Meta platforms experience widespread outage and login issues—were you affected?

Staying connected through social media has become a necessity for many.

And with the sudden and unexplained interruption of services like Facebook, it can cause more than a little anxiety.

A widespread outage of social media not only disrupts daily routines but is also a stark reminder of people’s reliance on these digital platforms.

On Wednesday, 6 March, at 2:06 am, Meta's platforms—Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and Threads—were hit by widespread technical issues causing concern among their massive user base.

Thousands across Australia found themselves automatically logged out of their Facebook accounts.

shutterstock_2329754675.jpg
Meta platforms experienced widespread outage on Wednesday, 6 March. Credit: Shutterstock

Instagram users were greeted with notifications, saying, 'Something went wrong' and found their feeds could not be loaded.

Threads likewise presented users with a pop-up message ‘Something went wrong, please try again later’.

According to the outage tracker Downdetector, the flow of complaints surged from a trickle to over 22,000 reporting disruptions.

The Meta status page itself acknowledged the turmoil, citing 'major disruptions'.

‘Our engineering teams are actively looking to resolve the issue as quickly as possible,’ it said.

While Meta remained tight-lipped about the outage, the issue was addressed within two hours.

Meta spokesperson Andy Stone acknowledged the issue, saying, 'Earlier today, a technical issue caused people to have difficulty accessing some of our services.’

‘We resolved the issue as quickly as possible for everyone who was impacted, and we apologise for any inconvenience.’

A senior official from the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency stated that the agency was ‘not aware of any specific election nexus nor any specific malicious cyber activity nexus to the outage’.

According to London-based internet monitoring firm Netblocks, it stated that there was no sign of ‘country-level internet disruptions or filtering’ imposed by the government.

Matthew Green, Cybersecurity Expert and Associate Professor of Computer Science and Member of the Johns Hopkins University Information Security Institute, said that the disruption extended beyond Meta platforms.

‘There are a number of services having trouble with at least parts of their systems, particularly the ability to log into websites,’ he said.

‘This may indicate a common cause, like a failure at a major cloud services provider. At the moment, nobody knows exactly what's happening.’

The outage occurred shortly before the deadline for big tech companies to adhere to the European Union's new Digital Markets Act.

Meta is implementing changes to comply with this, such as enabling users to separate their Facebook and Instagram accounts to prevent the combining of personal information for targeted online advertising.

Whether the outage is related to any preparations Meta may make for compliance with the DMA remains unclear.

In 2021, Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp experienced hours-long outages attributed by the company to faulty changes on routers coordinating network traffic between its data centres.

In 2023, WhatsApp experienced another brief outage due to ‘connectivity issues’.
Key Takeaways
  • Meta platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and Threads, experienced a widespread outage affecting thousands of users.
  • The issues included users being logged out and receiving errors when attempting to reload their feeds.
  • The problem, starting early Wednesday morning, was monitored by the website Downdetector with numerous reports of disruptions.
  • The outage was resolved within approximately two hours, and a Meta spokesperson apologised for the inconvenience caused by the technical issue.
Were you affected by the widespread outage of Meta’s platforms? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Yayyyyyy! The imbeciles who use these platforms to tell everyone in the world of what they ate for lunch, with a photo and where and when they’re going on holidays and leaving their houses empty need to wake up to the fact of who is reading this, and definitely from what country or country of origin.

I was one affected, on both Facebook and Messenger…. But not able to lodge a complaint as I couldn’t get in….. who do we complain to?

I was one affected, on both Facebook and Messenger…. But not able to lodge a complaint as I couldn’t get in….. who do we complain to?
You will get the stock-prescripted monotonous drivel.... don't waste your time!!!!

7pm and I am still out of Fb. I didn't realize there was an outage of that degree, it said I had entered the wrong password.

Both my daughter in California and me in Australia got booted out of Facebook at the same time. We should have been sleeping anyway so we did and when we woke it was all better.

Definitely something if this happened immediately prior to a 'DEADLINE for.......... a new Digital Markets Act'.

No outtage for me I no longer use any Meta Products or social websites like it. I stick to
Senior's Discount Club instead. Yes one still can encounter scammers/outtages and the like but not as frequently!

Reactions: DLHM and Ezzy
Ditto, exactly the same scenario as Lladnyl, still can't logvin
Are you back on yet? I'm not. Even their reset password is stuffed - it keeps sending me the same code to enter each time I apply but when entered it says I have entered the wrong code.

I've stopped trying to access any Meta products! I will not be returning to FB even though my hacked posts are still being used. All I can do, and I've done that, is to alert my friends that any messages from FB are not from me at all! If my friends choose to ignore that then I can do nothing more!

I’ like to add a warning to this after watching YouTube tonight, delete TEMU from your computers as the CCP owned company is watching you. I just did.

Reactions: IAN3005
I’ like to add a warning to this after watching YouTube tonight, delete TEMU from your computers as the CCP owned company is watching you. I just did.
Anything with a Chinese flavour I pass them by.