McDonald’s job ad sparks outrage by ruling out a specific type of applicant

It’s an unfair reality most people are facing: Older people have more difficulty finding jobs than younger people.

Unfortunately, ageism is a very real problem throughout many industries and professions – and McDonald’s has recently been dragged into the spotlight over a job advertisement they posted online.

The notice, posted to hire workers for the graveyard shift of the McDonald’s in Auckland Central, included a list of criteria. Surprisingly, it specified that they were only looking for people between the ages of 16 and 60.

The fast food giant said that the franchisee posted the advertisement as a way to try and make it sound ‘catchy’. However, the Auckland store manager placed the blame on the ‘head office’.

mc1.jpg
A McDonald’s franchise in New Zealand was called out for its ‘ageist’ job advertisement. Credit: Nothing Ahead/Pexels

Now, legal experts, unions, and social media users have banded together to condemn the ad for its ‘ageist’ approach to employment. One person even called it a ‘blatant’ violation of human rights.

The advertisement specified a 10 pm to 6 am shift and outlined the job benefits, including free meals, ‘discounted food anytime’ and special overnight allowances. All applicants were encouraged to ‘DM (directly message the store) for details or apply today via the link’.

‘Starting rates at $22.80,’ it said.

The job ad also stated there were hours between five and 40 available per week and that experience wasn’t necessary to apply.

Joe Carolan from Unite Union in New Zealand explained the implications of the ad and the ‘bizarre’ ageism they shine a spotlight on.

‘Contrary to the myth that most McDonald's jobs are [for] part-time students, improvements made by the union throughout the years have seen many workers stay in these jobs into their 50s,’ he told reporters.

mc2.jpg
The job ad was posted online. Credit: Facebook

He continued: ‘Older workers bring experience, stability and maturity to a workplace, and we call on McDonald's to end this discriminatory ageism.’

Max Whitehead, an Employment Relations expert, said that the ad was an obvious breach of the Human Right Act because it targeted workers between 16 and 60.

Mr Whitehead also called out the advert for its meagre $22.80 an hour offering.

Employment Law expert and Professor Bill Hodge explained that the Human Right Act bans discrimination against those over 60. However, he admitted that fast food restaurants were ‘in the clear’ when it came to the ‘under 16 age’ limit.

‘We discriminate against people 14 or 15 all the time, and it's justifiable to say: No, you can't drive a car, you can't leave school,’ he said.

Professor Hodge also claimed he couldn’t see a reason why anyone over 60 would be excluded, adding that he himself had retired at 77.

Simon Kenny, a spokesman for McDonald’s, stated he was aware that one of its franchisees created the job ad and drew attention on social media over the age range posted. He clarified that the ad’s aim is to welcome all ages to work at McDonald’s, but he also advised the franchisee to update the post to ‘avoid potential confusion’.

However, a manager at the specific McDonald’s branch in New Zealand claimed that the ‘head office’ made the final decision on the ad.

Nevertheless, the post still sparked major backlash on social media over the age range and the low pay.

‘Work for Macca's Auckland as long as you're not older than 60 years old!’ One social media user wrote.

Another replied: ‘Freedom from discrimination based on age is in our bill of rights.’

‘It is illegal to discriminate based on age for 60-year-olds, I'm guessing?’ Someone inquired. One online user responded to the post and said: ‘Yeah. 100 per cent illegal.’

‘[The rate of] $22.80 is a sad state of times for a graveyard or any time shift in general,’ another one pointed out.

However, some internet users said they could see why the age range is in place.

A former Macca’s worker shared that the graveyard shift at McDonald’s is ‘the most depressing and draining thing’ they’ve ever done.

‘16 is the youngest you can work. [McDonald's] put 60 as it is not easy working in fast food,’ one stated.

‘I'm sure there are people over 60s that can easily stand for five hours or more, but many can't.’

McDonald’s at Auckland Central has yet to release a statement.

This report comes after a McDonald’s Auckland customer made a shocking discovery about her McDonald’s burger. According to her, she went for a late-night dinner run before driving back home with her sister. When she went back home, her burger tasted ‘funny’. Find out what she saw in this article.
Key Takeaways
  • McDonald's has come under fire after posting a 'bizarre' job ad that indicated those over 60 were excluded from applying.
  • Legal experts, unions, and social media have condemned the ad for its 'ageism' and violation of the Human Rights Act.
  • Employment relations expert Max Whitehead also called out the advert for its meagre $22.80/hr pay.
  • McDonald's spokesman Simon Kenny said he had advised the franchisee to update the ad to avoid 'potential confusion'.
What’s your stance on this, members? Is this blatant ageism? Share your views in the comments below!

Sponsored
There are State laws throughout Australia addressing discrimination (Anti-Discrimination Commissions), with sections in the Acts referring to age-discrimination (which this is). There are also Human Rights Commissions (plus federal law on age discrimination). New Zealand should have similar laws in place, in which case they’d be in breach of.

It’s an unfair reality most people are facing: Older people have more difficulty finding jobs than younger people.

Unfortunately, ageism is a very real problem throughout many industries and professions – and McDonald’s has recently been dragged into the spotlight over a job advertisement they posted online.

The notice, posted to hire workers for the graveyard shift of the McDonald’s in Auckland Central, included a list of criteria. Surprisingly, it specified that they were only looking for people between the ages of 16 and 60.

The fast food giant said that the franchisee posted the advertisement as a way to try and make it sound ‘catchy’. However, the Auckland store manager placed the blame on the ‘head office’.

View attachment 19613
A McDonald’s franchise in New Zealand was called out for its ‘ageist’ job advertisement. Credit: Nothing Ahead/Pexels

Now, legal experts, unions, and social media users have banded together to condemn the ad for its ‘ageist’ approach to employment. One person even called it a ‘blatant’ violation of human rights.

The advertisement specified a 10 pm to 6 am shift and outlined the job benefits, including free meals, ‘discounted food anytime’ and special overnight allowances. All applicants were encouraged to ‘DM (directly message the store) for details or apply today via the link’.

The job ad also stated there were hours between five and 40 available per week and that experience wasn’t necessary to apply.

Joe Carolan from Unite Union in New Zealand explained the implications of the ad and the ‘bizarre’ ageism they shine a spotlight on.

‘Contrary to the myth that most McDonald's jobs are [for] part-time students, improvements made by the union throughout the years have seen many workers stay in these jobs into their 50s,’ he told reporters.

View attachment 19614

He continued: ‘Older workers bring experience, stability and maturity to a workplace, and we call on McDonald's to end this discriminatory ageism.’

Max Whitehead, an Employment Relations expert, said that the ad was an obvious breach of the Human Right Act because it targeted workers between 16 and 60.

Employment Law expert and Professor Bill Hodge explained that the Human Right Act bans discrimination against those over 60. However, he admitted that fast food restaurants were ‘in the clear’ when it came to the ‘under 16 age’ limit.

‘We discriminate against people 14 or 15 all the time, and it's justifiable to say: No, you can't drive a car, you can't leave school,’ he said.

Professor Hodge also claimed he couldn’t see a reason why anyone over 60 would be excluded, adding that he himself had retired at 77.

Simon Kenny, a spokesman for McDonald’s, stated he was aware that one of its franchisees created the job ad and drew attention on social media over the age range posted. He clarified that the ad’s aim is to welcome all ages to work at McDonald’s, but he also advised the franchisee to update the post to ‘avoid potential confusion’.

However, a manager at the specific McDonald’s branch in New Zealand claimed that the ‘head office’ made the final decision on the ad.

Nevertheless, the post still sparked major backlash on social media over the age range and the low pay.

‘Work for Macca's Auckland as long as you're not older than 60 years old!’ One social media user wrote.

Another replied: ‘Freedom from discrimination based on age is in our bill of rights.’

‘It is illegal to discriminate based on age for 60-year-olds, I'm guessing?’ Someone inquired. One online user responded to the post and said: ‘Yeah. 100 per cent illegal.’

‘[The rate of] $22.80 is a sad state of times for a graveyard or any time shift in general,’ another one pointed out.

A former Macca’s worker shared that the graveyard shift at McDonald’s is ‘the most depressing and draining thing’ they’ve ever done.

‘16 is the youngest you can work. [McDonald's] put 60 as it is not easy working in fast food,’ one stated.

‘I'm sure there are people over 60s that can easily stand for five hours or more, but many can't.’

This report comes after a McDonald’s Auckland customer made a shocking discovery about her McDonald’s burger. According to her, she went for a late-night dinner run before driving back home with her sister. When she went back home, her burger tasted ‘funny’. Find out what she saw in this article.
Key Takeaways

• McDonald's has come under fire after posting a 'bizarre' job ad that indicated those over 60 were excluded from applying.
  • Legal experts, unions, and social media have condemned the ad for its 'ageism' and violation of the Human Rights Act.
  • Employment relations expert Max Whitehead also called out the advert for its meagre $22.80/hr pay.
  • McDonald's spokesman Simon Kenny said he had advised the franchisee to update the ad to avoid 'potential confusion'.
What’s your stance on this, members? Is this blatant ageism? Share your views in the comments below!
I wish people would stop looking for ways to be offended. They should be able to put conditions on anything they want.

This is for McDonald's in New Zealand not Australia and different .

I'm sort of thinking though you should be allowed to hire what ever age group you want.

I worked in bridal and we were not allowed to advertise for female consultants yet how many women would want a male consultant helping pick out her dress and dress her.

Also we had men that would make appointments to try dresses on and we couldn't say no.

View attachment 19613

View attachment 19614

Key Takeaways

We live in an ageist society in Western culture. I've detailed my experiences trying to find a job only recently on one of these posts. Whilst the retirement age in China, where I used to work, is much lower. When my age was disclosed it was met with very positive comments and respect. The contributing factor as to why "seniors" struggle to find meaningful employment is that we have now reached a stage where BS is intolerable and those with entitled, woke attitudes are also intolerable. Meaningful employment, to me, is not free labour of volunteer work, but satisfying employment with a remuneration that reflects experience and work ethic. Working at Mc Donald's is where one starts their working life, sadly not ending it.

volunteering whether you are 16 or 60 is a very valuable and necessary aspect of our society. Get out there and do it.

I am, personally, over being told what I can and can't do. I had my own business for over 12 years and as far as I'm concerned I would hire or not hire whomever I pleased, not who some govt dept etc told me I could hire
Same with renting my house out. A standard lease form has a long list of whom you can or can't discriminate against. My house I'll rent it to whoever I damn well like, nobody else's business

volunteering whether you are 16 or 60 is a very valuable and necessary aspect of our society. Get out there and do it.
Agree, in part. Many people find volunteering valuable and rewarding. I do not, in my experience, it was only ever free labour.

View attachment 19613

View attachment 19614

Key Takeaways

Everyone knows McDonalds is for young people, my niece started at Maccas at 15 on weekends and after school, her sister worked there. Mum was single and on low wages so everyone had to pitch in, starting at Maccas was a way the kids provided for themselves and valued money. I think anyone 60 years old is too old, Maccas relates to youth , not aged pensioners.

There are State laws throughout Australia addressing discrimination (Anti-Discrimination Commissions), with sections in the Acts referring to age-discrimination (which this is). There are also Human Rights Commissions (plus federal law on age discrimination). New Zealand should have similar laws in place, in which case they’d be in breach of.
Thats a bit of a joke, imagine going into Maccas and having old people serving and not being as agile as the young ones. Lets be real here.

Let's get real. Imagine the ad was placed with no limitations and you were given an interview. Would you get the job if you were over 60?

Reactions: Linwar
$22 Casual night shift is pretty low anyway I think. Now you know why they increased the pension age, look at elderley Bunning workers and Bunnings flaunt the idea. At 60+ you should be winding down and definitely wouldn't have the stamina of a younger person. Now many businesses also won't display the seniors discount available at their premises either, as neighbourhood watch groups and the like call it discriminatory.

Reactions: Linwar