Member Spotlight: Behind the Lens with Member @Big Al

Note from the Editor

This member has shared some absolutely breathtaking photographs on the forum, but today, we’re going to dig deeper into the man behind the camera.

Introducing member @Big Al!

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Born in NZ in 1954 to a dairy farmer and a Parson's daughter. Hence, my claim that there's Methodism in my madness.

Spent most of my working life in NZ as a farmer, board member, and chairman of several agricultural-related entities.

I met my second wife in NZ and eventually followed her to Australia, where she has family on the Gold Coast.

Have lived on the GC (Gold Coast) for 20 years and took up palliative care nursing with QLD Health as a retirement hobby. A far cry from farming and running companies, but very rewarding, nonetheless.

Retired now, my wife and I are active members of our local church.

Apart from photography, my hobby is making wooden toys to donate to the Op Shop and elsewhere in order that the funds are available to less fortunate community members.

What's something about you (a fun fact) that not many people know?

I enjoyed flying during my farming career and, at one time, built my own aeroplane, a Lancair 235, which was the first of its type to fly in NZ. The photo is attached here.

lancairjpeg (1).jpg
Image Credit: Member @Big Al

How did you find the Seniors Discount Club?

Simply searching for things of interest to people of my age.

What is your favourite part of the Seniors Discount Club?

I enjoy the twice-daily emails and scan them for things of interest and also things perhaps not normally interested in. As well as photography, I also am a bit of a cook, and I like finding recipes that others recommend.

Do you have any words of wisdom?

Best not to get me started. I am very concerned about the demise of Western society and the inculcation of our young with harmful concepts.

But here's a short one: ‘Pounds are made of pennies.’

Unlike my generation, too many of today's young spend their pennies on coffee and mashed avo, etc. and then blame my generation because they can't afford a deposit on a house.

Do you have a story about yourself that you would like to share?

One thing I have come to terms with is that life is not always fair. During our lives, we will encounter both good fortune and horrendous experiences. Some are luckier than others, and some are horridly served.

But victimhood and envy are to be avoided by all people seeking to live a meaningful and contented life.

What is your favourite thing to photograph?

I've always loved what I call ‘National Geographic’ photos and always look for those ‘in your face’ photo opportunities of people and scenery.

Australia has over 850 bird species, and they can all be photographed feeding, nesting, hunting, etc., which gives me many opportunities to add to my collection of bird photos. I have made a couple of books about Aussie birds and also enjoy making books about our holidays, which serve as lovely reminders, as well as getting photos off the computer and onto something that is more useful.

From the Editor:

A huge thank you to member @Big Al for sharing his story and answers with us. This was incredible to read. I’m still wrapping my head around building a plane! If you have any kind comments, add them below!

Sponsored
Note from the Editor

This member has shared some absolutely breathtaking photographs on the forum, but today, we’re going to dig deeper into the man behind the camera.

Born in NZ in 1954 to a dairy farmer and a Parson's daughter. Hence, my claim that there's Methodism in my madness.

Spent most of my working life in NZ as a farmer, board member, and chairman of several agricultural-related entities.

I met my second wife in NZ and eventually followed her to Australia, where she has family on the Gold Coast.

Have lived on the GC (Gold Coast) for 20 years and took up palliative care nursing with QLD Health as a retirement hobby. A far cry from farming and running companies, but very rewarding, nonetheless.

Apart from photography, my hobby is making wooden toys to donate to the Op Shop and elsewhere in order that the funds are available to less fortunate community members.

I enjoyed flying during my farming career and, at one time, built my own aeroplane, a Lancair 235, which was the first of its type to fly in NZ. The photo is attached here.

View attachment 35471

I enjoy the twice-daily emails and scan them for things of interest and also things perhaps not normally interested in. As well as photography, I also am a bit of a cook, and I like finding recipes that others recommend.

Best not to get me started. I am very concerned about the demise of Western society and the inculcation of our young with harmful concepts.

Unlike my generation, too many of today's young spend their pennies on coffee and mashed avo, etc. and then blame my generation because they can't afford a deposit on a house.

One thing I have come to terms with is that life is not always fair. During our lives, we will encounter both good fortune and horrendous experiences. Some are luckier than others, and some are horridly served.

But victimhood and envy are to be avoided by all people seeking to live a meaningful and contented life.

I've always loved what I call ‘National Geographic’ photos and always look for those ‘in your face’ photo opportunities of people and scenery.

Australia has over 850 bird species, and they can all be photographed feeding, nesting, hunting, etc., which gives me many opportunities to add to my collection of bird photos. I have made a couple of books about Aussie birds and also enjoy making books about our holidays, which serve as lovely reminders, as well as getting photos off the computer and onto something that is more useful.

From the Editor:

A huge thank you to member @Big Al for sharing his story and answers with us. This was incredible to read. I’m still wrapping my head around building a plane! If you have any kind comments, add them below!
A very interesting life.

Note from the Editor

View attachment 35471

From the Editor:

i am a mainlander. south canterbary then southland. now australian.

It seems everyone has a story as to why they are the way they are. I have done the reverse of Big Al & lived in NZ for several years. In Southland also but now back in Australia for the next chapter (the older bit)of my life, As I am very slow at movements I can only relive the Glory days of my youth in my mind. What fun I have had in my life & some bad times too. The sum total of my experiences has made me who I am today.

I enjoyed reading your life story and it was very interesting .I wish the young generation spent their money on coffee and Avo on toast , could be a lot worse like KFC . Also they want the latest gadgets ,tattoos, body piercing etc , that cost a lot more pennies and you do not need it . Thank you for your story!

Reactions: Big Al
Note from the Editor

View attachment 35471

From the Editor:

are you able to make contact? I was born in Timaru, farmers daughter from Levelsvalley/Taiko. went to Timaru girls, boarder. I ended up in Gore southland, lived in Lumsden then back to Gore. I am with a southlander born in wyndham and we live in qld. what part of southland did you farm in?