Meghan Markle made her debut on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, months after controversial Oprah interview

On Thursday, Meghan Markle sat down with Ellen DeGeneres, making her second visit to a television talk show since becoming a member of the British royal family.

It was the first big TV appearance for the Duchess of Sussex since she and her husband Prince Harry, gave a bombshell tell-all to Oprah Winfrey in March, airing out their unhappiness with life within the Royal Family.

rlZSdiOmAGhS1fKLzIDXR0sG-k4fM-M0K9xqWLbqciw224_GwqkHElstATz9SuD2zhHllAKzUdxzZNsoMkXP9KkaleZUa43YqcsYDP5N5XdVv_lhMjdb1tIAlorJZZiit1LGia4h

Meghan reminisced about going on auditions on the same Warner Bros. lot where she worked as an actress. Photo by Michael Rozman/Warner Bros.
In a clip released ahead of the show’s episode, Meghan reminisced about being a struggling actress who would arrive for auditions in a bashed-up second-hand car.

“So I had this very old Ford Explore Sport, and at a certain point, the key stopped working on the driver's side, and so you couldn't get yourself in through the door,” she recalled.

“So after auditions, I would park at the back of the parking lot, and I would open the trunk and climb in, pull the door shut behind me and crawl all over my seats to get out. That's how I would come to and fro.”

The former Suits actress described the Ford Explorer as having “a life of its own”.

“I would park on gate three, and I would scoot on over, and the security guards here would always say "break a leg, I hope you get it". So driving today was very different.”

“A lot has changed since the last time Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, was on the Warner Brothers lot,” Ellen tweeted in response.

Her shocking appearance raised fears that she may be about to launch a fresh attack on the royals.

Ellen, who is ending her talk show after 19 seasons amid plunging ratings after being accused of running a toxic workplace last year, began her friendship with Meghan years ago with a chance encounter at a dog shelter.

Meghan recalled her conversation with the talk show host, “Now, I don't know her, but Ellen goes, 'Is that your dog?' And I said, 'No,' and she's like, 'You have to take that dog.' And I said, 'Well, I'm deciding.' And she's like, 'Rescue the dog!'”

"It's sort of like if Oprah tells you to do something. I'm sitting there holding him, and she's like, 'Have you thought of a name for him yet?' And I said, 'Well, I think I'd name him Bogart,' and she's like 'You're taking the dog home.'”

She continued, “And she walks outside to get into her car but instead of getting in she turns around and comes and taps on the window glass and she yells 'Take the dog!' And so I brought him home. Because Ellen told me to.”

DeGeneres also met Prince Harry when she had a surprise visit to the U.K. in 2019, revealing that she cradled and fed baby Archie.

In 2019, Ellen defended the royal couple after being criticised for taking private jets for vacations around Europe.

“Imagine being attacked for everything you do when all you're trying to do is make the world better,” she posted on Twitter.

“They are amazing. They are the cutest couple and so down-to-earth.”

“I see them get attacked, and it's not fair,” she continued. “They are just two of the most down-to-earth compassionate people; they’re doing so much good for the world.”

Sponsored
Two very controversial people sitting across from each other

Reactions: tiger