Mincing words: Woolworths shopper's weighty concern sparks debate over packaging accuracy

In a recent development that has left many consumers questioning the accuracy of supermarket packaging, a Woolworths shopper from Victoria has raised an urgent alarm over a pack of beef mince.

The customer's discovery has sparked a conversation about the trust we place in food labelling and the importance of vigilance when it comes to our grocery purchases.

The shopper, who was preparing to cook with the mince using their Thermomix, a popular kitchen appliance, decided to weigh the Woolworths Beef Mince 1kg ($11) on the Thermomix scales.

To their dismay, the scales revealed that the pack weighed a mere 784g—a significant 216g less than the 1kg advertised on the packaging.

278cf2ed435f9d82d64b1bdfd604d67831b6e0b3-161x229-x28y0w844h1200.jpg
A Woolworths customer found that their 1kg pack of beef mince weighed only 784g, well below the labelled weight. Credits: X

The customer took to social media to share their frustration, posting a photograph of the mince on the scales with the caption, ‘Woolworths, is there a different kind of kilogram that I don’t know about? Or is a 20 per cent gain on your behalf “within tolerance”?’

The shopper mentioned that they couldn't return the item to the store because ‘it was needed for dinner last night (and it’s a 35km trip in, and then again back out)’ but requested a credit to their Everyday Rewards account.

They added, ‘Also, when was the last time an AQS Test/Audit was completed? And what were the results?’

It's important to note that Australian supermarkets, including Woolworths, are subject to stringent checks to ensure that meat and other items are accurately weighed.

These checks are in place to protect consumers and maintain trust in the products sold.

The National Measurement Institute, the Federal Government’s trade measurement regulator, regularly inspects pre-packed items to ensure compliance with trade measurement laws.

In response to the incident, a Woolworths spokesperson stated that the supermarket is eager to investigate further.

‘We’ve asked the customer for further information so we can look into the claim,’ they stated.

‘All of our pre-packed meat products are checked for their weight on scales that have been certified for trade use.’

‘If ever our customers are concerned about the weight of a product, we’d encourage them to return it to our store. This not only allows us to issue a refund, but also helps to ensure we have the product details we need to investigate further,’ the spokesperson continued.

The pack of mince in question featured an ‘e’ symbol on the label, which stands for ‘'estimate’.

This symbol is used on thousands of pre-packed products across supermarkets and indicates that there may be a slight variance in weight.

The ‘e’ symbol is part of the Average Quantity System, an internationally recognised method for determining the quantity of pre-packed products.

However, this system still requires that the average weight of products in a batch must meet or exceed the weight stated on the label.

As supermarket shoppers navigate potential pitfalls in product quality and pricing, recent incidents have raised concerns about the integrity of purchased items.

Consumers are increasingly vigilant about their purchases, from surprises found in packaged goods to suspicions of overcharging.

Just last year, Woolworths shoppers were urged to check their mince packs after a concerning discovery, adding to the growing list of shopper warnings circulating in the community.

This incident underscores the importance of remaining vigilant while shopping and advocating for transparency and fairness in retail practices.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer discovered their 1kg pack of beef mince weighed only 784g, significantly less than stated on the label.
  • The customer expressed dissatisfaction and sought credit to their rewards account, questioning Woolworths' last measurement check.
  • Woolworths is investigating the claim and reminded customers that their pre-packed meats were weighed on certified scales. They encouraged returns for refunds and further investigation.
  • Pre-packed goods like the mince are subject to the Average Quantity System (AQS), denoted by an ‘e’ symbol on labels, and are regulated by the National Measurement Institute to ensure compliance with trade measurement requirements.
Have you ever experienced something similar with your grocery purchases? How did you handle the situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am surprised that no one has brought this up before. This has been in the back of my mind for some time now. I just don't have a kitchen scale.

I had always believed that ALL supermarket chains do this, remember, the weighing includes the packaging.

As much as I love my thermomix but have found that sometimes the scales are in-accurate. If I buy any product and I believe the weight is in-accurate, I would try to weigh it on a set two scales if that is at all possible.
216grams would be a noticeable weight when buying mince. If ever you feel the weight is not correct, use the the scales in the fruit & veg section to check the weight.
I don't work for Woolies and yes, I have been cheated on weight of mince previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: darrellh
I am in a similar situation to the lady with the underweight mince.
The only difference is that I am 60km from any shops, so it is a 120 km round trip for me.
I try to only go into town once a week, so unless it is a major safety/ contamination issue, unfortunately I am stuck with what every I get, regarding pre package foods.

Reactions: bluetang
As much as I love my thermomix but have found that sometimes the scales are in-accurate. If I buy any product and I believe the weight is in-accurate, I would try to weigh it on a set two scales if that is at all possible.
216grams would be a noticeable weight when buying mince. If ever you feel the weight is not correct, use the the scales in the fruit & veg section to check the weight.
I don't work for Woolies and yes, I have been cheated on weight of mince previously.
I was going to say something similar.
I buy trays of dog meat from Aldi then weigh and repack into smaller meal size bags
I was getting quite p...sed off when I was finding I was short when it came to the last bag of each tray. Should have been
6 X 100 GM's, but the last bag was always considerably short.
Rather than spruiking it all over social media I did a double check and discovered the fault was with my scales.
Sometimes, even if the item is not balanced properly on the scales it will give an incorrect reading.
That is not to say that I don't believe that sometimes things are not packed correctly. As with everything there is always room for error.

Reactions: PattiB
For everybody's information regarding pre packaged produce weights. In other words, the "e" symbol.

The Average Quantity System (AQS) is based on recommendations developed by the International Organization of Legal Metrology, (OIML R 79 Labelling Requirements in Pre-packages and OIML R 87 Quantity of Product in Pre-packages).
It states that a "shortfall" in weight of a pre packed product must not be more than 5%.

Source: https://www.industry.gov.au/publications/guide-average-quantity-system-australia

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I have noticed lately that Tassel and Fishmonger brands of smoked salmon the weights must include the packaging as there is way less actual smoked salmon when I come to weigh it out for serving sizes. Very disappointing as I thought it was meant to be actual goods weight

Reactions: Marj53
I am in a similar situation to the lady with the underweight mince.
The only difference is that I am 60km from any shops, so it is a 120 km round trip for me.
I try to only go into town once a week, so unless it is a major safety/ contamination issue, unfortunately I am stuck with what every I get, regarding pre package foods.
Try shopping at a butcher. A kilo of mince is a kilo. I shop at an excellent butcher and the meat is usually cheaper than the supermarkets except for the specials like lamb legs and chickens. Lamb chops are actually
lamb not mutton with the lamb price. (Qld. allows anything with wool to be called lamb) not so Vic.

I am surprised that no one has brought this up before. This has been in the back of my mind for some time now. I just don't have a kitchen scale.

I had always believed that ALL supermarket chains do this, remember, the weighing includes the packaging.
A rort if ever I heard one... I would be onto the government body the controls this sort of thing and take Woolies to the cleaners...

I thought the packaging was Not supposed to be included in the weight. There was a big deal quite some years ago about the extra weight of containers at the deli.
And mushroom bags are so thin now they break before getting home.

I was going to say something similar.
I buy trays of dog meat from Aldi then weigh and repack into smaller meal size bags
I was getting quite p...sed off when I was finding I was short when it came to the last bag of each tray. Should have been
6 X 100 GM's, but the last bag was always considerably short.
Rather than spruiking it all over social media I did a double check and discovered the fault was with my scales.
Sometimes, even if the item is not balanced properly on the scales it will give an incorrect reading.
That is not to say that I don't believe that sometimes things are not packed correctly. As with everything there is always room for error.
I usually shop at Coles online, & had issues twice in 2 months with meat. The scotch fillet steak was full of fat hidden under the label. As we all know this isn't a cheap purchase, then I was sent mince that was expired that day! I contacted Coles with photos & received a credit for my items. Now I have decided to start weighing my meat purchases. We can't afford it with the cost of groceries & Coles Woolworths make enough profits!