Mongolian Lamb

I cooked this last night and is better than the restaurant one.

Recipe can be halved or doubled and Freezes well for upto 3 months.

Mongolian-lamb_1.jpg

LAMB AND MARINADE:​

• 350g lamb meat lamb steaks, backstrap, shoulder thinly sliced 2 - 3 mm, or lamb strips most butchers sell lamb strips cut thin
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb soda) this is a tenderiser
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine can be purchased from Coles ( see note below)

SAUCE:​

• 3 tsp cornflour
  • 2 tsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp chilli paste (or omit for no spice)
  • 3 tbsp hoisin sauce (I used cheap brand)
  • 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
  • 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp sesame oil , toasted

STIR FRY:​

• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion , cut into large 2.5cm wedges
  • 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped I use jar garlic
  • 4 green onions, shallots , cut into 5cm

TENDERISE LAMB:​

• Combine lamb and marinade ingredients, mix very well. Cover and refrigerate to marinate and tenderise the lamb.
  • Marinate at least 2 hours , overnight preferably

COOKING:

1. Sauce: Mix cornflour with the soy sauces, then mix in the remaining sauce ingredients.

2 Heat oil over high heat in a wok or heavy based skillet. Add onions, and stir fry for 30 seconds until starting to colour. Add garlic and toss through quickly.

3. Add lamb and cook for 3 minutes until most of it changes from red to brown, and some pieces start getting nice golden brown surfaces.

3. Add sauce and green onions, stir for 30 seconds and let simmer for 1 - 2 minutes until thickened.
  • Serve with rice!

• Notes
1. Baking soda ( bi carb) - one of the techniques used in Chinese cooking to tenderise meat, making it velvety and soft, and impossible to overcook. Also used for chicken, beef and pork.

2. Soy sauces - light soy and all purpose soy sauce adds salt and a bit of flavour but doesn't make sauces very brown. On the other hand, dark soy sauce has a much stronger soy flavour and adds a lot of colour into sauces. Hence why we use a combination of both. Do not use: sweet soy

3. Chinese Cooking Wine - essential ingredient for a true restaurant quality Mongolian Lamb sauce. cheap and can be purchasedfrom Coles or woollies. Best substitutes dry sherry, Mirin )

Last edited:
Sponsored
I bought some boneless lamb shank meat the other day (really cheap) was looking for something to do with it 1!!1!!
Velvetting was the best thing i found in many years . So important to wash well then wash again !!!! bicarb really tastes awful LOL