Melissa Doyle takes a trip down memory lane in her latest TV appearance

Melissa Doyle has been synonymous with Australian morning television.

Despite being away from the limelight for a while, she continues to grace people’s lives with her charm.

The esteemed journalist and former host appeared again on Sunrise, this time not to deliver the news but to talk about her genealogical discoveries.

In a recent episode of SBS TV's Who Do You Think You Are?, viewers were treated to an enthralling episode in which Doyle traced her lineage back to New Zealand.

The 54-year-old journalist shared the intriguing tale of her great-grandmother Annie, who owned a confectionary shop and was a savvy bootlegger.

Annie's 'medicated health wine', which had 21 per cent alcohol content, was a hit among rail workers during her time.

compressed-Melissa doyle.jpeg
Melissa Doyle went through several photos and files related to her ancestry with the help of a dedicated research team. Image Credit: Instagram/Melissa Doyle

'Bless Annie. She is a bootlegger. She was selling moonshine under the counter of a lolly shop! She is my new hero,' Doyle shared.

Doyle's return to TV was not just a trip down memory lane; it was an opportunity to reflect on the complexities of her ancestry.

'The thought of turning the tables and making it about me, I suddenly was a little nervous about that part,' She added.

'I also thought, "What are they going to find? What if there are family scandals that no one has told me about?"'

Her concerns were soon replaced by gratitude, thanks to a dedicated research team that revealed her family's past through several documents and a detailed family tree.

The revelations continued as Doyle learned of her great-grandmother's father, who served jail time.

Her ancestors' arrival in New Zealand coincided with the Māori wars—when land grants to settlers meant displacement of indigenous people.

Her acknowledgement of her family's past, along with the harsh realities of colonialism, was a sobering realisation for Doyle.

Throughout her interview on Sunrise, Doyle emphasised the importance of connecting with her roots.

'You see the family tree, and it's a name and a year of birth and a year of death, and suddenly, I could bring them to life and know their experiences through the show,' Doyle shared.

'I liked being able to put faces and stories to the names on that piece of paper.'

The experience was educational and deeply personal, as it allowed her to see the threads of her family's history woven into her own identity.

Doyle's recent guesting is more than a television appearance; it invites everyone to explore their heritage and appreciate the narratives that shaped them today.

Let's celebrate the rich tapestry of history that we carry within us.
Key Takeaways

• Melissa Doyle delved into her family history on the TV show Who Do You Think You Are? and shared her discoveries.
  • She learned that her great-grandmother started a confectionery shop in New Zealand and later on started bootlegging alcohol.
  • Doyle felt nervous about uncovering her family's past and the potential for uncovering unknown issues.
  • Despite the shocking aspects of her ancestors' history, Doyle appreciated the deeper understanding of her heritage and the conditions her family endured.
Have you ever delved into your family's history? What stories and secrets have you uncovered? Share your thoughts and discoveries with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
No history of unclaimed fortunes in my family. I am a descendant of an Irish family who seemed to spend their days drinking and getting into fights lol. A couple have seen the inside of a jail cell for being drunk and disorderly. All very interesting but.

I would prefer to watch some of these so called ”discovery“ shows being based on everyday hardworking aussies who will never be able to afford to do this type of research for themselves, rather than on so called stars who should be able to afford their own research.

Reactions: Colette 3799