Milk shelves at Coles not ‘friendly’ for short customers

A Coles shopper has recently aired her frustration on social media about an easy-to-miss issue in the supermarket’s milk aisle.

Sharing on Twitter, the Sydney woman complained that the milk shelves at her local Coles are not ‘friendly’ for short people.

She posted two photos of the milk section, showing how all varieties of 1L and 500mL milk had been placed on the uppermost shelf of the display.

Meanwhile, dozens of the two and three-litre bottles of milk are placed on the bottom four shelves, which are more easily accessible for most people.

Apparently, the woman only wanted a litre of milk but was unable to reach the top shelf.

She tagged the official Coles account in her tweet, expressing how ‘problematic’ their shelves are for ‘short’ people.

Jv41hoRgngh_lRSX65eJPMiIWqsBw4ATl5z3_atqe_dW88O15npyO6ddt7GHHG2BbYW14OpNHIlHS3epnT2elyWbfdon0OKO4lADP4uAz8YdWE0VSOAke1TlMxSb0YvxcYndafEM

A Coles shopper complained about the store’s placement of some of its milk ranges. Credit: Twitter.
A spokesperson for Coles has already addressed the woman’s claims and issued a statement.

“Coles welcomes feedback to help us offer the best customer experience and all stores have friendly team members available to assist customers if required,” they said.

“Our shelf layouts are set out to ensure our most popular products are readily available to customers.”

“We work hard to ensure our stores are accessible and easy to shop and will pass on this feedback to the relevant teams.”

Several users online also gave their opinions regarding the issue, and most of them agreed that the woman could have simply asked a Coles team member or another shopper to help her.

“Ask another customer to reach up and get the item for you, I do that all the time,” one person wrote. “I'm short too, but I ask taller people around to get for me,” said another.

On the other hand, another user understood the woman’s sentiments. “Sometimes, shorter people would just like to do their own shopping without asking for help for hard to reach items,” they said.

Not just in Coles, but in a majority of the supermarkets, workers usually place the heavier items on the lower shelves. This is to avoid the risks of customers getting injured from pulling a heavy product at such a high place.

What are your thoughts, folks? Should supermarkets lower their shelves for customers?

Sponsored
I'm short and am wondering the same thing why do they put the larger size cartons/milk containers onthe lower shelves. I don't hestitate to ask someone taller than myself if they could reach the required container for me.

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci
And why is it necessary to have such a choice of milk "varieties" for sale? Do the receivers of the charity milk hand-outs really appreciate and differentiate between almond milk, oat milk, corn milk, goats' milk and -- wait for it, this no doubt will come -- camels' milk?

I also agree and have had the same problem. I use the 1 litre milk bottles and always have trouble reaching them. Yes, if there is a coles person around I ask them for help but quite often there is not a person to ask for help, and then have to rely on another customer. I have spoken with a Coles supervisor in store and was told “that’s just the way it Is”. Woolworths are exactly the same.

• Sad
Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
It's not just the milk aisle that is the problem. I have trouble with the top shelves right through the stores. If an article isn't right at the front of the shelf I have no chance. Finding someone to help is often a trek round the store or interrupting someone else's shop.:(

• Sad
Reactions: Phyll and KatKop
I

A Coles shopper has recently aired her frustration on social media about an easy-to-miss issue in the supermarket’s milk aisle.

Sharing on Twitter, the Sydney woman complained that the milk shelves at her local Coles are not ‘friendly’ for short people.

She posted two photos of the milk section, showing how all varieties of 1L and 500mL milk had been placed on the uppermost shelf of the display.

Meanwhile, dozens of the two and three-litre bottles of milk are placed on the bottom four shelves, which are more easily accessible for most people.

Apparently, the woman only wanted a litre of milk but was unable to reach the top shelf.

She tagged the official Coles account in her tweet, expressing how ‘problematic’ their shelves are for ‘short’ people.

Jv41hoRgngh_lRSX65eJPMiIWqsBw4ATl5z3_atqe_dW88O15npyO6ddt7GHHG2BbYW14OpNHIlHS3epnT2elyWbfdon0OKO4lADP4uAz8YdWE0VSOAke1TlMxSb0YvxcYndafEM

A Coles shopper complained about the store’s placement of some of its milk ranges. Credit: Twitter.
A spokesperson for Coles has already addressed the woman’s claims and issued a statement.

“Coles welcomes feedback to help us offer the best customer experience and all stores have friendly team members available to assist customers if required,” they said.

“Our shelf layouts are set out to ensure our most popular products are readily available to customers.”

“We work hard to ensure our stores are accessible and easy to shop and will pass on this feedback to the relevant teams.”

Several users online also gave their opinions regarding the issue, and most of them agreed that the woman could have simply asked a Coles team member or another shopper to help her.

“Ask another customer to reach up and get the item for you, I do that all the time,” one person wrote. “I'm short too, but I ask taller people around to get for me,” said another.

On the other hand, another user understood the woman’s sentiments. “Sometimes, shorter people would just like to do their own shopping without asking for help for hard to reach items,” they said.

Not just in Coles, but in a majority of the supermarkets, workers usually place the heavier items on the lower shelves. This is to avoid the risks of customers getting injured from pulling a heavy product at such a high place.

What are your thoughts, folks? Should supermarkets lower their shelves for customers?
It's a super market, they don't care, nothing will change in the milk isle!.

Reactions: Ricci
As a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair I understand completely the frustration of not being able to reach the things you need to get. It seems to me sometimes that everything I need to buy is on the top shelf. However, I am extremely grateful to our local Coles. They have asked me to come to the front desk when I arrive to shop and they send a staff member with me to carry my basket and get anything I want off shelves. They then put it on the conveyor and load it into the back pack of my wheelchair. No other sore has ever offered anything like it. I don't often ask. I try my best to manage. But if I need a lot of things I try to pick a quiet time and a Coles staffer helps me. Greatest service ever.

Perhaps the unhappy, short customer could buy long life milk from the shelf...oh no of course she can't! She is not only too short she can't ask for help. But she can complain

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Why don't they make the shelves 50 - 50. Several shelves with smaller items on the bottom and bigger ones on top. The other half with big on the bottom small on top. Simple!!!

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Being 170cm I have been asked multiple times while shopping over the years to help other shoppers get items from shelves that are too high for them to reach, strangely since getting older, and now with hair that is varying shades of grey I am not asked so much, one shopper even apologising when I turned around to respond and they saw my swathe of white hair at the front of my head (AKA Morticia Adams) they then asked a teenager standing close by to assist. I was quite offended by that, what, so grey hair means I am unable to helps does it LOL

• Wow
Perhaps the unhappy, short customer could buy long life milk from the shelf...oh no of course she can't! She is not only too short she can't ask for help. But she can complain
Very unkind snarky comment
i am average height and if the milk I want is right at the back of the shelf and unreachable, i,quite often leave it, because There are no staff members in sight and the people in the vicinity are all too short to reach the milk as well. And I want my favorite brand. staff should be checking that the goods are within reaching distance, it’s not just,milk.

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena

He....I am just under 5ft...and if I can't reach high shelf ...either wait for someone tall...or go looking for temp,often....which takes time......even low products...used walking stick to bring into aisle

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
My husband usually comes with me if I need a lot of things and he often helps people get things from higher shelves. I have a friend who is 4ft 11 (almost) and has no qualms about asking the nearest person to reach something for her. Supermarket staff will do it, it's called "customer service" you may not be able to see them, try the next aisle they are probably there.

No, I don't think they should because it will just involve lesser items being available as there will be less shelving

As a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair I understand completely the frustration of not being able to reach the things you need to get. It seems to me sometimes that everything I need to buy is on the top shelf. However, I am extremely grateful to our local Coles. They have asked me to come to the front desk when I arrive to shop and they send a staff member with me to carry my basket and get anything I want off shelves. They then put it on the conveyor and load it into the back pack of my wheelchair. No other sore has ever offered anything like it. I don't often ask. I try my best to manage. But if I need a lot of things I try to pick a quiet time and a Coles staffer helps me. Greatest service ever.
Hello Leanneh, I am so happy that you have found a store that will provide the extra service to help you.
I am only 4ft 10ins and it was fine when my Husband came shopping with me. But now he stays in the car because of mobility problems and I go off to do the shopping. I must say that if I ever cannot reach a product
and a staff member is not around I just ask someone nearby to help me, I have never been refused help.
People have always been very nice to me. Take care xx

• Love
Reactions: Ricci and Wendy
I was once 5'2", and unfortunately like other parts in my body my height has started going south. It isn't just a problem with groceries. Go into any shop, all the smaller sizes are on the top shelves. Like shoes, you thought it would be a quick trip, no some industrious worker has been in there and tidied up every thing and they always run the numbers from the top down. I happens with clothes as well the smaller sizes are always on the top rack, or sold out to teenagers, before you even get there.

• Sad