Memoir reveals years of hidden struggles for iconic singer

An icon of the Australian music scene has recently unveiled a deeply personal and disturbing narrative in his new memoir, The Voice Inside.

The singer, whose voice has been the soundtrack to many of our lives, shares a harrowing account of his early years in the industry, marked by manipulation and abuse at the hands of his late former manager, Darryl Sambell.

In the 1960s, a young John Farnham rose to fame as a teen pop idol with catchy tunes like Sadie the Cleaning Lady.

However, behind the scenes, his life was far from the glitz and glamour one might expect.

In excerpts from his memoir published by The Australian, Farnham reveals that he was secretly drugged 'for years' by Sambell, only discovering the truth when he noticed a half-dissolved pill in his coffee.

1730073259695.png
John Farnham revealed in The Voice Inside that his former manager, Darryl Sambell, secretly drugged him for years. Credit: Facebook

When confronted, Sambell nonchalantly claimed it was 'just something to keep you awake.'

The memoir goes on to detail more disturbing behaviour from Sambell, who was openly gay and 'aggressively sexual' towards Farnham.

The singer recounts constantly fending off unwanted advances, a situation that escalated into a toxic mix of jealousy, hatred, and a desire for control by Sambell.

This control extended to nearly every aspect of Farnham's life, dictating his work, appearance, and diet and isolating him from loved ones, including his wife, Jill, whom he married in 1973.

It wasn't until 1976 that Farnham took the decisive step to terminate Sambell's managerial role.

This move paved the way for a more prosperous phase of his career under the guidance of Glenn Wheatley.

Together, they achieved remarkable success in the 1980s and 90s, cementing Farnham's status as a national treasure.

Reflecting on those tumultuous years, Farnham expresses a mix of 'sorrow and shame,' lamenting his naivety and misplaced trust.

Writing his memoir forced him to confront these painful memories, which he admits was challenging.

'I feel so ashamed of myself for not realising what Darryl was up to or speaking up more often to put him back in his place,' Farnham wrote.

In August 2022, he shared the news of his cancer diagnosis and the subsequent 12-hour surgery that involved jaw reconstruction to remove a cancerous tumour.

A year later, he brought a wave of relief to his fans by announcing he was 'cancer-free,' although he had undergone several more procedures since the initial operation.

As a testament to his resilience, Farnham also narrated the audiobook version of his memoir.

Fans will hear his distinctive voice, altered but still strong after his cancer treatment, as he delves into the reasons behind his reluctance to share his story until now.

'I don’t enjoy talking about myself, I really don’t. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an egomaniac, but dredging up the past is just not something I’ve ever really enjoyed,' he said.
Key Takeaways

• John Farnham revealed in his memoir The Voice Inside that he was secretly drugged for years by his former manager, Darryl Sambell.
  • Farnham also detailed how he suffered from Sambell's unwanted sexual advances and how he experienced control and isolation.
  • The Australian music legend sacked Sambell in 1976 and was succeeded by new manager Glenn Wheatley.
  • Farnham narrated the audiobook version of his memoir, which is particularly notable following his recent treatment for a cancerous tumour in his mouth.
Have you ever had to confront difficult chapters from your past? How did you find the strength to move forward? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored