Maximise Your Tomato Yield with These Proven Tricks I've Tried and Tested!

As a seasoned gardener, there's a special kind of pride that comes with nurturing a tomato plant from a tiny seed to a bountiful producer of juicy, ripe tomatoes. It's a labour of love that requires patience, care, and a bit of green-thumb wisdom. But as the growing season winds down, every gardener faces the same dilemma: how to extend the harvest and make the most of those green tomatoes that stubbornly refuse to ripen on the vine. Over the years, I've tried various methods to coax these late bloomers into giving up their red treasures, and I'm here to share the tricks that have worked for me.

**Hang Your Tomatoes Upside Down**

One of the more traditional methods is to hang your tomato plants upside down. This involves cutting the plant at the root and suspending it in a sheltered space. The theory is that the plant will continue to send energy to the fruits, encouraging them to ripen. I've found this method to be fairly effective, but it's not without its drawbacks. It can be quite messy as the dying plant sheds leaves and soil, and you'll need a suitable space where you can tolerate a bit of mess. Plus, there's the occasional surprise of a tomato dropping unexpectedly. If you have a garage or a basement that you don't mind getting a little dirty, this could be a viable option for you.

1727235643791.png
Hanging the entire tomato plant upside down indoors can result in messy, space-consuming ripening of tomatoes. Credit: Shutterstock

**Bring Them Inside, Trellis and All**

For those who don't fancy upside-down tomatoes, another option is to bring the entire plant indoors, trellis included. This method requires ample space and can be quite a hassle to transport, but it allows you to continue harvesting tomatoes well into the cooler months. A friend of mine, Jeanne, has been doing this for years with great success. While I don't have the luxury of space to accommodate this method, it's a testament to the fact that with the right conditions, your tomato harvest can indeed be extended.

**Wrap Tomatoes in Newspaper**

An old-world technique that many swear by is wrapping individual green tomatoes in newspaper and storing them in a cool, dark place. This method is said to gradually ripen the tomatoes. However, my experience has been less than stellar. More often than not, I've ended up with a mouldy disaster rather than ripe tomatoes. While this method may work for some (and I do tip my hat to the Nonnas on TikTok who have mastered it), it's proven to be too labour-intensive and unreliable for my liking.

**Force Ripen Outdoors**

Perhaps the most straightforward approach is to force ripening while the tomatoes are still outdoors. This involves a rigorous pruning strategy where you strip the plant of all leaves and shoot up to the cluster of tomatoes, essentially leaving the plant bare. This encourages the plant to focus all its energy on ripening the existing fruit. You can also cover the plants with plastic to protect them from rain, which can cause the tomatoes to split. Once you notice a blush of colour on the tomatoes, indicating they've reached the 'breaker' stage, you can bring them indoors to ripen fully. Placing them near a banana, which emits ethylene gas, can help speed up the ripening process.

**My Top Tips for a Prolonged Tomato Harvest**

1. **Be proactive with pruning**: Regularly remove excess foliage to direct the plant's energy towards fruit ripening.
2. **Monitor weather conditions**: Protect your plants from early frosts and excessive rain by using covers or bringing them indoors.
3. **Harvest at the breaker stage**: Once there's a hint of color, pick the tomatoes and let them ripen indoors.
4. **Use ethylene to your advantage**: Store green tomatoes with bananas to encourage ripening.
5. **Stay patient and vigilant**: Sometimes, ripening takes time, and checking on your tomatoes regularly is key.
Key Takeaways
  • Hanging the entire tomato plant upside down indoors allows tomatoes to ripen eventually but can be messy and space-consuming.
  • Wrapping green tomatoes in a newspaper is a method some swear by, but it has not been successful for the author, often resulting in mouldy tomatoes.
  • Vigilant pruning of outdoor tomato plants and covering them with plastic can be effective for forcing ripening without indoor mess, though the yield may not be the highest.
Extending your tomato harvest can be a rewarding endeavour, allowing you to enjoy the fruits of your labour for just a bit longer. Whether you have a sprawling garden or a modest balcony setup, these methods can help you maximise your yield and savour the taste of homegrown tomatoes well into the cooler months. So, fellow green thumbs, what are your tried and tested tricks for prolonging the tomato season? Share your experiences and join the conversation with our community of seasoned gardeners at the Seniors Discount Club!

Sponsored