Member Iggydi's Adventures: Road tripping across Australia

Note from the Editor:
This fantastic travel article is brought to you by the wonderful member Diane, best known as @Iggydi.

Hello SDC Members,

Who remembers the Leyland Brothers' Theme Song? ‘Travel all over the countryside, ask the Leyland Brothers.’

Well that is one of our favourite songs when we go travelling this amazing country of ours. The other is ‘On the Road Again’ by Canned Heat (included below in case you’d like a soundtrack to go along with this story).

Are there other members that enjoy travelling around Australia and have a favourite song? Or have you put off travelling until you retire, have enough money, have the big off-road van, have the kids grown up enough, or are there many other excuses out there?

This is the reason why I started travelling.

When I was about 12, I got the chance to cross the Queensland Border to a little town in New South Wales called Woodenbong. My best friend, her dad and brother were going for a drive and I was asked to go along with them. For me, it was exciting because my dad worked in the Merchant Navy and was away for years at a time, and my mum didn’t drive.

Some people would most probably drive past a lot of things we stopped at. But our motto is ‘If it’s there, we want to see it.’

When I was 19, I travelled to Tasmania to visit my Uncle, Auntie, and cousins in Hobart. That was my second time travelling out of Queensland. I took the bus to Melbourne and flew across to Hobart. So, I think from then on, I wanted to see more of Australia.

Many years ago, my dad passed away at 62. He had just retired and then got sick. Less than 2 years later, he was gone. I was 32, and I said I would not wait until I retired to travel to Australia and some of the overseas places I had always wanted to see.

So here I am at 67, exploring this big country of ours. I know it’s not for everyone, and I know some people can’t travel due to different scenarios, albeit personal or physical.

• Love
Reactions: midgemills
Sponsored