Tristeagan

Aug 3, 2022
MARYBOROUGH Victoria
Melting Pot - Blue Mink

How many of you remember Melting Pot by Blue Mink? Let me remind you of the chorus:
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score.

It seems to me that our world, our tolerances for other people, other races, other religions and even other sexual orientations, is being constantly stirred and mixed and accepted. Each generation takes it one step further. It can be confronting for us, who have been raised in a delineated society, to be admonished by grandchildren. Words, terms, names and sayings that we grew up with are being used to label us as being racist or sexist, when often no offence was meant, intended or taken.

It seems a shame to lose our history, our pride, our stories and our humour by prohibiting the use of so called "Ist-isms". I, for one, have no problem being called a Pom or Pommie - (it is supposed to an acronym of Prisoner of Mother England). My brother takes great pride in being called a "miserable pommie b-----d"

There is enormous fun in using some of the alleged attributes of certain races, religions or sexual types in jokes or stories, and fortunately, most of us find humour in those attributes of ourselves when we see it.

Somehow, in prohibiting the reference to differences between groups, we are denying their individuality, their personality, their right to be different. We have gone beyond saying everyone is equal, and strayed into everyone is the same. No mention must be made of any characteristics that makes them different (How dare someone in the Royal family wonder aloud about the possible colour of the skin of a bi-racial royal child!) but we must make allowances for the fact that they are.

The Melting Pot idea is working very well, we have lots of coffee coloured people but the stirring is too vigorous - it is addling the brains.

• Wow
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
Melting Pot - Blue Mink

How many of you remember Melting Pot by Blue Mink? Let me remind you of the chorus:
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score.

It seems to me that our world, our tolerances for other people, other races, other religions and even other sexual orientations, is being constantly stirred and mixed and accepted. Each generation takes it one step further. It can be confronting for us, who have been raised in a delineated society, to be admonished by grandchildren. Words, terms, names and sayings that we grew up with are being used to label us as being racist or sexist, when often no offence was meant, intended or taken.

It seems a shame to lose our history, our pride, our stories and our humour by prohibiting the use of so called "Ist-isms". I, for one, have no problem being called a Pom or Pommie - (it is supposed to an acronym of Prisoner of Mother England). My brother takes great pride in being called a "miserable pommie b-----d"

There is enormous fun in using some of the alleged attributes of certain races, religions or sexual types in jokes or stories, and fortunately, most of us find humour in those attributes of ourselves when we see it.

Somehow, in prohibiting the reference to differences between groups, we are denying their individuality, their personality, their right to be different. We have gone beyond saying everyone is equal, and strayed into everyone is the same. No mention must be made of any characteristics that makes them different (How dare someone in the Royal family wonder aloud about the possible colour of the skin of a bi-racial royal child!) but we must make allowances for the fact that they are.

The Melting Pot idea is working very well, we have lots of coffee coloured people but the stirring is too vigorous - it is addling the brains.
I completely understand where you're coming from but I personally don't find any happiness in jokes or stories that will hurt or invalidate the struggles that other people have faced!

I'm Asian and honestly don't mind the 'chinky' remarks either, but others have been bullied their entire lives for it and taking part in these slurs, in my personal opinion, only makes their situation worse.

If it means losing the 'fun' and the 'culture' to lift someone else's confidence up and respect their wishes, then I really don't mind :)

Reactions: Tristeagan
I completely understand where you're coming from but I personally don't find any happiness in jokes or stories that will hurt or invalidate the struggles that other people have faced!

I'm Asian and honestly don't mind the 'chinky' remarks either, but others have been bullied their entire lives for it and taking part in these slurs, in my personal opinion, only makes their situation worse.

If it means losing the 'fun' and the 'culture' to lift someone else's confidence up and respect their wishes, then I really don't mind :)
I agree with you about lifting other people's confidence and respecting their wishes - and in a personal situation, we would of course do just that.

A lot of things happen to people to reduce their confidence and there are a lot of things that people take offence at. Are we going to ban jokes about red hair because every child with red hair was laughed at and humiliated at school? (I have a husband and three children who are "Rangas")

People need to realise that laughing at ourselves, at the peculiarities of our cultures, our religions or our sexual orientations on a global scale is very different to a pointed personal remark designed to upset someone. Yet here we are - banning them wholesale with laws and restrictions.

The real pain and suffering that resulted in the justifiable banning of the displaying of the Nazi flag and Swastika is a far cry from the hurt feelings and lack of confidence of a few yet they are treated the same.

We now have the situation where everyone looks for and complains at anything that can be construed as an 'ism' even if it does not affect them personally. Commentators, journalists and writers are losing their confidence and their jobs because of an ill chosen word or misconstrued phrase. Will we ban 'ism' hunters? Where will it all stop?

Sorry Sethia, I seem to have got on my soap box again. Perhaps this whole thing needs to be relocated to political forum?