Morning coffee could soon cost $10—discover why prices skyrocket!

We cherish our morning ritual of grabbing coffee to kickstart the day. It's a cultural staple, a moment of pleasure, and, for many, a necessary fuel.

However, the price of your daily brew could be on the rise, not just by a few cents. We're talking about the possibility of a $10 coffee, and here's why.

Richard Forbes, the chief executive of Independent Food Distributors Australia, has sounded the alarm on behalf of the 60,000 cafes, restaurants, pubs, and clubs they supply.

Over the past three years, food distributors have seen a staggering 30 per cent increase in food costs.

'We’ve all seen the price of beverages and food rise over the last two or three years,’ Mr Forbes expressed concern.

1720669839149.png
Independent Food Distributors Australia warned that Aussies might soon pay up to $10 for coffee due to increased food costs over the last three years. Credit: Shutterstock

‘That’s not going to get any better until we start doing something to rein in the costs of business,'

‘We can see it getting to a $10 cup of coffee if things don’t improve … and if things aren’t done to stabilise the cost of business.’

In addition to food, Mr Forbes noted that those in the supply chain are experiencing increases in expenses such as rent, insurance, petrol, and energy.

‘Our average members are facing energy bills of $25,000 per month – not per annum, per month,’ he continued.

‘All of those costs have to be absorbed. And at the end of the day, when you have rising energy costs, insurance, rents, fuel and labour costs in the beginning of the supply chain down to the end of it, then the people that end up paying more for their coffees, their piece of carrot cake, their meal at a restaurant, their parmigiana at a pub, are the consumers.’

Mr Forbes emphasised that cafes should not be blamed for price hikes, as they merely try to survive in an unviable operating environment.

‘They are not increasing prices because they want to make more money,’ he said.

‘They are only raising the prices of their products to survive. It is as simple as that.’

‘And if we don’t see the sort of relief that that we need, then the prices of your everyday out-of-home products is just going to continue to rise.’

Forbes urged state and federal governments to take urgent steps to improve the business operating environment.

‘The government acknowledges that small businesses, which make up 97 per cent of all businesses, are the engine room of our economy, so the government needs to follow that up with action.’ he stated.

‘We need cheaper energy, and we need it now.’

Payroll tax, in particular, is a burden that needs to be addressed to prevent the government from giving struggling businesses insufficient stop-gap measures.

‘The government needs to work with the states to understand the impact that payroll tax has on businesses. Handing a few $100 to a small business cafe or restaurant will not solve the problem.’ Forbes added.

‘Whatever you do, go and support your local cafe, your local restaurant, your local pub, get out there and try your hardest just to spend whatever you can.’

1720670172391.png
Food distributor chief Richard Forbes warned of rising costs for rent, insurance, petrol, and energy. Credit: Shutterstock

According to the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, nearly 1,600 businesses in the accommodation and food services sector went under in the past financial year.

The Australian Small Business Ombudsman's Small Business Matters 2023 report also paints a bleak picture: 43 per cent of small businesses make no profit.

Several establishments have been closed recently.

WiseGuise Pizza, established in the Launceston suburb of Mowbray in 2015, announced on social media that it could not continue due to ongoing decline.

‘It is with heavy hearts that we announce the immediate closure of our pizza stores in Burnie and Devonport,’ the management said.

‘Unfortunately due to incredibly tough economic conditions along with the rising costs of running a family business we have had to make this difficult decision.’

‘Despite all our efforts, recent times have shown a constant decline, and while the three original stores continue to perform well, the stores on the coast struggle to remain viable.’

In New South Wales, Sydney wellness brand Orchard St. stunned fans by announcing its closure last weekend, ending a decade-long run.

‘The team, our customers, the businesses we collaborate with mean everything to us. We feel like we’ve let so many people down – this was never part of our plan.’ Founder Kirsten Shanks announced.

The accommodation and food services sector is second only to the construction industry in insolvency rates.

The trend is alarming, with 1,751 insolvencies in the 11 months through May, compared to 1,127 in the same period a year ago and 713 in the previous period.
Key Takeaways
  • Independent Food Distributors Australia alerted that Aussies may soon pay up to $10 for a coffee due to a 30 per cent increase in food costs over the last three years.
  • The food distributor group's chief, Richard Forbes, warns of rising business costs, including rent, insurance, petrol, and energy.
  • Nearly 1600 hospitality businesses in Australia have closed in the past financial year as rising operational costs make many small businesses unprofitable.
  • The group calls for urgent government action to lower energy costs and tax reform whilst encouraging Australians to continue supporting local food establishments.
How are you supporting local businesses during these challenging times? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and paulamc52
Sponsored
I'm sorry but I am more interested in supporting myself, rather than the local coffee shop.
People buy coffee on the way to work every day, buy their lunch instead of taking it from home etc and then complain about the cost of living.
I don't know about these days, but when I worked in offices many years ago most businesses had kitchens or cafe bar machines where you could make your own coffee.
What happened to having your coffee at home before you leave.
I have to plead guilty to buying my lunch, but things weren't as tight in those days.
I actually did a deal with my boss. We bought a home a lot further out of the city and I was going to look for a new job as the travel expenses were too high. Luckily I was very good at my job as an executive assistant and the boss offered to cover my travel expenses and those savings covered the cost of buying my lunch, win/win.
Sorry for the coffee shops and eateries but I choose to eat at-home these days and invite friends around or go to their place for meals or coffee and cake, prices are too dear already without further increases.

I enjoy going to cafes for a coffee and sometimes a bite to eat, but the rising costs are making it more prohibitive and won’t indulge as often.

Last week I paid the most I’d ever paid for a mug of flat white, over $8! I should have looked at the price first, but it was a national chain cafe in a shopping centre so I thought the price would be comparable to other cafes. Admittedly, the almond mylk instead of cows milk cost an extra $1. Should’ve had it black like I do at home. ☕

Reactions: Penny4
I have zero sympathy for such "establishments" going under. I have stated on SDC, previously, the over the top markup of meals and beverages when compared to the materials taken to produce them. Don't make up the excuse of rental, insurance, utilities, staff wages and sundry expenses causing price of a simple meal costing over ten times that of the raw materials.

While shopping in Perth's northeastern suburbs yesterday, I checked the prices in an ordinary cafe at lunchtime. A PLAIN hamburger where you get one dollar change from $30? No wonder the only people present were the two staff!

As for the "time poor reason" for dining out incessantly, most SDC members would have more than ample time to prepare a decent and probably more nutritious meal. I doubt many of us work 50 plus hours a week.

Just after a story that tells us how much we lose in overseas transactions, yet those that grab a coffee each day spend ten times the amount on something they can make themselves. We never bought a coffee in the run, just shows the mentality of those that think easy come easy go

I enjoy going to cafes for a coffee and sometimes a bite to eat, but the rising costs are making it more prohibitive and won’t indulge as often.

Last week I paid the most I’d ever paid for a mug of flat white, over $8! I should have looked at the price first, but it was a national chain cafe in a shopping centre so I thought the price would be comparable to other cafes. Admittedly, the almond mylk instead of cows milk cost an extra $1. Should’ve had it black like I do at home. ☕
You are just another sucker duped by the "non dairy" milk substitute craze! Our fridge has about 6 litres of that funny cows' stuff, remember? :p

• Haha
Reactions: gordon1940 and DLHM
I have zero sympathy for such "establishments" going under. I have stated on SDC, previously, the over the top markup of meals and beverages when compared to the materials taken to produce them. Don't make up the excuse of rental, insurance, utilities, staff wages and sundry expenses causing price of a simple meal costing over ten times that of the raw materials.

While shopping in Perth's northeastern suburbs yesterday, I checked the prices in an ordinary cafe at lunchtime. A PLAIN hamburger where you get one dollar change from $30? No wonder the only people present were the two staff!

As for the "time poor reason" for dining out incessantly, most SDC members would have more than ample time to prepare a decent and probably more nutritious meal. I doubt many of us work 50 plus hours a week.
Same in the far north. Mini bottle of Lipton tea $7.50 at the shopping centre food court. Ham and cheese sandwich $13.75. Trying to take participants out for a meal is hard. No sympathy here either.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I will just keep making my coffee at home I only buy the beans when on special grind my own works out to be a very cheap coffee taste just like a cafe have had coffee machines for 50 years so I know how to make a good coffee

Reactions: DLHM
Same in the far north. Mini bottle of Lipton tea $7.50 at the shopping centre food court. Ham and cheese sandwich $13.75. Trying to take participants out for a meal is hard. No sympathy here either.
It is strange that a not for profit community cafe in Frankston, Melbourne, can sell HUGE ham and cheese toasted sandwiches of $3! So where does the $10.75 on top go to? Makes you wonder....

You are just another sucker duped by the "non dairy" milk substitute craze! Our fridge has about 6 litres of that funny cows' stuff, remember? :p
I do actually prefer the taste of almond mylk which is why I use that instead of cows’ milk, which is meant for calves.

I drank cows milk most of my life, but once I discovered the better taste of the almond beverage, I prefer that. It’s a matter of choice. 😋

Enjoy your cow beverage, Veggie. 🥛 Moo 🐮

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I do actually prefer the taste of almond mylk which is why I use that instead of cows’ milk, which is meant for calves.

I drank cows milk most of my life, but once I discovered the better taste of the almond beverage, I prefer that. It’s a matter of choice. 😋

Enjoy your cow beverage, Veggie. 🥛 Moo 🐮
Bullshit!! I'll have my steak and eat it too!

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
I will just keep making my coffee at home I only buy the beans when on special grind my own works out to be a very cheap coffee taste just like a cafe have had coffee machines for 50 years so I know how to make a good coffee
My homemade coffee is very ordinary. I only have a cheap coffee maker using pods of pre-ground coffee. Freshly ground coffee beans are far superior.

Reactions: Veggiepatch