Measles alert: Infant's visit sparks cross-border outbreak concerns

Once thought to be nearly eradicated in many developed countries, measles has made a disturbing comeback, ringing alarm bells nationwide.

A recent urgent health alert was issued for a highly contagious measles case in Sydney involving an innocent nine-month-old baby.

This highlighted the potential for infectious diseases to cross borders and spread through communities.

The infant who had recently returned from Asia, where there had been an outbreak of measles, visited several locations in Sydney's inner west and southwest upon return, potentially exposing numerous individuals to the virus.

Among the identified locations is the Five Star Coffee and Nuts grocery on Yerrick Rd in Lakemba, which the infant visited on 12 January between 3 pm and 5 pm.

fe-ngo-bvx3G7RkOts-unsplash.jpg
An infant infected with measles visited several locations in Sydney. Credit: Unsplash

NSW Health has been proactive in managing the situation, identifying and contacting people in close contact with the infant to arrange preventive treatment if required.

Dr Leena Gupta, Sydney Local Health District's Clinical Director of Public Health, reassured the public that the identified location posed no ongoing risk.

However, she urged people who had visited the Lakemba grocery during the specified time to be vigilant for symptoms.

‘(They) include fever, sore eyes and a cough, usually followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash that spreads from the head to the rest of the body,’ Dr Gupta said.

'It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to appear after an exposure.'

See the statement below:

Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease, spread through the air when someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes.

The most effective and safe protection is the common measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which is included in the National Immunisation Program (NIP) for children between 12 and 18 months.

It is also free in NSW for anyone born during or after 1966 who hasn't already had two doses.

'This should be a reminder for everyone to check that they are protected against measles, which is very infectious,' Dr Gupta said.

'Anyone born during or after 1966 needs to ensure they have received two doses of measles vaccine.’

‘This is particularly important prior to overseas travel, as measles outbreaks are occurring in several regions of the world at the moment.'

The incident echoed a similar scare in July last year when a man unknowingly infected with measles travelled through Melbourne and Brisbane airports.

In September last year, WA Health issued a health alert for locals after a person infected with measles returned from Bali and spread the virus to multiple individuals over two weeks. The infected individual spent more than two hours in Meekatharra and at shopping outlets in the southern region of Perth.

According to Federal Department of Health Care data, the immunisation coverage rate for all Australian children at five years stands at 94.04 per cent.
Key Takeaways
  • An urgent health alert has been issued in Sydney after a nine-month-old with measles visited several locations in the inner west and southwest.
  • NSW Health has identified and contacted those who have been in close contact with the infant to offer preventive treatment as needed.
  • Symptoms of measles to be aware of include fever, sore eyes, a cough, and a red, blotchy rash spreading from the head to the rest of the body.
  • Public health officials urge people to ensure they are protected against measles by receiving two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which is free in NSW for those born during or after 1966 who haven't had two doses.
Have you checked your immunisation status recently? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and featherfour
Sponsored
I actually go to this shop every few weeks and it's always packed , their olives are the cheapest around as well as everything else.

My kids are all vaccinated but wonder how long it actually last ?

I had measles when I was maybe 6 again I wonder how long the immunity last, I know they check when you are pregnant and I had immunity then.

It came out last night that 3 other children have come down with measles and not from the same family.

Now my question is were they vaccinated ? We stopped seeing measles cases because of vaccination

Once thought to be nearly eradicated in many developed countries, measles has made a disturbing comeback, ringing alarm bells nationwide.

A recent urgent health alert was issued for a highly contagious measles case in Sydney involving an innocent nine-month-old baby.

This highlighted the potential for infectious diseases to cross borders and spread through communities.

The infant who had recently returned from Asia, where there had been an outbreak of measles, visited several locations in Sydney's inner west and southwest upon return, potentially exposing numerous individuals to the virus.

Among the identified locations is the Five Star Coffee and Nuts grocery on Yerrick Rd in Lakemba, which the infant visited on 12 January between 3 pm and 5 pm.

View attachment 39369
An infant infected with measles visited several locations in Sydney. Credit: Unsplash

NSW Health has been proactive in managing the situation, identifying and contacting people in close contact with the infant to arrange preventive treatment if required.

Dr Leena Gupta, Sydney Local Health District's Clinical Director of Public Health, reassured the public that the identified location posed no ongoing risk.

However, she urged people who had visited the Lakemba grocery during the specified time to be vigilant for symptoms.

‘(They) include fever, sore eyes and a cough, usually followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash that spreads from the head to the rest of the body,’ Dr Gupta said.

'It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to appear after an exposure.'

See the statement below:

Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease, spread through the air when someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes.

The most effective and safe protection is the common measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which is included in the National Immunisation Program (NIP) for children between 12 and 18 months.

It is also free in NSW for anyone born during or after 1966 who hasn't already had two doses.

'This should be a reminder for everyone to check that they are protected against measles, which is very infectious,' Dr Gupta said.

'Anyone born during or after 1966 needs to ensure they have received two doses of measles vaccine.’

‘This is particularly important prior to overseas travel, as measles outbreaks are occurring in several regions of the world at the moment.'

The incident echoed a similar scare in July last year when a man unknowingly infected with measles travelled through Melbourne and Brisbane airports.

In September last year, WA Health issued a health alert for locals after a person infected with measles returned from Bali and spread the virus to multiple individuals over two weeks. The infected individual spent more than two hours in Meekatharra and at shopping outlets in the southern region of Perth.

According to Federal Department of Health Care data, the immunisation coverage rate for all Australian children at five years stands at 94.04 per cent.
Key Takeaways

• An urgent health alert has been issued in Sydney after a nine-month-old with measles visited several locations in the inner west and southwest.
  • NSW Health has identified and contacted those who have been in close contact with the infant to offer preventive treatment as needed.
  • Symptoms of measles to be aware of include fever, sore eyes, a cough, and a red, blotchy rash spreading from the head to the rest of the body.
  • Public health officials urge people to ensure they are protected against measles by receiving two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which is free in NSW for those born during or after 1966 who haven't had two doses.
Have you checked your immunisation status recently? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

another kerfuffle about nothing

I actually go to this shop every few weeks and it's always packed , their olives are the cheapest around as well as everything else.

My kids are all vaccinated but wonder how long it actually last ?

I had measles when I was maybe 6 again I wonder how long the immunity last, I know they check when you are pregnant and I had immunity then.

It came out last night that 3 other children have come down with measles and not from the same family.

Now my question is were they vaccinated ? We stopped seeing measles cases because of vaccination
All I can say is I hope they were 🙏

All I can say is I hope they were 🙏
Measles are pretty serious, it can cause blindness . None of my 13 kids have ever had measles as they were vaccinated.

Chicken pox vaccine when it first came out like 20 years ago it was very expensive $80 a vaccine , so every 2 weeks I planned to get 2 kids done at a time, I had gotten my 3 and 4 year olds done first , then before I could get any more done Chicken pox was in my house . It got one at a time then two. We had Chicken pox in our house from end of October until mid January, I said the other week that was our first lockdown

Problem with chickenpox if you catch it then it can lay dormant for years later and then return as shingles which is even far more serious

Last edited:
Measles are pretty serious, it can cause blindness . None of my 13 kids have ever had measles as they were vaccinated.

Chicken pox vaccine when it first came out like 20 years ago it was very expensive $80 a vaccine , so every 2 weeks I planned to get 2 kids done at a time, I had gotten my 3 and 4 year olds done first , then before I could get any more done Chicken pox was in my house . It got one at a time then two. We had Chicken pox in our house from end of October until mid January, I said the other week that was our first lockdown

Problem with chickpea if you catch it then it can lay dormant for years later and then return as shingles which is even far more serious
Good on you for ensuring that your 13 kids were all vaccinated against measles! That's 13 less people to worry about :LOL: What a wondermum you are @Suzanne rose 👏👏👏

I can't imagine holding the fort when everyone's down with something.

Reactions: Liz
Does anyone know how long after you have a booster shot for rubella etc you should have another vaccination. I had one before my great nephews were born. Maybe i should ask my GP. And no measles is not a kerfuffle, it can be very serious.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Good on you for ensuring that your 13 kids were all vaccinated against measles! That's 13 less people to worry about :LOL: What a wondermum you are @Suzanne rose 👏👏👏

I can't imagine holding the fort when everyone's down with something.
I had a sign on my front door once which read ' We love you visiting but if you are sick we don't like your germs ' problem with having so ,any kids if one got sick normally everyone got sick . What made me put the sign up was my friend came to visit and I knew her kids had chickenpox and I couldn't believe she actually came with her kids to visit.

I had many many sleepless nights I guess that's why I now love my sleep

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and Liz
Does anyone know how long after you have a booster shot for rubella etc you should have another vaccination. I had one before my great nephews were born. Maybe i should ask my GP. And no measles is not a kerfuffle, it can be very serious.
They say the vaccine as a child will last your whole life.

If someone wasn't vaccinated as a child then as an adult they should get vaccinated unless they have had measles and now have immunity

Reactions: DLHM
I had a sign on my front door once which read ' We love you visiting but if you are sick we don't like your germs ' problem with having so ,any kids if one got sick normally everyone got sick . What made me put the sign up was my friend came to visit and I knew her kids had chickenpox and I couldn't believe she actually came with her kids to visit.

I had many many sleepless nights I guess that's why I now love my sleep
How rude and inconsiderate of that person.

How rude and inconsiderate of that person.
She tried to say that once the last chicken pox came out they weren't infectious. I said I couldn't take the chance . At that time I had 9 kids.
I had later found out it's when the last one has crusted then they are nolonger contagious but how do you really know when the last one has.

She had gone shopping before coming to mine so who knows how many people they infected.

• Angry
She tried to say that once the last chicken pox came out they weren't infectious. I said I couldn't take the chance . At that time I had 9 kids.
I had later found out it's when the last one has crusted then they are nolonger contagious but how do you really know when the last one has.

She had gone shopping before coming to mine so who knows how many people they infected.
Some people are very inconsiderate.