shirvington is popular for taking on challenges and new things onscreen. Image Credit: Instagram/Matt Shirvington

The challenge began innocently enough as Shirvo drank a shot glass of hot sauce, which he initially described as 'tangy, spicy, and pretty hot'.

However, the heat quickly escalated as it 'sat right on his throat', a sensation that many chilli enthusiasts know all too well.

Undeterred, Shirvington then bravely—or perhaps recklessly—took a 'gummy', a potent chilli concoction that had the former Olympic sprinter in a coughing fit.

'It kind of stings,' Shirvo said with a strained voice as he grappled with the intense heat.

Shirvo's predicament on screen reminded Lapham about the chilli-eating contests, where competitors were often pushed to their limits.

During the championships, some competitors experienced sweating, crying, and even vomiting.

Lapham, demonstrating his fortitude worthy of a championship title, ate a chilli resembling a Tim Tam without breaking a sweat.

Based on the Scoville scale—a chart measuring the spiciness of chillies—the particular chilli he ate ranked at '11 million'.

'It is packed with absolute fire. It has some extracts of extreme chilli. It is 110 times stronger than the Carolina Reaper,' Lapham explained.
As Shirvo and his co-host Nat Barr offered their well-wishes to Lapham for his global bid for glory, the effects of the chilli challenge became all too apparent.

Now visibly affected by the heat, Shirvo disappeared from the set after the segment, leaving viewers and his colleagues wondering about his well-being.

Shirvington returned later on and joked about his chilli ordeal and his upcoming break to 'spend time with his family'.

Co-host Mark Beretta teased Shirvington about the prospect of a long drive after consuming potent chillies.

Shirvington quipped, 'That's what service stations are for,' hinting at the potential need for frequent stops along the way.

Shirvo's fiery predicament served as a cautionary tale for those tempted to test their limits.

It reminded us that even the most daring among us could be humbled by chillies.

While it might be tempting to join such challenges, it's always wise to know your limits, especially when it comes to spicy food.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Matt Shirvington took part in a chilli-eating challenge after inviting Australian National Chilli Champion Dominic Lapham to the show.
  • After consuming a shot of hot sauce and a particularly hot chilli, Shirvington had a coughing fit due to the heat intensity.
  • Dominic Lapham showcased his tolerance for heat by eating a chilli rated at '11 million' on the Scoville scale.
  • Shirvington humorously mentioned the potential consequences of his chilli intake, joking about going on a break with his family and taking multiple breaks while driving home.
Can you take on the spicy chilli challenge? If you have any spicy food stories to share, we'd love to hear about them in the comments below!

Sponsored
When my son was younger he would eat anything as spicy as you would like. I told him a number of times he would regret it. These days, in his 60s he can barely tolerate any spicy food.
I wonder if the overly spicy foods are Mother Nature’s way of trying to protect the foods from predators. ??

I wish your son well. Looks like Dad was right! 😀

I love chilli but not to that level Indian chicken Tika Masala is my favorite when in an Indian restaurant I ask for that and have to say I want it the way you would have it they always say it is pretty hot and I say that's right

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I love chilli but not to that level Indian chicken Tika Masala is my favorite when in an Indian restaurant I ask for that and have to say I want it the way you would have it they always say it is pretty hot and I say that's right
I love the flavours of Indian food, but it must be mild for me. Most people may say my tastes are too bland. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Ezzy
I don’t understand the mentality of “showing off” by eating ridiculously hot foods. Is it to show how tough they are?
🙄 Or attention seeking? ☹️
For once, they become the star of the show. All eyes are on them. Either for positive reaction or an outpour of concern. I believe its for attention.